Artifacts Guide

Use this forum for general discussions

Artifacts Guide

Postby Gorka » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:32 am

So Maniac's new item type called an artifact has been in the game for a while now... at least 2 other players have one that I am aware of. Even if the item is not worthwhile for the player, there is drachma involved in the auto quest for a cp for it and therefore it should be interesting to all players. The item is forged at Preva with cp's you will need to collect.

Once the artifact is acquired, it acquires xp by "feeding it," every 24hrs for half xp or 48 hrs for full xp real time, certain incapacitated mobs LVL 40 or Below. The amount of XP you get from the feeding depends on the incapacitated mob's level and HP. XP is acquired until the level threshold is met. At this point the artifact requires an item to level up. The current artifact in game currently has 10 levels.

I'm not an expert in all it's matters yet, but just letting you know what I know...

Type look goblet...

The crystal goblet of fiery nightmares is not yet full of nightmares to pour.
Expected full time: 12am in 2 day(s).

-------------------------------------------------------------
* Goblet level: 3
* Goblet xp: 221
* Next level: 120
* [x] Level 1: 4-hour charm *
* [x] Level 2: Full restoration on charmed mob *
* [x] Level 3: Aegis on charmed mob (30m) *
* [ ] Level 4: Enhanced hitpoints (x1.33) on charmed mob *
* [ ] Level 5: Demonic Aura on charmed mob (4hr) *
* [ ] Level 6: Iron Skin on charmed mob (4hr) *
* [ ] Level 7: Reflection on charmed mob (3hr) *
* [ ] Level 8: Enhanced Hitroll (+1) on goblet *
* [ ] Level 9: Enhanced AC (-0.1) on goblet *
* [ ] Level 10: Enhanced damage reduction (+1) on goblet *

As you can see, you can overfeed your goblet and that xp will count for the next level.

Type ask goblet...

You look at the crystal goblet of fiery nightmares and, feeling
a little foolish, you speak to it. To your surprise, the goblet speaks back.

'Master, I am at your service. I am a goblet of many talents. First and
foremost, I collect nightmares from the world around me over time. When
I am half-full or full, you can pour me into the mouths of whoever you
wish, though it is likely they will need to be incapacitated before they
will allow such a thing to happen. The results will be... interesting.
And be aware, I am a powerful goblet, but there are limits to my power.
My nightmares will only affect creatures at or below your own power level.
The following is a list of useful commands that I honor:

ask goblet <anything>: I will repeat this message.
look goblet: I will report my xp and level, plus capabilities.
consider <mob>: Using the mob's full name (i.e. xerxes instead of xerx),
I will give you an idea of how much xp a mob is worth.
pour goblet <mob>: If I am either full or half-full and the mob is mortally
wounded, then this is where the party starts! Note that
the effects (and xp) are halved if I am only half-full.
offer <object> goblet: When I am ready to level, I will require you to offer
me the specified object for me to gain level.

One final note to consider is that not all creatures have the same degree of
difficulty. The stronger the creature, the more experience I am able to gain.
I think you will find that it is not wise to spend our time trying to
dominate kobolds to gain xp. Use the consider command liberally. Last, but
not least, I look forward to the mischief you and I will get into!'

As you end your query, it seems to you that the goblet is laughing to itself.

Type offer goblet...

The crystal goblet of fiery nightmares tells you respectfully
'I'm sorry, master, but you don't seem to have the object I require for level 4.
Remember, I need a very small ruby [offer goblet ruby].'

Regarding the charms... when the mob is incapacitated and it's offered to the artifact the mob begins to follow you, hence you now have the same mob as a follower. This follower can be used to fight in your battles. Obviously the usefulness of that depends on what mob you fed it. I don't find the charmed mobs very useful simply because mobs have low mobility even if they are meat shields or do a lot of damage. Then there is the order lag... Which warriors just second wind, but a consideration for non necro's...

A useful way to use the charm for example, is I offered an incapacitated level 40 chop mob with 42k hp. I left it at phoenix in Arbo on SS. While it's charmed I can order it to assist me, but even after it's not charmed because the phoenix area's it will probably attack the phoenix anyway... haven't tried yet.

So the charms are a novelty that perhaps could help you cycle a large mob, but realistically probably not a lot else.

The items you will need to collect to feed this artifact so far are... Midnight Sapphire, Onyx Bracelet, Very Small Ruby, Sapphire Bracelet, Gem of Ether, Emerald Gem of Perfection.

The item ID's as this...

You feel informed:
Object 'crystal goblet fiery nightmares *Gorka*', Item type: CONTAINER
Maxweight: 500
Item is: GLOW PERSONAL RESTRUNG
Weight: 1, Value: 2000000gold, Worn in: TAKE HOLD
Can affect you as:
Affects: MAX_CON by 1
Affects: REDUCE_DAMAGE by 2
Affects: ARMOR by -4
Only those who have attained supremacy in at least six classes may use this
item.

As a warrior I don't find the item very useful... even at -0.5ac held low... 3 dam reduct, it probably won't replace my relic, or my scarab of destruction... unless rebirth shop comes into play.

I think the idea is great. Hopefully more levels are added to artifacts in the future, as they are more work than any other items, but currently not really any better than existing items in elite eq modes.

I do wonder what happens at level 10, can I still get charms? Perhaps that's the most interesting novelty of the artifact. Maybe Maniac might like to consider a new command that sets the "active" level of the artifact if that is not the case.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Re: Artifacts Guide

Postby Josiah » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:56 pm

For me, the artifact is superior to the relic. It coincidentally was released the day I planned to buy a relic, which was awfully nice!

I think the only thing left out of your guide is that holding the artifact (low or in inventory) upgrades your 'consider' command to tell you if a mob is 41+ or not. This helps you know if a mob has potential to be charmable, or if they are particularly vulnerable to wraithform, etc.

Rumor has it that more artifacts (catered towards various prime classes) are under development.

The Powers What Is don't seem to enjoy alternative play-styles like making mobs fight each other. I don't think your uncharmed mob will strike the phoenix unless he is native to Arbo. Even if a mob is in their spawning area, they will still attempt to flee rather than fight. Those protections are disabled while the mob is actually charmed, of course.
Josiah
Double 40 Poster

Postby Gorka » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Josiah wrote:The Powers What Is don't seem to enjoy alternative play-styles like making mobs fight each other. I don't think your uncharmed mob will strike the phoenix unless he is native to Arbo. Even if a mob is in their spawning area, they will still attempt to flee rather than fight. Those protections are disabled while the mob is actually charmed, of course.

Tested and this is true. I'm sure I remember older days when it wasn't. Seems an interesting decision to block that alternative play style, would have thought it added a dimension to the game, not taken something away from it. There are only so many things you can do in a MUD, you can fight the mob, be the mob, get other mobs to fight other mobs... seems an odd decision to limit that.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Postby Gorka » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:48 am

You pour the crystal goblet of fiery nightmares into X's mouth.
As you step back, X starts to follow you!
The crystal goblet of fiery nightmares receives 50 xp!

As you finish pouring the crystal goblet of fiery nightmares,
it begins to glow with a radiant light and screams as loud as it can--
'I hunger for a diamond chip!!! Offer me one!!!'

Umm, no. Cost of the diamond chip is 175 drachma. Artifacts was/is a great idea Maniac. Items that increase in power, because you earn it. All to often, elite items even botters can score in groups these days. At least with this method the item is earned. Leveling the goblet got laborious... but that is sloth. Unfortunately the item is not terribly useful as it doesn't replace -0.7 2 WD or the Scarab of Destruction. In my opinion this item should be elite... no other item takes 3 months minimum to level and unfortunately it's only... almost elite. I really hope more levels are added to it, and the drachma cost is replaced with other items or reduced, or saved till the item really is elite. At this level perhaps it could be a diamond bracer, not a diamond chip. I really hope to see more of these item types, but they are FAR more work than traditional forges and need to reflect that in there intrinsic value or I feel players will not bother. I would also like to see them for VK'ers, maybe only 4 or 5 levels, but it could enable perm valkers to get items slightly higher in value than regular items... and it would be worth it, if they were perm valkers. Example -0.7ac neck item, limited to levels <= 20.

Level Items...

2 - Midnight Sapphire
3 - Onyx Bracelet
4 - Very, Small Ruby
5 - A quartz crystal gem
6 - Gem of Ether
7 - Emerald Gem of Perfection
8 - Gem of Thousand Stars
9 - Chaos Gem
10 - Diamond Chip (175 dr)

My hint for leveling the goblet is find a level 40 mob which has huge amounts of hp... think choppish.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Return to General Chat (Registered)