Bard Buff Ideas

Use this forum for general discussions

Bard Buff Ideas

Postby Aeribelle » Fri May 22, 2020 2:35 am

Hey all,

Recently returned to sloth, and loving it! Always loved bard, despite some obvious weakness' of the class. After some playing and getting used to some things, had some suggestions and ideas that might improve a bards performance.

1) First one is more a quality of life change. I've noticed groups tend to get bigger now then they used to, meaning the bard can no longer cover the entirety of a group. Bards get 11 targets at 40, and up to 3 from instrument... i suggest taking a few of the auto-targets away from bards, and give them some scaling on Charisma for aditional targets.

Put them to 9 targets at 40, and say... 1 extra per 4 charisma. at 8 charisma would be the same, and around 8 they'd have 5 extra targets, putting a benifit on charisma for groups, and allowing bards to cover their party more easily. Charisma in a group doesn't have much use atm, save from the rare need to reign, so would make it more worthwhile a stat to keep in a group.

2) Dance of the Seven Luck Gods - A bards true 'prime skill'. It has uses, but its very hard to use, especially in a group. Had an interesting idea to incorporate it into a group mechanic, gems. Now, its usual proc only affects mobs when they spawn... but gems don't spawn until it dies. Why not allow a bard to sing Luck Gods to increase the chance of gem pops as it does on eq pops? It would add overall value to a group, as well as give a second bard something to do when in a group (not that there are any bards atm). I don't think it would be able to be heavily utilized solo since the song has a heavy mana cost and shuts down your other songs. I would also suggest that Dance be moved to 'sing only', to further hinder its abuse solo, so spell casting with it will interrupt it automatically.

3) Avatar Skill: Harmony - A way to really make bards shine in groups... Allow them to utilize multiple songs at once. They have the ability to sing songs, as all people can. And Bard Primes also get the ability to play songs, allowing them to cast while playing. But wht not allow an avatar bard the ability to do both? Let them play one song, and sing another (after all, they can cast spells while playing, why not sing?). Of course the singing song would be at jeopardy if they cast something else, but thats just the way of things. (Also, if this and the dance change are considered, REALLY suggest making dance sing only so its the one most at jeopardy... trying to limit the solo abuse on popping gems. the suggestion is meant to be a group benifit!)

Just a few suggestions to put a little more strength into bards in the group scene, because that is where they are supposed to shine! Let me know what you think.
Aeribelle
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 03, 2020 6:02 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Bard Buff Ideas

Postby Gorka » Fri May 22, 2020 4:40 am

I don't think there are any coders with enough time to do anything at the moment. That's the reality. #makecodersgreatagain

Aeribelle wrote:Bard can no longer cover the entirety of a group.

There also appears to be a bug, as it says I can cover 14 people with my song, but can only ever do 13.

Aeribelle wrote:Had an interesting idea to incorporate it into a group mechanic, gems.

Personally I don't agree with a bard song for increased gem rates. Gems are actually plentiful. You probably weren't playing in the older times when gem rates were way worse than they are now. I think the current problem is due to large and slow groups. Mobs only pop one gem - which is effectively split between 15+ people. Groups aren't the most effective way to get gems. It's better to solo lvl 41 mobs and trade with Reece. Also buying gems on auction I note is currently 3x cheaper than in days gone past. If people realised that grouping isn't the best way to get gems, there really isn't a problem here.

Aeribelle wrote:3) Avatar Skill: Harmony

I would like to see a bard song that joins gods and valor. I sing both songs in a group, so it's already possible to have both affects from a single bard - but it's annoying because the songs cut each other out and spells make interruptions. Resinging is spell lag. This situation will be better with the shofar at 9x40. I don't think all songs make harmonies... cry/reign... it would be better to make individual songs (gods of valor) which joined the effects. Although perhaps harmony could improve effects or mana efficiency as a separate skill.

For some reason Sanctuary for the Soul can be sung while fighting, but Sanctuary for the Body can't - totally defeating the purpose really of the avatar version. It's literally a few seconds to change that in the code.

I'd like to see bard songs with the ability to stun, paralyze, or petrify mobs, as these procs are under utilised in sloth and lend themselves the folk lore of wailing etc. The general idea behind sonic damage could be enhanced.

Charming is a valid bard skill, but that system needs work and it overlaps with necro too much. It needs to be more legalised and legitimately defined. Clearly some dodgy immortals modified mob levels to create some super high level charms in the past. Most are now patched.

However I see the Bard instrument slot as the best opportunity for improving the bard class, it just begs to have items with effect procs.

Obviously almost EVERYTHING bard orientated should scale on charisma.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
User avatar
Gorka
Avatar Poster
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:50 am
Status: Offline

Re: Bard Buff Ideas

Postby Aeribelle » Fri May 22, 2020 5:07 am

Gorka wrote:Personally I don't agree with a bard song for increased gem rates. Gems are actually plentiful. You probably weren't playing in the older times when gem rates were way worse than they are now. I think the current problem is due to large and slow groups. Mobs only pop one gem - which is effectively split between 15+ people. Groups aren't the most effective way to get gems. It's better to solo lvl 41 mobs and trade with Reece. Also buying gems on auction I note is currently 3x cheaper than in days gone past. If people realised that grouping isn't the best way to get gems, there really isn't a problem here.


I only know i played ages ago when they really WANTED gem popping to be done in groups, not solo. They raised the 'level' of mobs required to 41 specifically for that purpose, and drastically increased the rarity. Granted, power has grown immensely since i played years ago, but figured that was still true, that grouping was preferred.

Gorka wrote:I would like to see a bard song that joins gods and valor. I sing both songs in a group, so it's already possible to have both affects from a single bard - but it's annoying because the songs cut each other out and spells make interruptions. Resinging is spell lag. This situation will be better with the shofar at 9x40. I don't think all songs make harmonies... cry/reign... it would be better to make individual songs (gods of valor) which joined the effects. Although perhaps harmony could improve effects or mana efficiency as a separate skill.


Efficiency is what i was thinking. instead of relying only on your instruments duration, you could keep up two songs and save on mana of having to sing them, cutting down on that. Adding in spells to of course would keep one down more.

Regarding reign/cry, that abuse would be halted early just because there is still the spell-lag of activating a song, so it'd be no different then we already have for instant songs, this is more suggested for keeping up songs in groups more.

Mostly the ability to utilize more songs. Be nice to keep up a gods while having to sing sanct for instance, or things like that.

Gorka wrote:For some reason Sanctuary for the Soul can be sung while fighting, but Sanctuary for the Body can't - totally defeating the purpose really of the avatar version. It's literally a few seconds to change that in the code.


I was sad to hear this. I was looking forward to not needing to spam sanctuary of the soul so much in proc fights :(


Gorka wrote:I'd like to see bard songs with the ability to stun, paralyze, or petrify mobs, as these procs are under utilised in sloth and lend themselves the folk lore of wailing etc. The general idea behind sonic damage could be enhanced.
+
However I see the Bard instrument slot as the best opportunity for improving the bard class, it just begs to have items with effect procs.


Those would be cool. And would be a something that could easily be added to procs of instruments too, give more then one choice then 'generic worst--best' instrument lineup we have.
Aeribelle
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 03, 2020 6:02 pm
Status: Offline


Return to General Chat (Registered)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron