To Rebirth or not to Rebirth, that is the question...

Use this forum for general discussions

To Rebirth or not to Rebirth, that is the question...

Postby Gorka » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:15 am

I've spent a few days questing hard to purchase -0.5 rings. After doing so, I tidied up my quest information, and worked out roughly how much drachma was left in the game for me and how much I'd spent.

Basically what I found out was that I've spent 3000 drachma, and there is still about 2000 left outside of quests run by the immortals. I have already purchased all the optimum ac gear apart from a -1.4 helm and -0.4 + MAX_DEX guards which probably won't be better than -1.3 and -0.8 alternatives. So basically any further investment in drachma eq is already not in my class specific function now.

Given the main advantage of rebirth is the ability to redo quests, it appears that all this drachma will achieve is add mana regen or the odd MAX_STAT to mostly already optimum eq. Secondary improvements... Given the changes to scrolls, and the running less of epics, and the further rank gains having little power gain for effort, already I am questioning... is there any rush to rebirth? I don't think so...

Rebirth involves a further investment of 450b xp and 890m gold (the gold cost is probably worst), before you get back to where you were. Unless you wish to use the double xp bonus to buy things quicker from the avatar shop, you'd really need to be spending more than 225b of xp to make rebirth "worth it."

I'm not sure that rebirth is worth it, unless a player wishes to "replay" the game essentially for the fun of it... so I don't think anyone should be in any hurry to do so, and only do so with a lot of thought. I think there are 5 or 6 rebirths now, and 3 or 4 thinking about it, so make your decision wisely.

I'd be Interested to hear some feedback from 9x40's and rebirthers now we already have a 6x40 rebirther.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Re: To Rebirth or not to Rebirth, that is the question...

Postby Gorka » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:36 am

Expanding on my last post...

I'm interested if the immortals see rebirth as a "Progression" or a just a "Replay Option." Because at the moment it is debatable that this cool feature is actually a "Progression" of the game, ie, players don't get much stronger rebirthing.

I guess the question is, should rebirth be a progression, and if the answer is yes, then will a rebirth shop be opened?
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Postby *juggleblood* » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:29 am

I've asked the various rebirthers why they did it and different aspects are more important to different people, but I'd say it goes something like this:
1. I've been 9x40 for a long time and I'm reaching a point where the incremental advancement isn't fun. I don't want to start a new character, but I want something to be different.
2. I'm happy to be able to change my class order and play my char differently.
3. A lot of new lower level content has gone in since I was already very powerful, I want a chance to try it with my existing character. (Including coliseum)
4. I want the additional drachma.
5. (Heard from someone who hasn't rebirthed yet) I want the xp multiplier, because I did the math and in the end, it's cheaper to max out at the lyme mayor if you rebirth first and then grind xp with the multiplier.

I'm approaching 9x40, about a month out, and I can tell you that i'll be spending at least a couple years at 9x40 shopping from the Lyme mayor. If anything I'd do a remort. Really I see the rebirth as a thing specifically aimed at people who either have been 9x40 for a long time, or the ultimate masochistic power player (i.e. i'll rebirth the moment I hit 9x40 just for the xp bonus and then go right back to grinding xp).
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby cyprimus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Well, for cy its all of the above... drac less for him, but still never hurts. I enjoy leveling.. and being able to redo his classo to adjust it for what I have learned since I started him, is making it more fun.

As for cost/effect... your spending 350 bil exp to get a 40 percent bonus overall.. on a trillion or so worth of shop purchases.. so.. no real gain.. though it looks fun... you may save 200 bil overall if you get everything..

Being able to see the new content for newbies was nice, though I barely got a look at it... I had intended to spend a lot longer releveling, just got going and did not stop. One of the things I love about sloth is that it is a new game for each alt.

Oh, also, exp multiplier makes golding more difficult. even running coins you can easily earn more exp than you get coins from if your not used to it.

Well, logging in from apartments office, so reading and responding as best I can.
cyprimus
Double 40 Poster

Postby *Breeze* » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:38 am

tl;dr version
-------------
some new stuffs coming
i get more time this year to work on sloth
don't push me

long version
-------------
Rebirth should be looked at as "i want to try something different"
and "lets see how twisted Breeze can be"

Currently, rebirths get what is in the rebirth helpfile
there is no use in anyone emailing me demanding changes because that will get a
flat out no.
that means, emailing me with "do this (blah) or i wont rebirth" (which has happened more than once)
wont help because this is my "fun project" and i am not forcing anyone to rebirth.

everything there was literally done "on a whim"
Josiah asked to be level reset and i decided to let him keep some stuff and added the (Reborn) moniker.

yes i have other plans for it, but not sure when i get to them.
ofc this year i decided to take a weeks vacation each month for 9 of 12 months instead of my
usual just take all vacation at once scheme, so i should have more time..

maybe i get bored and enlist some builders help and make a "reborn only" area (i added the roomflags for it already).
or maybe i take my revamped epic army code and make it apply to reborns
(more honor rank tiers at more frequent intervals.. with more titles etc)
i dont know..

new features added are retroactively applied to every old rebirther
with the exception of xp/gold/honor/etc.. i am not going to calculate xp/gold/honor/etc differences.

there is code already committed (awt pull/reboot by teker) to allow rebirths to wear their avatar lights, AND to even allow rebirths/full avatars to recycle their light and change it stats (will probably be done as a mini quest/forge thing.. atm its done as a special clasp which eats your light allowing you to make a new one at the lyme mayor).

rebirth shop was supposed to be a thing, until some people pushed me too hard
so i decided against it.
*Breeze*

Postby Gorka » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:59 pm

*Breeze* wrote:"lets see how twisted Breeze can be"

I bet that's twisted... real twisted... :twisted:

All good Breeze. Sloth is meant to be fun, and pressure ain't. I still got a month of grinding till 9x40... but will seek to be in a state of "preparedness" for rebirth in case something interesting comes up. Spring is on the way here, but I expect to run some groups specific to finishing clasps and quests soon for interested people.

Herbalist, MNM, and Desert are becoming increasingly important priorities for those of us near 9x40, it's nearly time to band together...

Coming soon to slotHBO...
Pic.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Postby Josiah » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:13 pm

Sweet Av light! Man, I skip a week and look what happens. I should get busy more often I guess.
Josiah
Double 40 Poster

Return to General Chat (Registered)