Sloth Broken!

Use this forum for general discussions

Sloth Broken!

Postby 13 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:17 am

Why so many crashes and funky lag lately ?
The perfect blend of poetry and meanness..
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Weasel » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:55 am

bah.. same shit, different day... crash # 4 in the last half hour..
Weasel

Postby Clink » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:28 pm

New features, new fun for you to enjoy soon. Crashes have been fixed by your favorite coder. (Not me, of course, but you guys know who make stuff happen these days.)

Clink
Clink
Greater God

Postby Weasel » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:33 pm

nods good point - lairs and search etc etc - nice additions :)
Weasel

Postby Blastem » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:50 pm

for those who can find em.
Blastem
40 Prime Poster

Postby kjartan » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:07 am

I thought of a good way for necros to find them, I'll put it in sometime soon. That gives 5 classes a way which means everbody.
kjartan
Creator

Postby madmax » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:56 pm

[quote="*kjartan*":1og0vw8j]I thought of a good way for necros to find them, I'll put it in sometime soon. That gives 5 classes a way which means everbody.[/quote:1og0vw8j]

SEARCH
See also: THIEF, SNEAK, BACKSTAB, GLANCE, TAIL, STEAL, CLIMB
Level: Thief 1, Bard 7, Druid 22
Manual: ??

This command initiates a search for hidden caches of treasure. Your
ability to find a given cache depends on how well hidden it is and
your thief level. If you find a cache, you can get and put objects
from it / into it. Thieves are generally best at this skill, but
druids are very good searchers in natural environments.

How do you figure 5 classes? I would assume perception would _should_ work for mages but at 50 mana per cast, very expensive and unuseful.

Madmax
madmax
Double 40 Poster

Postby kjartan » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:35 pm

There is a way for mages to do it and there will soon be a way for necromancers to do it. These are two different techniques, and neither one of them is search.
kjartan
Creator

Postby madmax » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:29 pm

[quote="*kjartan*":unu2xdg4]There is a way for mages to do it and there will soon be a way for necromancers to do it. These are two different techniques, and neither one of them is search.[/quote:unu2xdg4]

How much more vague can you be? There is NOTHING listed in help files, ther is not a new spell or skill for mages that I can see as of 8PM CT.

practice unlearned

Magic-User Spells:

Cleric Spells:

Warrior Skills:

Necromancer Spells:

Good Luck!

I don't mean to bitch but I am getting the additude of what seems to be alot of the players these days. XP runs are being nerfed, supplicants have yet again been nerfed. Unless I am mistaken, the supplicants _STILL_ are not yet finsished from thier original implimentation. If this was the original plan, then why not make it that way six months ago?

Yes the new ideas are good for the game, but _PLEASE_ finish them and _THEN_ put it in game. Don't put part of the feature / spell / skill in then constantly nerf it because it was too powerful in someone's opinion.

Some characters have a hard enough time playing the game as it is. Personally, when I started madmax, I knew that at 4x40 I would get 4 liches and wraithform. Add my 3 attacks and with animates, I would have 19 total attacks per round, 16 of which were mostly massacres. Since the changes to animate / supplication, I cant kill anything for decent xp solo.

Personally, all of these "poorly planned" additions are really making me lose interest in playing the game. From a casual player, it seems that the changes are being made to make our lives harder.

It has been said that "we are trying to make the game more realistic." Well, there are alot of things that shoule be looked at before adding new stuff.

1) How can you be thirsty underwater when you are breathing water?
2) How can a fireball or firewind actually work underwater?
3) Why can't _any_ character see what I am holding in the open?
(Glance should let you look _inside_ containers without being seen.)
4) How can I hold a light, a weapon, and someting low? I only have 2 hands with 1 finger on each hand.
5) Other than special mobs in Cemetary of Sheol, why dosen't healing tear apart undead and cause damage as it is listed within the help file?
6) Why was fargate removed? I have asked this before and never given an answer. Will it ever be put back in the game?
7) Why do _some_ avatar spellbooks pop what seems to be all the time but some low level spellbooks (i.e. bard) hardly pop?

I challenge the upper level imms to answer these questions publicly.

To Jake, I agree the voting is a good idea but I'm sorry, I cannot and will not vote as long as changes continue to be made that are poorly thoughtout and implemented.

_THIS IS A GAME. IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE FUN. CURRENTLY IT IS TOO MUCH WORK!_

MADmax
madmax
Double 40 Poster

Lairs

Postby brand » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:45 pm

I know they are new and all but has anyone tested if putting things in these lairs is vaultish in nature...

I guess what I mean is will items in them survive a crash?

brand :twisted:
brand
Triple 40 Poster

Postby kjartan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:31 am

Madmax: if you would like to immort and help finish the supplication mobs or anything else, your application is welcome.

Brand: some will, some won't. Default is no, they won't. If it says a lair looks secure when you look at it, then it will. There aren't any like that yet, though. I'm not really sure what one would do with such a thing, but it seemed like it might be fun.
kjartan
Creator

Postby *Splork* » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:37 am

I guess I am an upper level Imm but I will pass on any silly challenge that I could give two shits about.

Madmax, there are 1185 muds currently listed on TMC, If you are so sick and tired of us then I'm sure you can find one you enjoy there...even if it is shortlived.

Happy hunting,
Splork

PS,
The help file has been in for the mage spell change but as usual your lazy ass is waiting for Strider or Blackmore to find the answer for you.
:twisted:
*Splork*
Site Admin

Postby Taki » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:46 am

Don't want to pour gasoline on the fire, but I have only a humble question regarding recent changes and possible implications.

Lately I and some other players have been cycling the climber in BH for climb sb. He popped a lot of empty knapsacks but no sb. Is that just a series of unlucky pops or the sb is lost in cyberjunk?

Thanks for any no-nonsense reply :)
Patience and powerful strikes!
Taki
40 Prime Poster

Postby Wrath » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:16 am

Serious comment to Madmax and a few others who seem pretty unhappy. As you say, this is a game. Not voting for Sloth is silly, it's a kind of silly blackmail whihc in the end doesn't work and just hurts the game you seem so passionate about.

I have really bounced this whole thing about change around in my mind a lot lately. i was seriously addicted to Sloth at one time (it actually started to affect my marriage and my work). The truth is that for many of us Sloth was/is an escape from reality. the game is addiactive, and much of the pleasure comes from being the familiarity. As such i have often been upset by changes etc. I personally believe that at it's core the game is not as enjoyable as it used to be, and all the complexity has actually turned the game into exactly what I never (and I know a lot of the admin used to state they never) wanted it to be.

I have played quite a few MUDs and the beuaty of Sloth has always been its simplicity. Sloth is a delicately balanced game, deceptively simple, yet actually highly complex. I personally feel it has been turned into just another overcomplicated MUD, and ultimately I do believe that will be its demise.

In the meanwhile, however, some advise i was once given about churches: "You don't change the food in a restaurant unless you become the chef". Just as the pastor of a church sets the vision for a church, so the creators on Sloth set the agenda. Don't be fooled into thinking anyone on the immort list has any influence under creator level, ultimately they don't. The vision is set by whichever creators are able to be the most active.

Jake has clearly decided to take a back set, Blaster is now in the army, that pretty much leaves Splork and Kjartan. Becoming an immort allows you to work on things, but realstically almost noone has any chance of working their way up to Creator, and if you did it would take 10 years. That is why we see so many immorts (Toxis, Wasp, Alana to name a few), get to a certain level and ultimately go inactive.

if you still enjoy the game play, but I have personally pretty much given up playing, I don't overall like the direction the MUD has taken, and i will probably never be an addictive player again. If you are seriously unhappy, give it up, take a break try another MUD. The direction of the MUD has been set. Voice constructive criticism and my experience it is heard suprisingly often, but you will not change the vision.

Threaten not to vote and while Kjartan will be diplomatic and Splork will be his usual "screw-you" self (I must say he was pretty controlled here), actually it makes no difference. No-one wants you to leave, but don't get to 50 years of age, and look back and realize you wasted years on Sloth you could have spent doing something rea. This is a game, get your perspective. If the game closed tomorrow and that where to devastate you, get a reality check and sort out your priorities.
Wrath

Secure Cache

Postby Avatar » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:20 am

I can think of two uses right quick:

Guild caches - IE warrior/thief/druid etc. It'd be cool to have some sort of cache where players can stick "donation" eq for other people. There are times I may have some item valued 500k to 1 mil, I'd rather not drop it somewhere where it's lost in a crash but if someone else could use it I'd be happy to donate. It'd kind of be cool if only prime characters could look in their cache, warrior prime to use the cache in the warrior guild, but that's not important.

Temp caches - It really stinks when temp eq poofs on a crash. I can't think of anyone these days who even uses temp eq besides choppers. It's really quite too much hassle, especially with the pop rates on temp eq. Temp eq should pop 1 in 3, or 1 in 2 maybe. Anyway, perhaps a few caches on Lyme could help improve the usefulness of temp eq?

Charles
Triple 40 Poster

Next

Return to General Chat (Registered)