Pthieves/Jail/Bot

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

Pthieves/Jail/Bot

Postby Guinex » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:10 am

I have an idea that will either be hated or loved.

Pthieves that get thrown in jail must be at the keyboard during the time that they are sentenced, otherwise there sentence is prolonged. Something along the sorts of using a command to many times in a row would prong the state, or voiding out would make them log in with 2x duratiion in jail.

Imho i think this sounds reasonable along these sorts with some type of penalty put in place for botting when in jail to be relieved from punishment.

Note that I am not one that is against pthieving, it does bring me entertainment at downtimes and i don't mind talking trash to them from time to time. :lol:

Are you pickin up what im puttin down?

*smoke*
Guinex
Double 40 Poster

Postby Guinex » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:11 am

Just to inforce my statement.

Harlot - Jail Cell

I have been logged on for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes, and i have not been capable of even talking trash to him. :(
Guinex
Double 40 Poster

Good idea but....

Postby Harlot » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:23 am

Don't have a problem sitting at the keyboard while I wait but extending my sentence if I'm not? Only problem I have with that is being jailed when not boarded but known pthief is OK but being jailed and sitting indefeinitly blows... having an Imm tell you well ugh I don't know ask Splork and Splork not responding. You think I'm gonna sit at this keyboard and stare at the screen for hours at end (yes I see the irony) while jailed? Hah hah.. don't think so..I just find it funny that as sucky as I am at pthieving I get a a 'harsh' sentence
yet pthieving is ok....also now it seems I won't be able to come out unless MUD has been up for 2-3 days since the only way out of jail now is thru reboot/crash. Can't play other char's when in jail aka multilayomg soif I get jailed I'm screwed till the reset/crash. Still not a biggie as I never claimed to want to be a master pthief. I'll just hang out. :twisted:

Flame if you wish but my thoughts not scrambled..I'm just high
Harlot
40 Prime Poster

Postby Guinex » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:48 pm

Tissue?
Guinex
Double 40 Poster

Postby 12345 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:41 pm

What a concept... the jail doing what it's supposed to.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby *juggleblood* » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:22 am

Could someone post a rough explanation of how jail and 'getting boarded' works?

i.e. is it only boarded pthieves that go to jail?

do all the sashes have potential to catch him, or just patrol leader?

if you have the cell keys, can u get in and kill the thief?

if a thief goes to jail, do the sashes confiscate stolen eq/gold?

how long is the thief stuck in jail?

how long is a player boarded for a failed steal attempt?

just curious,

thx
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Guinex » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:01 am

Shit, do you want some lube with that?
Guinex
Double 40 Poster

Postby Wasp » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:19 pm

The same applies to this thread as was requested of the pthieving thread. Do not let this thread get out of hand.
Wasp
Wasp

Postby 12345 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:28 pm

The basics as I know them:

I'm not sure exactly how you get flagged as a pthief, but generally, you have to steal something from a player. Coins are generally easier to steal than items, mostly because you only need to suceed 1 time to get an item worth 10 million coins and you'd have to steal coins multiple times to get something of the same value.

I've seen thieves get nabbed by the sash commander that aren't currently boarded.... at least I think I have. The sash commander is the primary mob that jail, however Splork has announced a recent change that makes other sash and town residents capable of this as well.

The jail is a bad bad place. Basically, the available commands are only slightly better than being dead or frozen. Killing isn't possible, so if you tried to get into the jail and kill them, you'd basically only suceed in letting them out. Of note, you can't quit! in jail anymore... which means you can only drop link, which means that if you try to play another char while jailed, you are multiplaying and become wipeable. This includes bringing on a mult to unlock the door.

As far as I know, the thief keeps everything on them and nothing is taken away other than their ability to play. I'm not sure that there is a way out of jail other than another player obtaining the key and letting you out, or the gods releasing you. I'm not sure on the time limits, if there are any, before release.

I do know that you're boarded for about 30 minutes after a failed steal attempt. I know that lower level chars have been given some protection by the gods from stealing. I'm not sure how low you have to be though.

I also know that most pthieves will try to run and hide somewhere where you can't follow or are limited on what you can do. Chasing a pthief can be VERY dangerous. If the thief isn't boarded, it's even more dangerous. I've seen players acid shower the junk dealer while trying to kill thieves and wind up dead themselves. Anyplace underwater is popular, as well as places you can fall and mort... waterbreath is almost mandatory, though fly can work against you if they run someplace that you can't enter flying. Crystal Falls is one of Poolp's favorite hangouts, because you need fly, waterbreath and a raft (rafts aren't sold on bh) or waterwalk. Derro has a vault on BH that he likes to hide in when not boarded, but it's not safe for him anymore.

So, those are the basics as I know them. I don't think there's anything inflamitory about any of that, or could be considered trolling. If there is, let me know and I'll remove it.

Does that answer most your questions Juggle?

Postby Weasel » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:14 pm

As far as I knew, you had to have a key to enter a vaultroom from outside - which obviously presented a problem in that a pthief could hang out around the vaults and steal robes / keys as soon as a player came along wanting to enter their vaultroom , because to enter their vaultroom(s) they'd need to remove their robe to get their keys out, or even if they already had got their keys out while in a safe room the keys themselves could still be stolen, ie: there is no way to protect against being thieved from at this point.

It is interesting to see that the only instance of keyless entry to a vault that I'm aware of just happens to belong to a pthief:

[quote="12345" in response to Blackguard]A party? Let me see if I can remember how to get there...
North of BH, where you buy tickets. Go east. 'pray nidhogg' to get transferred inside!
That sounds about right?[/quote]

I'd love to have keyless entry to my mansion etc using some sort of password in the same way that we open our vaults, rather than risk being thieved from. I have asked for it ages ago but was advised a key is required. Considering a pthief has this convenience, I presume we can now have a coder change our vaults the same way if we so wish?
:shock:
Weasel

Postby Weasel » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:19 pm

An alternative is to make public rooms outside vaultrooms nosteal rooms - which is something I have suggested previously but never got a reply on.
Weasel

Postby *Splork* » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:23 pm

We have been through this before Weasel, many players have tt's as entrances.

Jees, I wonder why people dont want others to know they have tt's to enter their vaults? Pray Nidnog gives you a clue. And Im not revealing the people to simply put dumb ass thoughts to rest...

I wish people would stop making stupid assumptions about pthieves and Imms, we are getting rather tired of it.

Enjoy,
Splork
Last edited by *Splork* on Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
*Splork*
Site Admin

Postby 12345 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:24 pm

Well, you can protect yourself to some extent, though it's not convient. Mosaix laid it out best I think... Area blast the room. If anyone's there, I've yet to see a rule that says you can't web and recall a pthief. :)

to further prove my pt

Postby *Splork* » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:35 pm

Lets see, a help file for room bonuses that dates back half a year... Please read carefully weasel.. You may see something interesting

Further Room Bonuses:
=====================

1M Pet (ALL homes)
A pet in your house. can not have any stats.

1M Key (Sold to vault owner)
To give access to your home to a friend, a second character or to
replace a lost key.

3M Special triggers (ALL homes)
E.g. A quick method of house entry without opening the door.

5M Fishing Hole (ONLY for mansions, castles, palaces or grand palaces)
You will be able to take you fishing rod and safely fish for food

15M Bank (ONLY for mansions, castles, palaces or grand palaces)
Allows you to withdraw and deposit gold.

1M Additional Room (ONLY for castles, palaces or grand palaces)
These rooms will have no vault.

25M Innkeeper (ONLY for castles, palaces, or grand palaces)
Be able to rent within your home.

30M Avatar Shop (ONLY for grand palaces)

*** Press return ***
Shop to gain and spend your experience tokens as an avatar.
*Splork*
Site Admin

Postby Weasel » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:51 pm

[quote="*Splork*":j6dcpfi6]We have been through this before Weasel, many players have tt's as entrances.

Jees, I wonder why people dont want others to know they have tt's to enter their vaults? Pray Nidnog gives you a clue. And Im not revealing the people to simply put dumb ass thoughts to rest...

Stop making stupid assumptions about pthieves and Imms, im getting rather tired of it.

Enjoy,
Splork[/quote:j6dcpfi6]

Huh? You've never been 'through this' with me, and no, I certainly was NOT aware others have keyless entry to vaults. I knew you could have tt's to EXIT vaults (like enter fountain or just say recall while inside the vaultroom) which is something I asked about recently, but not tt's to get IN to a vault from the outside. Whatever, it doesn't matter. What matters is that I believed the 'rules' of vaultbuilding were one thing when in fact they were not.

Of course it would be silly to reveal other vaults that have this effect - for obvious reasons. I just wasn't aware there were others (for the same reason no doubt). Now I am aware.

I also wasn't making an assumption here - I have asked a long time ago (like several years) for just such an effect and was told no, I had to have a key to enter a vault. Perhaps rules have changed since then and that Blackguard vault is relatively new? Whatever the case, I was only going on the fact that I had been told in the past I could not have keyless entry. Now I'm aware that in fact we CAN have keyless entry if we so wish. Great! No problem. I really don't think this qualifies me as a dumbass.
Weasel

Next

Return to Mud Suggestions