Spirit Watcher

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

Spirit Watcher

Postby Aubec » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:09 am

Figure I'd give this suggestion thing a whirl. Since Weasel seems to enjoy it maybe I will also.

How about on the spirit watcher spell allowing it to tell when you are dead? Such as if it tells you your mob is up. And you are dead, it will gossip 'I cant tell Aubec ... cause he is dead.' or just something plain like 'Aubec is dead.'

Might be stupid but it would have helped me a couple times.. anyways now my brain hurts. haha
Aubec

Death

Postby Ender » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:47 pm

This is a cool idea for solos. For those without ICQ/AIM/Yahoo, it would greatly increase the chances of someone being able to help you out. Perhaps a cleric spell... level 15 or so.

Guardian Angel
Duration: Until released
Min mana: 100

Summons a personal guardian angel (ethereal?) who accompanies the traveler whereever they may go. This peaceful spirit cannot engage in combat of any kind because it's hands are already full with the single recall scroll it carries. Upon the summoner's death, the little angel recites its scroll upon the caster (and/or calls for help...). After the caster has died or been raised, the angel returns to the ether from which it came.

How does something like this sound?
Ender
40 Prime Poster

spirit watcher target

Postby Zenkai » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:22 am

[color=yellow:12aqsfwb]Elric's homunculus tells you 'I sense your target is coming, sir.'
Elric's homunculus tells you 'I sense your target is coming, sir.'
Elric's homunculus tells you 'I've found an intelligent monk in A Grass Hut, sir!'
Elric's homunculus tells you 'I've found Ur-Baal in An Unexcavated Cave, sir!'[/color:12aqsfwb]

Would be nice to know what "target" is coming :) if you are using this spell with more than one mob.

I love this spell - great job to whoever wrote it.
Zenkai

Re: Death

Postby Dariel » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:19 am

[quote="Ender":1wh2h51s]This is a cool idea for solos. For those without ICQ/AIM/Yahoo, it would greatly increase the chances of someone being able to help you out. Perhaps a cleric spell... level 15 or so.<BR><BR>Guardian Angel<BR>Duration: Until released<BR>Min mana: 100<BR><BR>Summons a personal guardian angel (ethereal?) who accompanies the traveler whereever they may go. This peaceful spirit cannot engage in combat of any kind because it's hands are already full with the single recall scroll it carries. Upon the summoner's death, the little angel recites its scroll upon the caster (and/or calls for help...). After the caster has died or been raised, the angel returns to the ether from which it came.<BR><BR><BR><BR>How does something like this sound?[/quote:1wh2h51s]Sounds great! I think it is really a nice idea. It would be good enough if Guardian Angel could at least gossip about summoner's death. It defintly solves a problem when people use ICQ/and other instant messangers to let others know about deaths. I think it is a must be spell, even if it requires all your mana to cast it ;)
Dariel

Postby Alberich » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:27 am

so... you're a th/xx, with about 250-300 mana at triple40... do you -
a - cast this 100 mana spell, thus using up a large percentage of your mana, and have a very short run during which you will probably die due to lack of mana
b - say 'hell with this', run like normal, and either sit in a chan for safety or use icq?

it's a nice idea, for avatar types with 500+ mana - I really do not think anyone else would ever bother casting (and even then - i would rather drop chan and hope someone notices, and have an extra 100 mana to use towards my survival).
Alberich

Heh... 100 mana?

Postby Ender » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:18 pm

I am also a thief/warrior... I have very little mana and horrible regen. If you noticed, the spell does say the guardian exists 'until released'. After all what good would it do if it expired just before you died? Cast the spell, sit out the regen, and run as normal anyway.

Familiars don't expire, why should this?
Ender
40 Prime Poster

Heh... 100 mana?

Postby Ender » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:18 pm

I am also a thief/warrior... I have very little mana and horrible regen. If you noticed, the spell does say the guardian exists 'until released'. After all what good would it do if it expired just before you died? Cast the spell, sit out the regen, and run as normal anyway.

Familiars don't expire, why should this?
Ender
40 Prime Poster

guardian angel or call from beyond?

Postby Alexdmage » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:19 pm

I think, that in the form of Guardian angel spell this idea goes against mud background. You can see that mud rules forbid some things to be done with o&shy;nly 1 player (like morting, eq transfer) and allow them to&nbsp;a group of players. In other words because of these&nbsp;rules you must make contacts with other players, become friends with them, etc. So idea of a spell that will inform entire mud, that you are dead somewhere is against it. It would be better if a spell would allow you to ask o&shy;nE player for help when you are dead. Something like spell - Call from beyond, lev 27 necromancer, 50 mana, that can be cast when you are dead, delivering message to target player.
Alexdmage

Contact with players?

Postby Ender » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:16 pm

What?

Interesting interpretation of the rules... However, having a spell that recalls you simply makes corpse retrievel easier. Even at that, there are still a large number of mobs that loot corpses near recall points. Ideally, this would bring you to a beacon or something similar. This isn't exactly making life easier for anyone, it just provides a small blanket for those that know more about the mud than just doing what the group leader tells them.

Grouping and socializing is important and all... but they can be overdone. Just look at some of the Avatars that couldn't tell you how they got there...
Ender
40 Prime Poster

Postby Alberich » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:14 pm

personally, I solo more than anything else, and I would much, much rather corpse at my mob, 99 times out of 100. There are more wandering mobs that loot in town, and gee, wouldn't that be a convinient place for pthieves to hang out? I will almost always ask people on icq before I will even try dropping from whatever chan I'm on, because having someone gossip 'so and so is dead at such and such' can become a beacon for pthieves to lurk at recall, and snag your crap if you shock/corpse and are grabbing from your corpse.
I guess I just fail to see why having more spam on gossip, and more looted corpses in towns, would be considered a good/usefull thing?
Alberich

Good or useful

Postby Ender » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:27 pm

No, there are several flaws to this idea. However, the idea itself is useful, so I am attempting to discover a way to make it work. Critisism is often very useful in doing so.

The necro class was mentioned earlier, and that brought some other ideas to mind...

Upon reflection, I agree that the corpse is best left where it lay. What is needed is protection from looting mobs. I thought that perhaps a spell like 'Hallowed ground' for clerics would be useful to protect your corpse from mobs... still be vulnerable to pthieves, provided they know where it is. Or perhaps a spell that allows you to 'summon' your corpse for mages. It may still be looted, but at least you'd have a head start on getting it back.

My most interesting idea was definately for necros. Something along the lines of a 'living dead' spell. Instead of laying dead on the ground for 5 ticks, you would instead change into an ethereal ghost. Incapable of combat, casting, reciting scrolls, using channgels, talking, etc. You could then spend that 5 ticks walking around looking for a place to corpse. Preferably one you could get back to and a fair distance away from looting mobs and pthieves.

Anyway, suggestions and ideas are welcome.
Ender
40 Prime Poster

Return to Mud Suggestions