Deathgrip issues

Use this forum for general discussions

Deathgrip issues

Postby Maive » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:26 pm

You can't recite recall or flee for four rounds while deathgrip.
You can recite recall or flee right after backstab.

Deathgrip makes you lag for a round until second maintain.
Backstab does not have such a big lag.

There are now mobs, which you can't deathgrip.
There are mobs, which you can't backstab.

Deathgrip does less damage than backstab.

Deathgrip seems to miss more compared to backstab.
There are more chances that at least one the backstabs hit the target.

Did I miss anything?

Does it sound like deathgrip is less damage, more lag and trouble using?

Besides an ability to wraithtouch, whats good left in a deathgrip itself?

Is that the only advantage over backstab to hit some mobs, which backstab can't hit?

Does deathtouch make it?
Maive

Postby 12345 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:02 am

I think you left out the -2 hit a mob gets while gripped, which makes it nice to use in some groups. It also webs while gripped, which is another very nice feature. Typically I use grip in groups and stab while soloing.

Also, you can recall after gripping, but you have to 'ungrip' first. New command Kj added recently.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby kjartan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:01 am

I think the command was 'release'.
kjartan
Creator

Postby 13 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:36 am

Maive is right, I think, about the lag and no recall thing. You simply don't have time to release and then recall. If it's a mob you would possibly need to release it has already eaten your lunch. I will say one thing though; Grip != Backstab. As far as I know it's supposed to be that way, otherwise why not just play a stabber anyway? I have been bringing these same arguments to Splork since I started playing again, and he has patiently explained to me that they are different skills that will stay that way, and to seek balance elsewhere, such as free strikes that do almost as much as a wind. I personally would like to see you be able to recall out of a grapple, but the rest doesn't bother me really, you see, I know a monk prime with deathtouch will be *the* one in the Arena, and a thief really isn't even going to have a chance...so buck up Maive :)
The perfect blend of poetry and meanness..
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Dandelo » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:17 am

I've noticed the same and have adjusted my playing style accordingly. Strike is a powerful skill and would not like to see it messed with again. Also, you CAN cast while gripping, so you can always cast 'word' to get out if you don't lose conc. I supposed that will be nerfed now too. ;)
Dandelo

Postby Wintersdark » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:51 pm

Grip's a very, very good skill - better, for it's differences, as having it AND backstab is in no way a waste.

Basically, don't grip mobs you're not sure you can kill, if the recall thing is a major issue even with release.

As has been said, grip is better in some situations, worse in others... Grip's a fantastic skill in groups or when the mob isn't going to be able to hit while gripped - that -2 to hit can be huge.

Remember, you can strike while gripped, so you may want to consider total grip damage to be from the grip itself AND the strikes you can do - which can get to be around 100 pts of damage each - with no save for half.

With Saphyrra, I loved having both - can use one or the other against almost every mob in the game, and both had their uses.

Overall, I find stab is more a splorking skill, grip is a better leading skill vs. chop mobs because you can do a tremendous amount of damage in a short time (4 rounds, isn't it?) with the mob being unable to hit back.

Different skills, different uses.
Wintersdark

Postby 12345 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:55 pm

You can do more damage than just grip/striking as well. You can counterattack while focusing and it will work while gripping, for even more damage.

Focus + grip + strike + counter = Lots 'o damage.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby 13 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:10 pm

kensai touch wind dead gimme the held low thing plz
The perfect blend of poetry and meanness..
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Return to General Chat (Registered)