Druid Animal Forms

Information about the druid class

Druid Animal Forms

Postby SirRobin » Sun May 15, 2005 10:44 pm

The highest level I’ve reached so far with Druid is level 14, and with a Monk character I’ve reached level 12. The monk seems equal to or stronger than the druid at these two levels, but often in games of this nature the magic characters are much stronger when they hit the higher levels.

1) When does a druid achieve parity with a fighter type character?

2) When are the animal forms significantly better for combat than a moderately well equipped druid in human form? Dog seems a bit weaker, frog maybe a little better. Drake looks impressive with three physical attacks plus fire breath, but the physical attacks are on the weak side and fire breath uses up a lot of mana. The most impressive thing about the Drake is that it seems to be hard to hit. He is fun to play when you have a lot of mana.

3) Do the animal forms’ abilities increase with levels? In other words, do things like the “to hit” values increase? I know the stats like strength and dexterity do not. If they forms don’t improve with levels there is a big gap between level 12 and 16, where the only fighting form you have is the Drake, at least that is what I gather by reading the help file.

4) Does anyone use the Tree form? If you stand there as a tree, do the mobs eventually leave the scene?

5) Does anyone find the early forms useful in some way? I tried using the ferret to pick the cage door locks in the Newbatia Downside, but he did not have enough skill. Cat might be useful for exploring I suppose.

6) Do all the forms use the same amount of mana or do the earlier forms use less? The few times I’ve looked at this it was not obvious to me.

Thanks.
SirRobin
40 Prime Poster

shape help

Postby Avatar » Sun May 15, 2005 11:34 pm

[quote:2c3nlk4p]1) When does a druid achieve parity with a fighter type character? [/quote:2c3nlk4p]

That's a hard one to answer, as they have different strengths. They don't really equate well.

[quote:2c3nlk4p]2) When are the animal forms significantly better for combat than a moderately well equipped druid in human form? Dog seems a bit weaker, frog maybe a little better. [/quote:2c3nlk4p]

This one, I'd guess in the 20's most characters would be more effective using shift to solo. Some characters (especially with warrior or monk in classo) might take longer for shift to eclipse their human form.

[quote:2c3nlk4p]3) Do the animal forms’ abilities increase with levels? In other words, do things like the “to hit” values increase? [/quote:2c3nlk4p]

Stats, AC, and HP go up only as you get higher level forms. The lower level forms are rarely worth using to fight with once you have a form of higher level.

[quote:2c3nlk4p]4) Does anyone use the Tree form? If you stand there as a tree, do the mobs eventually leave the scene? [/quote:2c3nlk4p]

I've never found a use for tree.

[quote:2c3nlk4p]5) Does anyone find the early forms useful in some way? [/quote:2c3nlk4p]

Some of the lower level forms are occasionally useful for a specific task. Some web, blind, poison, sniff, farlook, scout, etc.

[quote:2c3nlk4p]6) Do all the forms use the same amount of mana or do the earlier forms use less?[/quote:2c3nlk4p]

Correct, the earlier forms use less.
Triple 40 Poster

Postby 12345 » Mon May 16, 2005 7:36 am

Druids are kinda wild overall. At lower levels they're kinda crunchy, though this has been changed some. As a tank, having a druid follower was beyond cool. I was able to absorb the hits and the druid could use his multiple attacks to chop down mobs quick, fast and in a hurry. Also, once you get the bite skill, it just gets better. Against a thick mob with close to full hps, bite (poison) is possibly the best attack in the game.

Now, the situation is completely reversed. The druid can power through mobs that are simply beyond me.... and some Avatars. It takes a ton of mana and a lot of prep work (spells, summons, animates), but the results are solid.

For now, I'd recommend flying wingman, though I hear drake has some decent solo ability now. I don't think you'll be too upset at higher levels though if you have lots of mana classes in your classo to keep your mana totals high.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby 13 » Mon May 16, 2005 7:41 am

Druid with followers at level 40 are 100% overpowered whether Ne/Dr or Dr/Ne.
The perfect blend of poetry and meanness..
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby nexus » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:01 am

Druids are hard to play at the beginning, especially when 4x caster classes are involved...
Though it eventually grows into a "weapon" hardly comparable with any warriors. Starting with wyvern form gained at level 36 i was able to solo pretty nice exp. :)
I'm pretty sure dragon form at 3x40 will make the world turn upside-down.

Adding necro aspect to druid classo makes it overpowered in overall.
despite long preparation time, the killing runs are really delicious.
The road to success is hard
and only the best survive...
nexus

Return to Druid