Suggestions on some skills/spells

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

Suggestions on some skills/spells

Postby Alexdmage » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:02 am

I was playing a Ma/Ne/Dr/Mo for a while and now i want to make some suggestions on this classes (mostly on druid). Just like Next in his topic on necros i will just bring up bunch of ideas on skills, that are not nearly overpowering but can be handy or just fun.

Druid.
1. Natures familiar is a pretty sad spell. Treant are weak, has low tohit to damage, and immobile (making level dependent duration kind of a disadvantage). And we only can summon treants. Adding some more creatures would be fun. Of course summoning followers to fight for him sounds more like what necros should do, but those new followers not necessary must be a fighting mobs. If it was me, i would make it like that:
Level 10 : Treant
Level 20 : Deer (mount)
Level 30 : Troll (blocker which will only allow a caster to pass)
Level 40 : Leprechaun (true familiar, that can be used for cr)

2. Some shapeshifts skills can be handy and fun, but are almost never being used, cause they belong to low level forms (And you also must remove your eq to shift and use them, making you vulnerable to thieves). I'm talking about farlook and sniff commands. Spells like Eagle Eye and Hound's Nose that will allow use of farlook and sniff in human form can
hardly be called overpower and can bring a new fun to playing. (Also it's kind of waste of coders work to leave it like now).

3. It would be EXTREMALLY fun to make some of druid forms mountable (elephant? or even dragon?) Not that it will be very usefull, only fun :)

4. Druid's spell will'o'wisp is exactly the same as magic lantern. It would make more sense if this spell would actually summon a wisp, that would make darkness in the room to disappear.

Monk
Kick skill is useless for monks mostly. But not if we will make advanced monks be able to attack several opponents with kick. (Circle Kick?)

Necromancer
1. Instead of giving a necros several direct damage spells like destruct, word of pain, etc, it would be an interesting idea to make combat spell that would summon small mob (lesser demon?) to attack a target and then disappear after target dies. As an alternative we can make a normal
summon that will take only a limited number of orders, probably only 1.

2. How about giving 1 more use for corpses? Something like sacrificing a corpse to dark forces instead of gods to gain small amouns of ma (hp?). 5ma for a corpse will not make a big difference in a game balance.

Mage
1. As an addition to familiars we can make a spell like Astral Projection, that would create a small mob that can't carry items like watchers, but can be controlled directly like druids forms, with only difference that human body will left on a old place, instead of moving it into unreachable
location like in a druids case.

2. Spell like Hypnotize, that will not make creature your follower, but will make it obey ONE your order would be a nice addition to mage spells. It can have a bigger chance to success than Charm Person or just be cheaper to cast.

Feel free to criticize me :)
Alexdmage

Re: Suggestions on some skills/spells

Postby Ender » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:52 am

[quote="Alexdmage":109cqtem]3. It would be EXTREMALLY fun to make some of druid forms mountable (elephant? or even dragon?) Not that it will be very usefull, only fun :)[/quote:109cqtem]
Don't know that I'd want to give someone else control over my movement. Large agros aren't terribly hard to come by, would be a relatively simple tactic to shadow someone until they were drained from a battle, then mount them and run them into another agro. If you had the cleric levels to pull it off, you could then intentionally shock and loot. This is a high level example, but last I looked mount didn't have a level restriction. Any level 1 could hi-jack you and run you to a fade (for example). Think GTA VC.
[quote="Alexdmage":109cqtem]2. How about giving 1 more use for corpses? Something like sacrificing a corpse to dark forces instead of gods to gain small amouns of ma (hp?). 5ma for a corpse will not make a big difference in a game balance.[/quote:109cqtem]
Um...
[quote="Sloth III Help":109cqtem]INFUSE SOUL
See also: -
Usage: cast 'infuse soul'
Accumulative: No
Duration: Instantaneous
Level: Necromancer 30
Save: -
Spellbook: a book of stolen souls
Min Mana: 27

This spell infuses the soul of the dead into a special potion that can
later be quaffed. Quaffing a soul infusion has healing properties to
those evil enough to dare drink a soul.[/quote:109cqtem]

[quote="Alexdmage":109cqtem]1. As an addition to familiars we can make a spell like Astral Projection, that would create a small mob that can't carry items like watchers, but can be controlled directly like druids forms, with only difference that human body will left on a old place, instead of moving it into unreachable location like in a druids case.[/quote:109cqtem]
Ok... I'm confused. You can't cast in a safe room, so you're suggesting that you leave your body unattended somewhere not safe? Thieves will love you...

[quote="Alexdmage":109cqtem]2. Spell like Hypnotize, that will not make creature your follower, but will make it obey ONE your order would be a nice addition to mage spells. It can have a bigger chance to success than Charm Person or just be cheaper to cast.[/quote:109cqtem]
Again, not sure where you're going with this, but basically sounds like you're trying to get around the maximum number of followers. Only other real use would be to have mobs attack each other, which is one of the reasons why the throw command was removed from the game. Also, charm person results in the mob hating you, so this would basically be equivilent of ordering a mob to attack you...
Ender
40 Prime Poster

Postby Alexdmage » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:48 am

About mounts:
What was I meaning to say is not to give someone full control of your movement but instead give YOU an ability to carry someone where you want. In case you don't know mounts can carry a player on their own will and moreover mount can refuse to move where player wants him to go and even force a player to unmount.

About infusions:
It's absolutly useless to spend mana to infuse a small corpse and receive a potion with cure light/minor/etc that will crumble in a few minutes. And I was mostly talking about receiving mana, not hp.

About Astral Projection:
It would be too good if you could make a projection AND be sure that your human body will be untouched. Yet I personally would use such spell anyway.

And you are probably right about Hypnotize. I was thinking only about making mobs move, equip/remove of use items.
Alexdmage

Postby Ender » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:41 pm

[quote="Alexdmage":3khiqe91]About mounts:
What was I meaning to say is not to give someone full control of your movement but instead give YOU an ability to carry someone where you want. In case you don't know mounts can carry a player on their own will and moreover mount can refuse to move where player wants him to go and even force a player to unmount.[/quote:3khiqe91]
Aye, however, if I mount Flossie and type north, Flossie goes north. There are conditions, etc, but for the most part, Flossie goes where I want her to. There is also the flip side of the coin... which would be you carrying someone over to the chasm and forcing them to dismount.
[quote="Alexdmage":3khiqe91]About infusions:
It's absolutly useless to spend mana to infuse a small corpse and receive a potion with cure light/minor/etc that will crumble in a few minutes. And I was mostly talking about receiving mana, not hp.[/quote:3khiqe91]
This doesn't seem like a big thing, admittedly, however players do get creative. With carve and the embalm skill it doesn't seem overly difficult to gather a large number of corpses in a sack. This would make a sack of such roughly equivilent to a mana potion, something which I don't believe has ever been allowed on Sloth.

[quote="Alexdmage":3khiqe91]About Astral Projection:
It would be too good if you could make a projection AND be sure that your human body will be untouched. Yet I personally would use such spell anyway.[/quote:3khiqe91]
I concede.
Ender
40 Prime Poster

Postby Alexdmage » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:23 pm

Hehe, you are right. I haven't realized that a *mana potion* can be created that way :) Thought it would take some time to gather couple hundred corpses :P
Alexdmage

Postby Ender » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:16 pm

Yes, it's impractical. I can think of a couple situations I might try though.
Ender
40 Prime Poster

skills i would like to see

Postby doug » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:36 am

Thieves:
I think thief prime is ok, but non-prime thief skills are in pitiful shape, especially compared to monk, which is I believe the most comparable class. How many new players do you see even bothering to put thief in their classo?

non-prime thief skill ideas:
blind/gouge - make this a skill for thieves so they can blind without using mana
agility - make thieves unbashable
shadows - makes thieves automatically hiddden in dark rooms

There should be others but I'm having trouble thinking of any now. Something that would be useful in group similar to stun would be good.

Necro:
Gate spell! single continent relocate spell, I mean come on, anything like this would be useful. Call it temporal shift.

I like the idea of getting some minor healing or even xp for necros from saccing corpses. Even if it's a pitance , it would be neat.

Extended corpsing time. :)

Druid:
Plant. Let druids plant something similar to a lloyds beacon as long as its outside and then be able to return to it in some way. I would say just gate back to it, but not gate spell here either.

Warrior - Additional damage bonus if using a 2 handed weapon.

sleepy
doug

Postby Leizu » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:16 am

Treants are not so bad. Yes, they almost don't do any dmg but still are good to save valuable undeads when you're soloing big mobs.
Leizu

Postby Ender » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:04 pm

Actually, I've always found that kind of funny. We have summon, gate, then nothing until relocate.

Would be somewhat cool to have an in between spell. For instance:

[quote="Gathering":1fr7nt3r]GATHERING

Usage: cast 'gathering' <target>
Accumulative: no
Duration: 3 hours
Level: Cleric 35, Druid 30
Save: N/A
Spellbook: named 'Stonehenge'
Min mana: 90

This spell will summon the person named. Gathering will open a one-sided
portal: the portal will be visible at the location where the person to be
gathered is, and anybody there can enter it. It cannot be entered in
the opposite direction. An unconscious target will be dragged into
the portal; it is a great way to rescue the mortally wounded.[/quote:1fr7nt3r]

Basically, it's a summon spell with 2 key differences. First, there's no silly level restrictions. Second, it can trans continents. Doesn't help you get where you're going, but makes forming a group a lot simpler. Additional benefit could be allowing it to suck in both mortally wounded and dead players.

I tried thinking of a version necros could use... but they already have summon undead and summon horde. I can't think of anyone else they'd really want to be near. This spell might also be appropriate for Bards.. since they like large groups of people... dunno.
Ender
40 Prime Poster

Postby blackmore » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:59 pm

Bards have this spell already, but the intercontinental version is level 38 avatar. It's actually a lloyds beacon that opens a 1-way portal. I know it isn't really the same thing, but I thought I'd point out the a relatively similar (if less powerful) version of what you're suggesting is level 38 avatar.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Ender » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:47 pm

Heh, figures.

Thanks Blackmore.
Ender
40 Prime Poster

Return to Mud Suggestions