Tri token reroll stats

Use this forum for general discussions

Re: Clear this up once and for all?

Postby kjartan » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 am

[quote="Daisy":21y3zaei]Is there any way of asking a Mud admin / developer to clear up once and for all time exactly what the formular is for stat rolling?[/quote:21y3zaei]
Sorry, that is the sort of internal info about the code that we don't tell you. Although frankly it seems from this thread that you all have a pretty good understanding of it, so I'm not sure that even if we did give you further info it would change anything.
kjartan
Creator

Re: Clear this up once and for all?

Postby 12345 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:13 am

[quote="Daisy":1c29vc61]Out of interest my alt as a W/M rolled:
18/89 18 11 16 14 Total 77[/quote:1c29vc61]

Honestly Daisy, short of a miracle roll, that's really nice. Shooting for a higher dex or con will likely cost your str and int. I'd collect a small mountain of tokens before I considered rerolling it. I haven't done it in a while, but lockers on Valk are cheap and can hold 10 tokens each. With a small army of Valkers you can collect mountains of tokens if you really want to reroll. For a non-dedicated player though, those are quite nice.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Part of the fun

Postby Avatar » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:29 am

That's part of the fun!

"I'm fairly confident I could roll better given time, but is it worth the effort it would take? Its supremely playable as it is esp as Dex is so easy to raise by +2."

That's the type of question that every player here has to answer on his/her own. You can't make a simple rule-based decision tree that tells based on classo and point total whether a character should reroll or not. For myself, even as a dedicated player, I've been content with much lower stats than some of our other long-term players. God-stats aren't as important to me as all that. I've gotten lucky with some of my characters but others have not been so lucky.
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Zorich » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:18 pm

Ahh, it's nice to see people are stat junkies now just like I was back in the day...

My SlothMUD III version of Zorich (pre-wipe) was my best incarnation of him. 18/87 Str, 17 Int, 18 Wis, 16 Dex, 16 Con. Was C/W/M/T.

Got that on my 2nd reroll and was left sitting with 38 to give away to the first people to guess my rediculous trivia questions :).
~~ Zorich {Aka Remus, Aka Zaras, Aka Shadows}
~~ 40M, 40C, 36W {SlothMUD I}
~~ 40C, 40W, 40M {SlothMUD II}
~~ 40C, 40W, 40M {SlothMUD III}
~~ Creator: Ethereal & Elemental Planes.
Zorich

heh

Postby Avatar » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:17 pm

Wow, a lifer.

So, when are you adding those elemental citadels :)

Nice to see you're still around...
Triple 40 Poster

Re: heh

Postby Zorich » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:02 pm

[quote="Avatar":fwm3dy75]Wow, a lifer.

So, when are you adding those elemental citadels :)
[/quote:fwm3dy75]

You know - that's a funny story. We actually had em pretty much done at one point. I was doing the Fire and Air, ElSol was doing Water, and Snakes was doing Earth. Between the Four of em, we had over 2500 rooms :).

I actually had the EQ requests in for my two areas as well as a lot of new-style content I wanted to add - but there were a few things holding me back from getting it completed in total.

1. Walkthroughs were nigh impossible to get done. I admit - I kinda resented that I needed more walkthroughs after having done the Ethereal Plane and the 4 Pocket Planes - but what could be done - it was the rules.

When I did get a walkthrough (The one for the Fire Citadel took over 2 months to get someone to look at) - it rarely got done. My frustration was that there were a set of rules for descriptions I followed and rather than judge the work per the rules and it's content, a certain person at the time kept trying to re-write it the way they wanted, and it got on my nerves and sapped my desire to work on it further.

2. I had graduated college and found that I didn't have much time left to play. Work wasn't nearly as flexible as classes, and I found my ability to get in touch with the people who would get the area approved more and more difficult.

3. There was a player wipe coming. This is a purely selfish reason - but I knew damn well I didn't have time to level up another Triple-40 character, and I hated the idea that I had earned dozens of quest-only items that I'd never see again. Unique things (at the time) like the Blue-Edged Dagger (3d4 +3, +2, Mana Drain Proc), Dreaming Sleeves (?AC, +10 Mana, +2 Mana Regen), White Marble Bracer, Mage's Pouches, Staff of Fire (2d6 +2 Hit, +1 Int, Fire Proc) and Mace of Flames (3d5 +2, +2, Fire Proc) as well as other rare quest items like Crystal Sleeves, Nekodes, Great Helm, Ring of Wizardry x2, Onyx Staff...

The only thing I could do in light of a wipe - and more specifically a wipe where I couldn't even get some kind of redemption token for all the rare stuff I'd earned - was walk away. If I put in those areas, I'd have been driven to level up and run them. I'd have been driven to start all over again, playing 40+ hours a week. I knew I'd wreck my schedule to make time for quests so I could build back up my item cache (I was far too competitive). I would be doing all this cause I'd want to see people running my area. Just like with the Ether, I'd want to lead a group into my own area and pwn it. I'd have wanted, as a player, to show people some of the secrets I had in there (there were over 700 rooms in the Fire Citadel alone) by overcoming the obstacles...

In any event, I'd have been compelled to stay around, and I couldn't do that to myself :(.

It's kind of the same reason I don't make a new character and play now. I just wouldn't have time, and my wife may damn near kill me :).
Zorich

Postby Clink » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:00 am

If you happen to have the area, mob and eq descs around on disk somewhere, we'd love to get them in game. Send them to us and depending on how far along they are, it's a possibility that someone can upload the areas for everyone to enjoy.

I always loved the planes.

Clink
Clink
Greater God

Postby 13 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:37 am

Hrm, Fredd was way ******* funny. I think you got time to play some sloth
Dann, you just don't know it yet :}
The perfect blend of poetry and meanness..
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Zorich » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:58 am

[quote="Clink":4nrn2i0b]If you happen to have the area, mob and eq descs around on disk somewhere, we'd love to get them in game. Send them to us and depending on how far along they are, it's a possibility that someone can upload the areas for everyone to enjoy.
[/quote:4nrn2i0b]

Actually, I may still have the areas for Fire and Air. I don't think I have the descs, but I do have the old maps for em, the mobs and the Eq I wanted to get in there. If I can dig it up, I'll let ya know.

My only request is if they go in, I get some honorable mention in the "Legends of SlothMUD" list ;).

Hehe.

[quote="Clink":4nrn2i0b]
I always loved the planes.
[/quote:4nrn2i0b]

You know, I was surprised at how well the planes were liked. I really tried to make something different. The area was practically unmappable cause it was just a 6x6x3 Cube with warping edges. Finding conduits was quite the challenge at first, let alone finding the way in through the Mage's tower.

I also really enjoyed the opening quest for the area, but in retrospect I think I made it a bit too daunting. Most area-opening quests were just hacking through the area with a few beefy mobs thrown in - I had the two parties strewn all over the MUD getting clues to get the key for the entrance, find where the entrance was, and then, of course, track down the elemental guardians when they were missing from their elemental plane. (Fire was in Hell, Earth was in SS, Air was in Castle Black and Water was in the Demon Web. Then, when all that was said and done, they had to go take a run at the Elementalist.

Good times...
~~ Zorich {Aka Remus, Aka Zaras, Aka Shadows}
~~ 40M, 40C, 36W {SlothMUD I}
~~ 40C, 40W, 40M {SlothMUD II}
~~ 40C, 40W, 40M {SlothMUD III}
~~ Creator: Ethereal & Elemental Planes.
Zorich

Postby Zorich » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:00 am

[quote="13":21al2a9m]Hrm, Fredd was way ******* funny. I think you got time to play some sloth Dann, you just don't know it yet :}[/quote:21al2a9m]

Yeah, Fredd was friggin hilarious at times. I actually haven't talked with him going on quite a few years now - which kinda sucks. He was a good guy - life just took us in different directions.

But no, I probably won't be playing. I actually tried to log in and found that Zorich already exists! WTF! That's messed up. :)
Zorich

Yep

Postby Avatar » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:33 pm

I always liked the planes too, and I kinda miss the mage tower. I used to love finding rooms where it was obvious a connection SHOULD be to more rooms, but was closed. It kind of fuels the imagination to think what could be there...what should be there. Some areas just seem so 'right' for Sloth, when they fit with the rest of the atmosphere. I think the planes always did that.

I also for some reason liked the areas that connected to multiple areas. The old sewers on BH, when you could get there from either the sewer entrance or the secret door in the thieve's guild. Then it connected to the cemetary, sahaguins, ocean, duergar, etc. I always enjoyed that, for some reason. I'd run to through the sewers to get to Lycanthropia, or the dwarves beyond there. I loved the old citadel, and the forges from metal ingots. We need another area added there, away from civilization :)

I'd love to see more areas link, where it makes sense. A cavern wilderness area that would connect moria to demonweb would be quite cool. UD also, perhaps, through secret doors and etc.

Ah well, good memories :)
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Zorich » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:36 pm

I hear ya man.

I always wanted to expand the Ether at some point and put in more conduits. I figured there were no-brainers where conduits could link to... Like somewhere deep inside Hell, and of course, somewhere just beyond the Guardian Angel.

If I had stuck around, my next project(s) after the Elemental Citadels was going to be The Underworld (Greek). If you couldn't tell, I was really into the whole Outer-Planes concepts for high-level characters.

I wanted to create 3 sections of it...
- The Valley of Lost Souls & River Styx
- The Gates of Forbiddance (Cerberus, etc...)
- The Palace of Hades.

Once inside the gates it was going to be all no-recall (such as Hades was inescapable) save a few places that could be discovered via clues and certain objects. As much as that enticed me, I really liked the idea of trying to incorporate Charon and the boat ride from the Abyss (DemonWeb) to Hell along the River Styx. I thought it would be great plot to link the lower planes together with a concept common to many mythologies.

And of course, you know if The Underworld was a hit, Olympus was next ;). Then maybe the Elysium Fields... Ahh, the thing I loved about that was that those area could be nearly limitless in content - and had great potential for Avatar+ level characters.

Heh, but it's been so long - for all I know those could already be in there :).
Zorich

Postby 12345 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:02 pm

The equation for this was bothering me... so I tried something different. Keep in mind I still think rerolls are using 4d6+1. :)

It basically comes down to the odds of 5x18 have to be (75/1296)^5. That's about 0.000065% or 1 in 1,540,702 rerolls.

To roll 4x18, you need 3x18 and have 2 chances to roll the last 18:
(75/1296)^3 x (2 x 75/1296) = 0.0022% or 1 in 44,581 rerolls.

3x18: (75/1296)^2 x (3 x 75/1296) = 0.058% or 1 in 1720 rerolls.

2x18 17: (75/1296)^2 x (3 x 169/1296) = 0.13% or 1 in 763 rerolls.

18 17 17: 75/1296 x 169/1296 x (3 x 169/1296) = 0.30% or 1 in 338 rerolls.

2x18: 75/1296 x (4 x 75/1296) = 1.34% or 1 in 75 rerolls.

18 17: 75/1296 x (4 x 169/1296) = 3.02% or 1 in 33 rerolls.

1x18: 5x 75/1296 = 28.94% or 2 in 7 rerolls.

This doesn't seem too far off to me.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Previous

Return to General Chat (Registered)