Mudlet map

Mudlet map

Postby Bandit » Fri May 08, 2020 8:57 pm

Map scripts: https://app.box.com/s/il2lpk701m2u2qwykgox6lxigkr4t4me
Map data: https://app.box.com/s/0mica9lo2dur7pnbvdeydp2zkuc3jew1

Grab both of those. Install the scripts in the mudlet package manager and move the sloth-map.dat file to the mudlet/profiles/Sloth Mud folder (or whatever your profile is in Sloth). You'll probably have to open up Mudlet settings and go to the Mapper tab and load the map file in there. If it all works you'll be able to open a map window and start seeing the map and your location.

Not everything is mapped, but probably 87.5% (basing this on my explored value) is mapped. If you'd like to help me map out some missing areas the best way would be to group with me and clear out anything big that would stop me from getting the map. I'd like to keep the map creation script to myself so we don't have a bunch of diverging maps since there isn't a good way to merge them together.

You'll also need to make sure MSDP variables are being reported, this post has a script that is useful for that: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4424

Also if you have the generic_mapper installed you should disable / remove it, as it can cause issues.
Last edited by Bandit on Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bandit

Re: Mudlet map

Postby cnl » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:04 am

Thanks for posting this -

I tried to get your script working but I seem to be missing some pieces.
Does this depend on the generic_mapper being installed?
cnl
40 Prime Poster

Postby cnl » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:13 am

I'm probably recreating the wheel here but I've mostly got a working instance of the mapper going -
https://imgur.com/a/tBuJ8st - I'm assuming there's always no way around manually correcting the rooms that don't line up.
cnl
40 Prime Poster

Postby cnl » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Your map data is super cool.

It looks like you also saved it with Id == room vnum so it loads perfectly with what I have.
cnl
40 Prime Poster

Postby cnl » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:53 am

I've been playing around with the msdp.COORD* variables and the map.

See https://imgur.com/a/T5uMpkY

The rooms with a "glow" are ones being currently included in the COORD returns.
X means they reported Mob==1. It looks like this is a yes / no type result?
cnl
40 Prime Poster

Postby Bandit » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:22 pm

The map tends to use data like msdp.CHARACTER_LOCATION.ROOM.VNUM to know where you are. It watches mspd.CHARACTER_LOCATION for changes and updates. I don't think I use the COORDS variables at all, those always seemed a bit weird.

The mud doesn't always have rooms that line up nicely. What I did is used ne/nw for up rooms, sw/se for down rooms, and then n/e/s/w for those directions. I tried to make the maps somewhat represent how they've been created on the website with all the map images. There's a few early maps I mad that use the z axis, but those are pretty rare and just there to avoid lots of rooms from overlapping. Outside of that there are some zones that really line up poorly, like energy plane, the rooms have some crazy exits that aren't a grid.

I play Shatterhand and Bandit in the mud, feel free to ask anything there.
Bandit

Postby Gorka » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:02 am

IIRC there are some areas where the builders didn't even set the COORDS for the area.

In a perfect world, all areas would be fixed by a few commands given to certain players who could set correctly the X,Y,Z over time for all areas. Currently I don't think there is even a Z axis - which really would need to be added.

Also at one stage the immortals almost gave us a dump of certain info from the area files,which would have allowed us to generate the world maps without visiting the rooms, but it never got finished.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Return to Mudlet - unlimited possibilities