Curse Spell

Questions and info for and by newbies.

Curse Spell

Postby El_Furax » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:38 am

Eh eh yet another newbie Question by El_Furax 8)

I've recently added curse to my spell arsenal. At first I didn't even try to get details about it and throwed it at the beginning of all fight. But I've been confused by the game feedback about that spell.

Two things especially :

In the perception of magic, red is the color of evil. Cast on a creature
or an object, the spell will encase them in a crimson aura for as long as
the hex holds. It will also mark them with a nauseating scent, as of a
very old egg on a very hot day. So distracting a scent it is, and so
gruesome, [i:3exx2gdm]that even the most skilled fighters will find it difficult to
concentrate on hitting the target and may miss more than usual.[/i:3exx2gdm]
Note: Objects of mayhem and bloodshed are subject to severe blunting
until the hex has been lifted from them by a cleric.

=> The spells desc is a bit ambiguous. It looks like a cursed mob will be more difficult to hit !

And I must say the display during fight tends to confirm this hypothesis :

(not in game, not the exact quote) 'Phew... xxxx should really take a bath' each round make you feel like the stench of the mob prevents you from concentrating on the fight.

Thus what the real effect of curse ? I'd expect it to impede target's ability to hit. If this is the case, maybe the in-game desc should be edited a little (like 'xxxx looks greenish and sick and aims less accuretaly, it must be its stench').
If it's not the case, then are we supposed to cast curse on ourselves ?

Or are my far-from-perfect english skills at fault because I didn't understand the descs :cry:

Thanks for putting up with my silly questions.
El_Furax

Postby Calim » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:39 am

Nope, your english is fine. The description is somewhat vague. The person who the curse spell is cast on, usually the mob, is the one who will have difficulty hitting their target.

Short Version: -1 to Hit to the target if they fail the save roll.
I hate signatures!
Calim

Postby El_Furax » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:54 am

[quote="Calim":orbdah6l]Short Version: -1 to Hit to the target if they fail the save roll.[/quote:orbdah6l]

Thanks... Removing the roleplay dimension can help... sometimes :)

Side note : hmm -1 tohit, period ? I'm slightly disappointed, I'd have expected a scaling malus. Anyway, still worth casting it, and the duration is comfortable.
El_Furax

Postby Ender » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:15 am

I'll add a newbie question to this, since I haven't figured out what it means yet. What is 'Your curse goes awry'?

Usually after I get the message, I can cast curse again and it works... but I'm not sure what this message indicates.

Thanks.
Ender
40 Prime Poster

Postby El_Furax » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:35 am

Hi Ender,
Well I dunno if you mean your english isn't your mothertongue (like me) and that you don't understand the [i:zo5cpo3l]english[/i:zo5cpo3l] word or if it is the game impact which is unclear to you, thus please take no offense of the following freedictionnary.com extract :

[quote:zo5cpo3l]
2. awry - not functioning properly; "something is amiss"; "has gone completely haywire"; "something is wrong with the engine"
amiss, haywire, wrong
malfunctioning, nonfunctional - not performing or able to perform its regular function; "a malfunctioning valve"
Adv. 1. awry - away from the correct or expected course; "something has gone awry in our plans"; "something went badly amiss in the preparations"
amiss
[/quote:zo5cpo3l]

==> Looks like it just means it failed.

Ps : I always play MUD with an online dictionnary, and found it an awesome way to improve my english. It gives me that little bit of 'MUD isn't a [i:zo5cpo3l]100%[/i:zo5cpo3l] waste of time' which allows me to play without to much guilt. 8)
(but it's still a [i:zo5cpo3l]90%[/i:zo5cpo3l]-odd waste of my IRL time :twisted: )
El_Furax

Postby impz » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:01 am

awry simply means the mob makes his saving throw against the curse spell. Hence, you need to cast again in order for him to be properly cursed.

Hope that answers your question
what is life if full of care, if we have no time to stop and stare?
impz
40 Prime Poster

Postby Ender » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:36 am

Aye. I was thinking that it just said 'Ok.' in that case, like the blind spell does, but come to think of it, I don't miss that many curses.

Brain freeze, sorry.
Ender
40 Prime Poster

Postby Altair » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:54 am

There is a sliding scale for damnation - sort of.

Except for Strength, Create Fodd/Water/Feast and Enchant Weapon, every other spell that has a sliding scale is a family of spells.

For example, damnation is a bigger curse. Uhm, nastier curse :)
Altair

Postby .kitn » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:40 am

[quote="Altair":1b3tokj9]There is a sliding scale for damnation - sort of.

Except for Strength, Create Fodd/Water/Feast and Enchant Weapon, every other spell that has a sliding scale is a family of spells.

For example, damnation is a bigger curse. Uhm, nastier curse :)[/quote:1b3tokj9]

As for strength, there is vigor :)
Also, strength itself has a sliding scale, dependant on levels
.kitn

Postby Altair » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:57 am

[quote:191jn5ik]As for strength, there is vigor
Also, strength itself has a sliding scale, dependant on levels[/quote:191jn5ik]

Right,
strength gets from +1 to +4 with levels.
Food created through feast or create food is more filling (you need two pieces to get full, at low levels, but only one at high levels).
Create water creates more water with levels.
And enchant gives +1/+1 for a newbieish mage, but +2/+2 if they're bigger (clerics always get the +2).

Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Altair

Return to Newbie Questions