class order help

Questions and info for and by newbies.

class order help

Postby altoid » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:23 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to start playing again after an absence. I'm trying to decide what sort of character to try. I'll be playing solo most the time so I've been looking at combinations that would hopefully be fairly strong for that.

Tankish: Wa/Mo/Cl/Ne
Necro based (are there significant strength/weaknesses for):
Ne/Dr
Ne/Mo or Mo/Ne

I was thinking Cl/Ba or Ba/Cl for 3rd/4th is there any substantial difference in the ordering here?

Am I missing something critical that will make life difficult?

Thanks for any help or advice.
altoid

Postby Messiaen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:01 am

ne/mo is a good choice, though, I'd make ne/ma/cl/mo instead, cause ne/mo will suffer some mr and mana penalties.
Messiaen
40 Prime Poster

Postby tincts » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:13 am

Correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm sure you will) but I think Mo 2nd is pretty much the same as Mo 4th. Ne first, you probably want another caster second, as Messiaen is saying.
The man was either mad or both.
tincts
Double 40 Poster

Postby Giselle » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:19 am

The positioning of cleric in your classo will affect the range of supplicants at your disposal. Have a look at the helpfile for the full list and the level restricts on each.

Ne/Dr = Great mregen and fluidity spell but note you can't order your undeads while shifted.

Mo/Ne vs Ne/Mo - Having a non-caster class as second will hurt your mregen but it works for some people. That said, as a necro you consume a chunk of mana to summon and prep your pets. Regen gets tedious ;)
Also, the order lag will be shorter for a Necro prime.

I haven't played a tank in ages but that classo is pretty popular for tanks because of wraithform and spectral shield. Having pets will boost your solo capability.
Giselle

Postby Messiaen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:31 am

[quote="tincts":3rrayu4x]Correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm sure you will) but I think Mo 2nd is pretty much the same as Mo 4th. Ne first, you probably want another caster second, as Messiaen is saying.[/quote:3rrayu4x]

Well, monk secondary has more base damage reduction and more hp ofcourse, but imho it doesn't make it worth placing monk secondary
Messiaen
40 Prime Poster

Postby Messiaen » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:34 am

By the way, I think that any classo with no mage in it cannot be a good soloer. Try to evaluate the damage dealt by pets/melee/blast and you'll see why I say that *wink*.
Messiaen
40 Prime Poster

Postby Medios » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:56 pm

[quote="Messiaen":z7iuz04z]By the way, I think that any classo with no mage in it cannot be a good soloer. Try to evaluate the damage dealt by pets/melee/blast and you'll see why I say that *wink*.[/quote:z7iuz04z]

Ridiculous
Minstrel has 0 mage.

Mike
Fight the Good Fight!

~[DoW]~
Medios

Postby Alberich » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:05 pm

yeah mike but we all know Mins is the weak

:roll:
Don't be stupid - we have politicians for that

Alberich

Postby alias » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:07 pm

It all boils down to how you like to play. If you like to blast have mage somewhere, if you like to stab make sure you have thief somewhere, If you are a good player it won't matter what classo you pick you will make it work.

Alias
alias
Triple 40 Poster

Postby 13 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:08 pm

[quote:1o8q5dxq]By the way, I think that any classo with no mage in it cannot be a good soloer.[/quote:1o8q5dxq]

Now here is another quote I'm fond of.

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Mark Twain
The perfect blend of poetry and meanness..
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Autolycos » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:00 pm

[quote="alias":2kk6355a]It all boils down to how you like to play. If you are a good player it won't matter what classo you pick you will make it work. Alias[/quote:2kk6355a]

aye, indeed.

class means nothing.. a good player is a good player. (period)

A unexperienced player however is common.

If you look over the majority of posts like this in the last 10+ years. Many of the "great" players have offered advice but never press the issue. The good players try to help and even offer suggestions on known char designs. The bad or unseasoned players are the first to jump and say "you're wrong" or "you HAVE to do it like this" .

As Acme, Atwell, Minstrel, Alias, Mandos and many others can offer you the same advice.
Play "how" you want to. Play the "char" you want to.
Classo is not near as important as knowing how to use it.
Autolycos
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Re-butt-al

Postby Hades » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:49 pm

First off, your'e wrong and you have to do it like this.

Don't pick a classo that sucks. If you can do that, then you,too, CAN succeed.

:roll:
Burn baby burn !!!
Hades
Double 40 Poster

thanks

Postby altoid » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:12 pm

Thanks for the advice all.

I decided to go for a tank character since that is what I'm most familiar with. If that goes well maybe I'll try a more charm based or blaster based char later. I'd agree that a great player would be good with any character. I'd settle for being a good player, but the challenge is starting somewhere and finding the opportunities to learn.
altoid

There are last words about.

Postby Hades » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:33 pm

Welcome. Glad I could help.
Burn baby burn !!!
Hades
Double 40 Poster

Postby Gimlet » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:05 am

[quote="Messiaen":afknm7ri]By the way, I think that any classo with no mage in it cannot be a good soloer. Try to evaluate the damage dealt by pets/melee/blast and you'll see why I say that *wink*.[/quote:afknm7ri]

any classo can be a great soloer like messiaen.

all u have to do is die at the mob every run, and get people to raise u 10 times every other minute, keep going back to the mob and repeat process, then gossip u soloed the 25mil xp mob in 20minutes
Gimlet
Double 40 Poster

Next

Return to Newbie Questions