Clan Wars

Use this forum for general discussions

Postby kjartan » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:15 pm

I am adding some basic clan support to the mud. Basically the mud code will be aware of clans, meaning that (if you want) you can register a clan and then one person controls who is in and out. This will have two immediate benefits, which are both pretty minor:

1. each clan will have a clan symbol, like ~CHAOS~ or some other specific string. Only clan members will be able to have this symbol in their titles. It will check for interior whitespace and be case insensitive, but that's it, so ~CHAOS~ would block ~ Chaos ~ but not =CHAOS=. Probably min length = 5 and if you use a common word like "the" the gods will be Annoyed.

2. we will sell "clan doors" for residences that only allow clan members to pass (or possibly that only allow clan members to open them) for some as yet undetermined amount. Probably comparable to "a bunch o keys".

We may also eventually add some sort of clan support to the arena, so you can have clan-on-clan team fights in there. I am interested to hear ideas about this. I don't particularly want widespread PK, and I don't want clans to get gameplay benefits they aren't getting now because I don't want people to feel like they have to join clans.

At first, at least, only admin-type imms will be able to make new clans and the rule will be that we'll just sanctify existing clans. We will come up with some sort of policy at some point.

This stuff will probably go in at the reboot tonight.
kjartan
Creator

Postby 13 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:25 pm

So don't involve amber in it Brand, simple as that. I'm pretty sure it will be voluntary.
The perfect blend of poetry and meanness..
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby 12345 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:26 pm

Nice. Thanks. :)
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby 13 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:44 pm

Kjartan thanks man. This should add some very good shit, and even better possibilities in the future.
Last edited by 13 on Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Nothing » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:50 pm

I came from a mud where pk was optional. You had to have an imm enable to you be pk and you were only allowed one pk char per person. It worked out really nicely. The biggest problems arose from "destructive crossplay" as it was termed there. A person would get attacked and send a tell to his clan mates alt that was on and of course they could log out and come back in on their pk enabled char thus getting the attacked char some backup. But all in all it worked pretty well. The only thing I see here that might be difficult is that people here share chars which was not allowed on my old mud.

That being said, don't take this to mean I'm in favor of pk here, just tossing something into the mix.
Nothing

Postby iz » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:05 pm

Just thought I'd throw an idea out.

Why not set up an area specifically for pk (perhaps make a clan home for each clan, and make the area only accessible via a portal in each one). Instead of an actual death, if someone is 'killed' by an opposing clan member, they can be sent to some kind of 'cool-down' area for a few tics. I think you would see a lot of pvp action that way, and not have to worry about spending lots of time re-leveling or rekitting because of a pvp death. To spice things up, you could even make some type of temple inside full of nasty mobs for the clans to take...good for morale, and maybe even give a small regen bonus for having one (added incentive to take it).

Not quite the same feeling as actually killing someone, but you're more likely to see massive pvp battles that way (not to mention people trying different strategies with the same combos, which is always a good way to judge the balance between classes).

Iz
iz

Postby Alberich » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:11 pm

wow

kj, thanks, this is probably the coolest thing that's been put in for awhile, in my opinion.

PK is a whole 'nother thing - we already have et and arena if you need to settle difficulties, and a pk-continent (with level restrictions!) could have some very interesting possiblities - mud-wide pk? **** that.
Don't be stupid - we have politicians for that

Alberich

Postby Weasel » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:43 am

deleted - expressing an opinion a bad idea on this 'forum'.
Last edited by Weasel on Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Weasel

Postby 13 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:48 am

Hey check this out Weasel: Don't join. You have to have an imm flag you.
Who cares? Why ******* try and ruin it for those who enjoy it when it won't affect you?

Weasel drinks his hateraide.

Postby kjartan » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:56 am

Was "I don't particularly want widespread PK" not clear in some way, Weasel?

Anyhow, clans are in. There are a few minor bugs that are fixed as of the next crash or reboot, so no need to report them:
- the word "clan" appears in a whole lot of messages unnecessarily, like "you have joined clan the greedy clan!"
- the title symbol exclusion thing is flaky and usually doesn't work
- there are some capitalization issues on the clan boards

Ask an admin to create your clan if you like; from there the clan leader can add people, set the title symbol, and so forth.
kjartan
Creator

Postby Weasel » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:10 am

just forget it.

Kj, no personal criticism was intended, sorry if you took it that way. It seemed clear to me that considering introducing an entire pkill continent when the existing arenas are rarely used made little sense, but hey, wtf do I know? That was my concern, not clans themselves, which maybe people would've realized had they had actually read what I wrote rather than immediately going on the defensive after reading the first sentence...

Damn...
Weasel

clan area / pk area

Postby Avatar » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:45 am

I think Iz had some good ideas. I like the idea of portals in the clan vaults that only clan members could enter to get into the action. When you die, it could just send you back to your clan hall. I think there should be some penalty for dying, but if you charge xps it shouldn't be as high as a normal death. It's hard to say a certain figure would be ok, since anything a tard could easily afford might take weeks for smaller chars.

As cool-down time, it would probably be sufficient to set the revived char to 1 hp 1 ma 1 mv, just like the void fairy.
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Weasel » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:54 am

heh, well that would certainly make the less accessible areas more attractive if you got transported out of there and into a nice safe non-looting vault every time you died. I'm sure every player in the game would be joining a clan if that were the case, but heck, I think the death rate on sloth would climb exponentially when the fear of being looted or having problems doing a CR were removed. ..or are you talking only for a pkill area?
:D
Weasel

Postby 12345 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:03 am

Actually, those are some pretty decent ideas... The whole idea of clan wars would only be good for a week or so though. Kinda like the tournaments. They're hard to set up and after you've won or lost folks lose interest for a while.

I can actually probably tell you how it would go right now anyway. DoW is a biggish clan, so they'd do well for a while. At least until two of the larger clans got together and tried to drag them down. That would last about two seconds, because the Russians would declare an official clan and take on the rest of the mud... and win. Did I miss anything?
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

easier death

Postby Avatar » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:31 pm

I was thinking that trans back to the vault would only work in an "Arena" type zone. If you put mobs there and people kill the mobs, I'd set them permanently to 0 xps.

:)
Triple 40 Poster

Previous

Return to General Chat (Registered)