Sloth Broken!

Use this forum for general discussions

Postby Ditheca » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:21 am

I think some of madmax's questions were pretty insightful, and if kj and splork felt "challenged" by them, well you can remember the reason he asked them is to have them thought about and *gasp* possibly changed.

I know things can change for the better, because it happens sometimes. Some of my own brainchildren have even found their way into the mud.

To call a long-time player's pent-up frustrations and well-thought questions a "silly challenge" seems ruder than neccessary.

To focus in on the smallest part of his argument (sups aren't finished yet) and ignore his point "recent changes are poorly planned" seems like a sad waste of time on his part and the immorts.

I personally am interested in the answers to 3, 5, and 6. Then again, I've had my share of been mortally wounded, drowning, and thirsty at the bottom of a well too.

Hope you don't read too much into my cynicism, I think the immorts are working pretty hard with the unfortunately common flaw of humanity -- they mess up sometimes.

PS: Love the most dangerous mob boards!
Ditheca
40 Prime Poster

Postby Krok » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:32 am

Don't bother, guys, it's much easier to make some of us vote 10 times/day to bring more and more silly newbies than to answer silly questions about the changes! :)

I still think Madmax whines too much. Can search really make one feel that bad?
From Russia with love.
Krok
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Clink » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:34 am

[quote="madmax":3o9ev0in]
It has been said that "we are trying to make the game more realistic." Well, there are alot of things that shoule be looked at before adding new stuff.

1) How can you be thirsty underwater when you are breathing water?
2) How can a fireball or firewind actually work underwater?
3) Why can't _any_ character see what I am holding in the open?
(Glance should let you look _inside_ containers without being seen.)
4) How can I hold a light, a weapon, and someting low? I only have 2 hands with 1 finger on each hand.
5) Other than special mobs in Cemetary of Sheol, why dosen't healing tear apart undead and cause damage as it is listed within the help file?
6) Why was fargate removed? I have asked this before and never given an answer. Will it ever be put back in the game?
7) Why do _some_ avatar spellbooks pop what seems to be all the time but some low level spellbooks (i.e. bard) hardly pop?
[/quote:3o9ev0in]

A very similar list like this from a year or two ago used to have many other things on it, including:
8 ) How can you chop an arm off of a snake?
9) Why does a squirrel have gold coins?
10) Why can't I control any useful mobs?
11) Why do I have to use "ping" to find out when an area repops?

These have all been addressed with [i:3o9ev0in]additions[/i:3o9ev0in] to the game. Some are completely unique to Sloth as far as I know. None of them have made the game particularily more challenging, but more interesting. Of course, this is subject to your point of view, period in which you started playing the game and present emotional state.

We are currently going through the whole mud and adding more detailed sector information to support more diverse lairs. We also plan to leverage this information for some interesting variations on spells and skills. Perhaps we'll get around to addressing the first two points on your list through that effort. But, even though we might add some strengths to firewind in Hell, there will be people who will focus only on the fact that firewind won't work as well underwater. According to what I can ascribe is your definition of more complicated, this qualifies. We look at it as more interesting and more plausible (Madmax called it realistic, but this is fantasy). Would this make you happy or not? I'm not suggesting the answer will have direct corelation to its implementation, but certainly you can try to influence it with valid opinions.

As far as inventory is concerned, I always operated under the assumption that everything in your inventory was in some sort of sack. We can change a few lines of text to remedy this if it really bothers you. Either that or we can change a few lines of text to say that the person is juggling the items really really fast, but it doesn't seem as plausible.

As for your concerns about us getting these things perfect the first time: We just can't, as it is not humanly possible. When we added 4 new classes (yes, more challenging and complicated) we asked players to help test on a test mud so that it would go in right. There was less than enthusiastic cooperation (though I don't blame any players for this). The mud is a complicated environment and it is easy to miss reprecussions of small changes without interaction with a lot of players. How do you propose vetting out all of these reprecussions without putting them in game or having a heavily used test mud?

Either way, the mud will continue to change through our efforts to make it better. It is easy to blame missed expectations of a character's strengths on changes in the mud. I've done it myself. Please keep in mind when "planning your character" that if you are basing it on something that seems too good to be true, it probably is.

However, you should also keep in mind that more than likely, there will be new features available to your character at some point that you weren't planning on when you started it.

Peace,

Clink (ask a question and you'll never get a short answer out of me)
Clink
Greater God

Postby 12345 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:04 am

I'll answer the question about mages...

The telepathy spell was modified to indicate caches. I'm not much of a mage and haven't tested it yet, however the help file says it will show them now.

I was actually teasing the imms about changing telepathy so it would be useful now, and they informed me that they beat me to the punch.

Don't know what's in mind for necros, we'll have to see.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby kjartan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:25 am

Ok, here is a more detailed and less diplomatic response:

1. I and the other immortals are working on this game for free. It's odd that you, who have derived a year or so of enjoyment playing it for free, should come on here and demand that we work harder for free.

2. My comment about joining the imms and helping finish supps applies to contributing to any of the problems Madmax mentioned. If any of you guys want the mud improved then you should consider immorting to help out. We pay attention to what the immortals of all levels have to say about the changes (we even pay attention to the players, but we pay attention to the immortals more). We would like more immortals to comment. Also, note that bitching about stuff on the crier is less likely to help than asking nicely - we're only human, and we (or at least I) tend to disregard arguments of the form "You suck when will you undo your recent changes they gave me -1 I hate them!"

3. I don't know where you guys get the idea we are trying to make this game more realistic. I certainly never said that - I am trying to make it more immersive, and stupid stuff like squirrels with gold etc. makes it less immersive. As has been repeatedly pointed out, we've got magic! How realistic is it going to be? Much of the stuff Madmax listed seems like it's exactly the sort of thing he complains about elsewhere in his post - would you really like it if all your spells did totally different stuff underwater, as in D&D 1.0?

4. The way to make changes more solid before they go in, as Clink pointed out, is to run a testmud for a while with live players and see how it goes. That has the downside of splitting the playerbase. It also makes players spend a bunch of time advancing a character they don't get to keep, and it puts an administrative burden on the admin. This is a pain in the ass; we aren't going to do it for anything less major than the new classes. That means stuff will go in and sometimes cause a few crashes and sometimes eventually get nerfed a bit. If you can't handle nerfing, I'd suggest you try a single-player game that comes in a box, or something like counterstrike that has no persistent characters.

5. As was also pointed out, stop trying to blackmail us by witholding your vote. It wouldn't make any sense for us to work on a mud in ways that we don't enjoy for free because someone is threatening to do stuff that makes the mud less popular. In that case the logical thing to do would be to leave (and ideally shut the mud down). In fact, I think I am technically required to ignore these threats, because we aren't allowed, by the rules of the voting site, to do stuff for people so that they will vote.

6. If anybody is voting more than allowed by the voting site rules, for example ten times a day, please stop it.
kjartan
Creator

Postby 12345 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:19 am

[quote="*kjartan*":2btbf7bb]4. The way to make changes more solid before they go in, as Clink pointed out, is to run a testmud for a while with live players and see how it goes. That has the downside of splitting the playerbase. It also makes players spend a bunch of time advancing a character they don't get to keep, and it puts an administrative burden on the admin. This is a pain in the ass; we aren't going to do it for anything less major than the new classes. That means stuff will go in and sometimes cause a few crashes and sometimes eventually get nerfed a bit. If you can't handle nerfing, I'd suggest you try a single-player game that comes in a box, or something like counterstrike that has no persistent characters.[/quote:2btbf7bb]

Ok, this I can suggest a couple things to make the life for the players more livable in a 'beta' type environment.

There's differing opinions on reseting and keeping the mud up. My personal feeling is that stability is good. Crashes are discouraging. Lots of folks like resetting cash levels on shopkeepers. Others like having a bunch of spellbooks lying around.

Suggestion for improvement: Make crashes/resets more transparent.

Possible ways to do this:
1) Make shopkeeper inventory at least somewhat persistant.
2) Make unsold items poof after a while and give the cash back to the shopkeeper.
3) If you can figure out 2), you can make spellbooks persist across crashes and still have a need to pop them once in a while.
4) Have the junk command give coins. If the junk command gave 1/5th the value of an item, you would still be able to get the item out of circulation and it would still be preferable to sell the item at a shop.
5) I thought there was a feature to reset the mud without disconnecting players... is it ever used?
6) Having a way of clearing mob's pissed list without reseting (ie. waiting 6 hours) would be a definate plus.
7) I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton of stuff.

You could kinda do most this at once by creating a 6 and/or 12 hour update points that checked for this kind of stuff. The perm caches could help out tremendously with a lot of this too.

If you don't have time to code this kind of stuff, but think it might be useful, I can certainly lend a hand.

If crashes are more transparent, everyone will be happier. I think. Maybe. Where's Grog when I need him? *STOMP STOMP*

Postby kjartan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:18 am

[quote="12345":3skfb1j4]1) Make shopkeeper inventory at least somewhat persistant.[/quote:3skfb1j4]
This is a big one; maybe someday.
[quote:3skfb1j4]2) Make unsold items poof after a while and give the cash back to the shopkeeper.[/quote:3skfb1j4]
Yeah, sounds like a good plan, I'll do it. Maybe a fraction of the cash, anyhow. What's a good half-life, twelve hours?
[quote:3skfb1j4]4) Have the junk command give coins. If the junk command gave 1/5th the value of an item, you would still be able to get the item out of circulation and it would still be preferable to sell the item at a shop.[/quote:3skfb1j4]
Or we could make more janitor mobs that get rid of items that have been lying around too long.
[quote:3skfb1j4]5) I thought there was a feature to reset the mud without disconnecting players... is it ever used?[/quote:3skfb1j4]
It's in there... but I have never seen it work. It allegedly worked at one time, but that was while I was gone. A couple of times coders have made efforts at revamping it and given up.
[quote:3skfb1j4]
6) Having a way of clearing mob's pissed list without reseting (ie. waiting 6 hours) would be a definate plus.
[/quote:3skfb1j4]
That's relatively easy, I'll add it soon.
[quote:3skfb1j4]You could kinda do most this at once by creating a 6 and/or 12 hour update points that checked for this kind of stuff.[/quote:3skfb1j4]
Actually that's probably not a good approach - anything that writes to disk needs to happen every time there's a transaction, so that the state of the files on disk is always consistent with the state in-game. Otherwise you end up with cloning problems related to crashes.
[quote:3skfb1j4]If you don't have time to code this kind of stuff, but think it might be useful, I can certainly lend a hand.[/quote:3skfb1j4]
Thanks for the offer, but we aren't looking for more coders right now and I find that it's not a good idea to bring in external code.
kjartan
Creator

Postby 12345 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:51 am

[quote="*kjartan*":n05gr2np][quote="12345":n05gr2np]1) Make shopkeeper inventory at least somewhat persistant.[/quote:n05gr2np]
This is a big one; maybe someday.[/quote:n05gr2np]
I'll grant it seems big, but you may be able to MUDL it. For instance, say I'm the BH Auctioneer. If someone sells me a duplicate item, I check to see if I have one cached. If not, cache it. Every few ticks, check my cache and see if I have an item cached that's not in inventory. If I do, take the item out of cache and offer it for sale. Since caches can save, it persists. Might not work, but seems like something Akasha or one of the other MUDLers could manage.

[quote="*kjartan*":n05gr2np][quote:n05gr2np]2) Make unsold items poof after a while and give the cash back to the shopkeeper.[/quote:n05gr2np]
Yeah, sounds like a good plan, I'll do it. Maybe a fraction of the cash, anyhow. What's a good half-life, twelve hours?[/quote:n05gr2np]
This is actually what I was referring to with the 6-12 hour updates. Your points about saving every transaction are of course correct. If there was a 6 hour update that scanned the bottom half the shopkeeper's non-perm inventory and got rid of it (If you wanted to do it plausibly, he could offer a sale where mobs purchased items), Theoretically, items would be offered for sale between 6-12 hours and discarded if unsold.

[quote="*kjartan*":n05gr2np][quote:n05gr2np]4) Have the junk command give coins. If the junk command gave 1/5th the value of an item, you would still be able to get the item out of circulation and it would still be preferable to sell the item at a shop.[/quote:n05gr2np]
Or we could make more janitor mobs that get rid of items that have been lying around too long.[/quote:n05gr2np]
I supposed this would work as well, though I'm not sure if janitors actually eat items of just hold onto them until someone kills them. The idea was to keep the item list compact.

[quote="*kjartan*":n05gr2np][quote:n05gr2np]
[/quote:n05gr2np]
That's relatively easy, I'll add it soon.[/quote:n05gr2np]
Thanks. :)

Sloth: now with less broken!

Postby kjartan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:19 pm

Ok, I have done two of them, incor:

Shopkeepers will now occasionally convert items back to gold if their inventories get big enough, oldest items first. They will never convert anything newer than an hour.

Mobs will clear their pissed lists occasionally. This is done randomly, not at any fixed interval, but it should on average happen once per rl hour.
kjartan
Creator

Re: Sloth: now with less broken!

Postby Wintersdark » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:06 pm

[quote="*kjartan*":9ni31h6b]Ok, I have done two of them, incor:

Shopkeepers will now occasionally convert items back to gold if their inventories get big enough, oldest items first. They will never convert anything newer than an hour.[/quote:9ni31h6b] Thanks :) Will be nice to be able to sell things when the mud's been up for a few days!

[quote:9ni31h6b]Mobs will clear their pissed lists occasionally. This is done randomly, not at any fixed interval, but it should on average happen once per rl hour.[/quote:9ni31h6b]I'm really happy to see this too - I'll say on behalf of the hordes of newbies who attack, say, they Valkyrie mayor: Thanks!

Must be pretty ugly to piss off a mob you spend a lot of time around but can't kill, and then have him stay pissed at you for 3-4 RL days :)
Wintersdark

Postby 12345 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:55 am

Thanks Kj. :)

Postby 12345 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:34 pm

Not sure how it's working, but the rate seems a bit high. I've had fights that lasted less than a tick where the mob hates me 2-3 times. :)

Postby kjartan » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:32 pm

Ah, yes I put the check in the wrong place. It's fixed incor, it will be considerably slower. Thanks for pointing it out.
kjartan
Creator

Postby Ditheca » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:14 pm

[quote="*kjartan*":3f6ewmvr]

2. My comment about joining the imms and helping finish supps applies to contributing to any of the problems Madmax mentioned. If any of you guys want the mud improved then you should consider immorting to help out. [/quote:3f6ewmvr]

Ya'know, I usually make connections like that! My brain must have been off when I read your post (it happens around 2 AM most days). Thank's for a lengthly reply clink, and the most recent changes being being put in by kjartan.

Anyone know what happened to limbs being cut off snakes? I don't chop much
Ditheca
40 Prime Poster

Postby Medios » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:32 am

stone grinder in irapeute

grind stone
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 8: EXPR_LIST => BOOLEAN'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: IF => BOOLEAN'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: AND => BOOLEAN'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: EQUALS => BOOLEAN'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: SYSTEM_FUNCTION vnum => INTEGER'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: SYSTEM_FUNCTION obj_in_inventory => OBJECT'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: VARIABLE #0 = => CHARACTER'
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: Minstrel (CHARACTER)'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: LITERAL = 'lapus-lazuli''
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: lapus-lazuli (STRING)'
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: lapus lazuli (OBJECT)'
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: 69389 (INTEGER)'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: LITERAL = 69389'
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: 69389 (INTEGER)'
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: true (BOOLEAN)'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: EXPR_LIST => BOOLEAN'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: EXPR_LIST => BOOLEAN'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: OR => BOOLEAN'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: (null) => STRING'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: VARIABLE #4 = => STRING ARRAY'
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: stone (STRING ARRAY)'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: LITERAL = 1'
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: 1 (INTEGER)'
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: stone (STRING)'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: LITERAL = 'lapus''
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: lapus (STRING)'
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: false (BOOLEAN)'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: (null) => STRING'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: VARIABLE #4 = => STRING ARRAY'
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: stone (STRING ARRAY)'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: LITERAL = 1'
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: 1 (INTEGER)'
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: stone (STRING)'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 1: LITERAL = 'lazuli''
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: lazuli (STRING)'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 6: EXPR_LIST => STRING'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 5: SYSTEM_FUNCTION msg_character => STRING'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 5: VARIABLE #0 = => CHARACTER'
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: Minstrel (CHARACTER)'
a stone grinder intones 'MUDL: line 5: LITERAL = 'You do not seem to have anything to grind...''
a stone grinder intones 'RSLT: You do not seem to have anything to grind... (STRING)'
You do not seem to have anything to grind...
a stone grinder intones 'I have allocated 0 items that I didn't free.'
a stone grinder intones 'One is cmd line.'
a stone grinder intones 'One is parse cmd line.'
a stone grinder intones 'One is string literal.'
a stone grinder intones 'One is mfn_split (2).'