40 mage equipment?

Information about the mage class

40 mage equipment?

Postby Absu » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:06 am

I'll be 40 prime mage in a few days and any equipment help is appreciated.

Does spelldamage equip make it that much better? I was looking at the eq list and didn't see much spelldam equipment that wasn't drachma/forge related or autoquest rewards that I have no idea where to find, and even then most is 2x40 or better. I don't have any spell bonus equip and only about 3-5 bonus MR at the moment. Almost everything I am using is things people gave to me or I bought from armor/auction shops.

Is there any decent mage equipment that is easy to pop solo? I see a lot of good looking forge stuff but I don't think I can really solo any of the areas the forges are in. Just assume that I would be level 40 mage.

Anyway, here is my current equip and stats.
[size=75:1fo0zyfy]
Ma: 37 Dr: 20 Cl: 20 Mo: 8
16/18/17/17/13 nat
-4.2ac with stone skin

<used as light> a blue egg
<worn on finger> a greenish ring
<worn on finger> a greenish ring
<worn around neck> a gold chain
<worn on shoulders> enchanted shoulder guards
<worn on body> a suit of mystic plate mail
<worn on head> a woven cloth cap
<worn on legs> a pair of silver leg plates
<worn on feet> some snowshoes
<worn on hands> a pair of jeweled gloves
<worn on arms> green cloth sleeves
<worn as shield> a bronze shield with a quickling emblem..It has a soft glowing aura!
<worn about body> a red robe
<worn about waist> a dull red belt
<worn around wrist> an emerald bracelet
<worn around wrist> a leather wrist guard
<wielded> the Mace of Bane..It emits a faint humming sound!
<held> a book of knowledge..It has a soft glowing aura!

[/size:1fo0zyfy]
Absu

Postby 13 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:42 am

did you get that shit out of necrad's robe?
The perfect blend of poetry and meanness..
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby *juggleblood* » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:11 am

A crystalline robe would be a good start. Start doin the autoquests and save up some drachma.
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Diazz_Dizazter » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:51 am

Most 40 mage prime equipment ive seen is like no ac, and 15 mana or
mana and regen and no ac. Alll the good stuff is AQ.

The number none....

When ya got nothing....you got nothing to loose...
Diazz_Dizazter
Double 40 Poster

spellbonus

Postby Avatar » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:58 am

The runed onyx bracelets would seem to be the easiest to collect, but as you mention they are restricted to 2x40. The good spellbonus eq is definitely autoquest, starting with the crystalline robe.

On the other question though, I think spellbonus is worthwhile for a mage. Most avatar-level mages wear some amount of spellbonus. It depends on what you have to give up tp gain the spellbonus. The crystalline robe has AC, so if you're giving up anything from other robes you can wear it might be 1 mr or some small amount of mana. Not a small sacrifice for the spellbonus, if you can afford the drachma.
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Rynquald » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:51 pm

Not to forget the mage prime aq, only 8 spellbonus, but it's a start.
Be quiet or i'll stab you quiet -BM
Rynquald
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Medios » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:10 pm

I believe that instead of petty eq advice maybe a more philisophical approach may help you more. This is mainly how I feel about playing a char on sloth.

Play your classo

This means if your mage prime, concentrate on some mage eq first and foremost. Mage eq is things with spellbonus, mana, and mana regen. If you come acrros eq with other advantages you can work those in. Druid secondary to me is all about mana regen and gives you alot more choices for getting the said mr.

Mages are powerful damage machines. We use mages to deal the fastest damage to monsters. A strong mage wants the maximum spellbonus. At lower levels I feel you should concentrate more on using mirror image and blasting modes to kill things. Lead with blasting and keep going til the stuff dies, your ac at 0 wont be much different than -3. I see young mages playing like thieves, attack something that hits hard with low hp. The mirrors will save you and the extra mana gear you wear will purchase more mirrors thru the run.

Im not saying that in the future you wont want to wear ac gear. This should grow as your char grows. As your monk levels get higher or double 40 and triple 40 come your eq decisions will change. A majority of avatars have at least 2 eq modes, this consists of mana regen/mana mode and a -10/bonus mode. Sometimes other modes are required such as undead control, shapeshift, maxmana, group mode etc.

Dont be discouraged by eq. The eq that players wear is deserved. Some is not easy to get but worth the overall effort. Try to work on things that you can use, learn some areas on your own, cycle some sbs on your own, and most of all have fun. If I post anymore Ill get flamed. Peace.
Fight the Good Fight!

~[DoW]~
Medios

Postby tincts » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:50 am

Eq can almost be considered "the other half of the journey" to xp. It takes quite a long time to develop your own eq plan, based on how you like to play, the place you find yourself filling in groups etc. Like leveling your character, you can start off getting basic eq pretty fast, but in the same way that higher levels start to become harder and harder to attain, so too eq becomes more work intensive. You find yourself working putting in a lot more work for relatively small gains in AC, MR etc.

My main character has pretty straight forward demands on eq. I'm Wa Cl Ma Th. I've aimed at getting AC primarily, then Mana regen, then healo gear. But because of the nature of my character, stats etc, AC/HP gear is number 1 (for tanking) then maybe a higher dam at less AC. After this, I've decided to spend my efforts on getting gear to give me a good running healo character in groups. In the dim future, I may aim at developing a stab dam and blast mode, but that's not the way I tend to play.

You'll develop your own play style, and with that come up with the modes you prefer to run. Point is, see it as a longer term project. Envisage how you would like to use your character, and aim at that. You'll start to identify needs yourself, then can use the eq list and the advice of others to fill those needs.
The man was either mad or both.
tincts
Double 40 Poster

Postby Absu » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:28 am

So is the crystalline robe something all mages get? Doesn't look like there is a better robe for a mage, but I'm pretty weary of spending 150 drachma on something. I did a 'locate object' and there was a lot of them in use.

BTW I hit 40 prime tonight. I got laughed at for wearing AC gear so I guess I need to find some mage stuff. :P

Also, is it even possible to get multiple drachma items, especially the huge 1000+ dr ones? I know there is drachma scatters but I always miss them.
Absu

Postby Akasha » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:36 am

Yes, there are hundreds of autoquests in the game that give drachma rewards. You just have to talk to the mobs, and ask around.
I'm not forsaken, but I am the only one.
Akasha
Double 40 Poster

Postby Rynquald » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:17 am

Nods, most mages get either a crystalline silk robe or a cloak of eternal darkness (cloak's like silk, but with 25 mana and no ac), and I think it's 250 drachma actually :)

It's probably not worth worrying too much about drachma eq besides the robe for a while, quests get a lot easier once you can solo some of the bigger mobs.

Gratz on 40 too.
Be quiet or i'll stab you quiet -BM
Rynquald
Triple 40 Poster

Postby smig1o » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:49 pm

Hi
My the only char in game is Ma/Dr/Cl/Wa.
Sounds familiar?
Well.. Getting eq at lower levels is really hard.
Esp. that most mobs can kill you in no-time cos of your low hp/ac.
But.. You have Dr in your calsso so take a look at shapeshift. Most shiftable forms, esp. above 40 lev have good ac and tons of HP. tha will allow you get most eq you need. And Cl will give you one of the most usefull supp for your classo - nightmare. Shifted form + nightmare alows you kill amost any mob ingame. Just lear blast(breathe) + flee tactics.

And gratz on 40 prime.

And good luck
smig1o

Postby Messiaen » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:39 pm

Hi, Pee.

First of all, in my opinion your classo is a total bullshit.

And also I'd like to tell you that squeezing eq at low price saying you don't have money to pay and selling it at higher price is ugly. I don't like you. Bye.

Now about the mage stuff etc. I can tell you all that even a naked mage at 40 prime can kill stuff that some tards can't even imagine. The hardest part is to figure ways to do it.

I agree with Mike when he says that it is good to play your classo. If you can't figure... Well, try cycling stuff in groups.

One more thing. In my opinion adding more spelldam eq would be completely wrong, cause even now we have enough spelldam eq to heavily overcap spelldam no matter what classo you play. And even more -- all of it can be worn by a 2x40 char. I don't like it either.
Messiaen
40 Prime Poster

Postby Tap » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:51 pm

bump
Tap

Postby Leaf » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:41 pm

Messiaen why would his class order be bullshit???

Also I would like to see you solo some shit a avatar can't at a lvl 40 Mage.
Not a lvl 40 mage + 40 40 40 40.

Mirrors, blast n flee doesn't work well when ur naked very well at all.
Leaf

Next

Return to Mage