Ideas to encourage groups

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

Ideas to encourage groups

Postby cyprimus » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:54 am

After two hours of discussion, between zuzu, zeke and myself, we came up with the idea off removeing level limites on valk, and placing level limit back on lyme.. though maybe with 1x40 insted of 3x40.

this would encourage ppl to move off valk faster, and remove the 'waiting for drac' reason for leaving. thereby allowing/encouraging them to keep leveling.

and adding the lyme limits would prevent the max avvie dragging valkers to 8x20 bs that is becoming all to common.
cyprimus
Double 40 Poster

Re: Ideas to encourage groups

Postby Teron » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:41 am

1. Removing level-limit from valk is a good idea. I really hate the time, when you have to cycle drachma without leveling the prime class.

2. Putting the limit on Lyme will only move such newbie exp trains to other continents. Such "groups" won't invite any other players, so I don't see, how it'd fix anything.

Given the lack of exp groups, there's little chance to join a large exp group, too. So far, I see that it'll restrict access to lyme for 1x40 players, who join a notemp chop group and it'll suck for them to be left out. Yet again, just 2 more reasons to bring the chop groups back at the similar exp rate that's offlyme w/o bonuses.

I, for one, do not see anything wrong with group with a friend of different levels. This is the part of Sloth that I like. The other player simply gets as much exp as his total levels allow, that's reasonable. A newbie can work as a peri or as a low-level bard, helping as much as he gets exp.

As you can see from here and the other thread, I don't like limits and I prefer active solutions to problems, rather than trying to force someone do something by restricting his game-play.
Teron

Postby Yasik » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:08 pm

Do you see many 8x20 on Lyme?

Do you know anyone except ME above 4x20, not mentioning 5x20 or more?

I threat this as personal attack.

You two are just angry at Surfnazi killing faster in "your" areas so you cannot compete with him.

Surprisingly, yall not trying to get better eq, a buddy and try to kill faster than him; instead, your intent is to screw up things so nobody can run exp like now.

This has nothing to do with "encouraging leaders to lead". Shame!
Yasik

Postby Teron » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:22 am

I've played a number of characters past 2x20 and the only reasons I didn't level prime were coliseum and valk quests. The time, when players need more prime levels, instead of farming valk quests, is about 2x20-3x20.

Yasik, please re-read what I wrote.
Putting the limit on Lyme will only move such newbie exp trains to other continents. Such "groups" won't invite any other players, so I don't see, how it'd fix anything.

I, for one, do not see anything wrong with group with a friend of different levels. This is the part of Sloth that I like. The other player simply gets as much exp as his total levels allow, that's reasonable. A newbie can work as a peri or as a low-level bard, helping as much as he gets exp.

Even when it comes to 8x20, which are an exception, I still don't see how putting them offlyme would help, which is what I'm trying to explain to Ezekiel in another thread. And only some of the 20-39lev experienced players would group with real newbies for exp, and none for eq.

It's kinda funny, when you accuse me of envy and assume I do it because of you or Surf, when I'm trying to defend newbies being on Lyme.

your intent is to screw up things so nobody can run exp like now.

Please quote me, where exactly I want to screw up exp by suggesting that we need more people, more eq, more high-end areas and chop reinstatement.

P.S. Some ideas to encourage grouping:
- once a week, make mobs in one area grant honor and all ppl, who kill the mob, get the same amount of honor (i.e, not splitting, otherwise they'll be camped by honor-hungry ppl)
- increase exp by 15% for players in the area that match the area difficulty (eg, 1x40 in Murkwood)
- make group bonus kick in earlier for 21-4x40 players
Teron

Postby Ezekiel » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:00 am

Yasik, let the adults speak please. See, on the two threads, there have been multiple people voicing ideas/opinions to try to better the mud. You have listed none, you rather just whine about how your opinion differs and how everything is an attack on someone rather than looking at the merit of an argument and saying, "Hey, I view this a different way, maybe I should suggest X as the solution to what they're saying is a problem." It's almost as if your purpose is simply to make people reactive by trying to make their actual suggestions seem like whines (by whining yourself but being accusatory). For instance, Taron and I differ on our take on some aspects of the game, but we both suggest ideas and work from there and are civil and respectful about our right to do so, rather than flailing about and saying, "It's all about Surf, it's all about me...waaaah...you're trying to restrict my newb." Maybe come up with a well thought out solution to issues other players have with the mud and, ya know, instead of thinking you have to immediately get defensive about things, think that maybe the people commenting are actually just trying to voice and be helpful, even if your opinion differs.

For the record, as I previously stated, I don't fight with other avatars for Lyme...and I don't care who runs it. My issue is with the x20 being dragged there and the net effects it's having, nothing less, nothing more. As I also previously stated, I didn't like when Dr did it, and I still don't like when Surf does it even moreso. I rarely run Lyme myself, and spend more time off-Lyme helping here and there. So, again, how about making a suggestion that can actually benefit the mud instead of getting defensive.

"Do you know anyone except ME above 4x20, not mentioning 5x20 or more?"
Dingo and Tinx are just a couple. There are others also, levs come pretty fast on Lyme. Shall I go on?

"Surprisingly, yall not trying to get better eq, a buddy and try to kill faster than him; instead, your intent is to screw up things so nobody can run exp like now."

Likely have better eq than him now and plenty of friends to run around with. You saw as much when you attacked me on channel while I was leading a large group (of course, off Lyme...but you know I'm just so jealous of these Lyme runs and that's the whole motivation for all this).

Really looking forward to actually hearing some adult-style suggestions rather than childish accusations by you.

My ideas to encourage grouping:
-Add a 3x40 restrict back to Lyme (I've already listed my reasons why on other thread, no need to beat a dead horse and make this thread the other one if you disagree)
-Integrate more new high end forge equipment
-If not adding the Lyme restriction back, create new incentives to bring back chop as that is why newbs were initially allowed on to Lyme in the first place.
-I agree with Taron on the de-restricting Valk.
-Increase off-lyme leader xp
-Bring back at-least decent gem rates, which encouraged a lot more grouping with a variety of mobs (a lot in the mud died when that change was made).

Just some food for thought from where I sit.

Peace,
Ezekiel
Last edited by Ezekiel on Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ezekiel
Double 40 Poster

Postby cyprimus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:22 am

So. we all agree. Valk cap is bad.

Please remove it..
cyprimus
Double 40 Poster

Postby cyprimus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:24 am

Oh, and fix chop groups so taron can lead/tank/damn/web/and heal them for 8 hours a day for years to come!
cyprimus
Double 40 Poster

Postby Teron » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:00 am

Eze, when I suggested that we should increase gem poprates on Valk, Splork said:
Splork wrote:Gem pop rates will not be changing, unless they get lower.

Though, if Lyme pop rates are lower, than elsewhere, maybe bringing up to their offlyme level would make people group more on Lyme, especially, if the chop is back.
If Lyme stays open to newbies, newbies may get invited to share the exp and allow us pop more gems.

Oh wait, you are against newbies on Lyme.
Teron

Postby Ezekiel » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:10 am

Taron, you are under the presumption that adding newbies in groups increases gem pop chance (which has not been verified at all, only suggested on what could be mere coincidences) and that if gem pop was increased...that it somehow would be equivalent/increased on Lyme (which I'm not suggesting and I don't think imms would go for anyway, since traditionally, they have not). Thus, gem pop chance wouldn't deal with the Lyme issue at all...sorry you try to tie everything into still being able to run your newb there, but gem pop increase issue is not one.
Ezekiel
Double 40 Poster

Postby Teron » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:35 am

1. I only suggested increasing gem pop rate on Valk to bring remorts/experienced alts on Valk to increase groups.
Though there aren't that many areas with big mobs, so I'm not sure how that'd help.

2. I merely quoted Splork that they are not going to increase any pop rate, even on Valk.

3. I've led lots of groups and there's enough "coincidences" to suggest that the minimum member amount of group members we got a t3 gem with was 9 (or 8, I forgot). That included 2-3 newbies on Island/Dweb runs.

Though some said that the number of 40s plays a role here, but I haven't tested it. Again, we don't even have large groups any more since War, Sochi, Dr, Tembikai and Fluffy are taking a break and Alris is MIA, too.

Ezekiel wrote:sorry you try to tie everything into still being able to run your newb there, but gem pop increase issue is not one.

Believe it or not, I'm thinking in terms of new players being able to join exp groups, interest which is shared by you, me and immorts. (Even though the whole idea of forcing people to group is questionable.)

Please read the following lines keeping that in mind:
- we agree that chop groups for exp would bring newbies back on Lyme
- if Lyme gem pop rate is same as offlyme, there will be more groups: more even chances to get newbies to join them. In fact, it may be one of the two factors that'd enable chop groups.
- if group member amount helps gem pop rates, which is my belief, based on experience (have anyone popped a t3 solo?), then there are even more reasons for new players to join exp groups (or rather, leaders to invite them and group members to keep them alive).

Again, try to understand that you read into my argument the same thing Yasik is reading into ours: it's not about my newbie or anyone's, it's about letting new players in groups of old players. And Lyme chop is another type of groups that experienced players can join in, if the exp there is reasonable and poprate as good as offlyme (otherwise, why bother with grouping on Lyme for exp at all?).

I'm simply trying to find a solution to improve the game play, not force someone change theirs just because some of the gameplay or player amount need improvement.

P.S. I understand that you are taking a break since you lost a golden sack. If immorts don't help you, let me try to restore at least some of the contents. Losing players on such minor incidents sucks.
Teron

Postby cyprimus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:12 pm

I am wondering if having a scheduled time would help.. especially on weekends..

That is... i wil be on saturday, and if we get a tank and healer.. will lead..

problem is, ppl no show to much... but maybe we can try?

Not sure how to approach it.. ie- should leader post when they are willing, or tank or healer? Seems we have troubles getting the three together... myself i never really know much ahead of time, so dunno..

Just waking up, so someone organize my thoughs already!
cyprimus
Double 40 Poster

Postby Teron » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:58 am

I thought about a quarterly calendar, where we could see:
- global bonus days
- quest announcements
- where leaders could submit the time, when they plan to start and end leading.

As usual, it requires some Breeze time to integrate global bonus days to the calendar (or we'll have re-enter them every month or so).

That being said, it's summer, so I doubt we'll even have the people.

Though I'll look into the calendar thing, if I have time.
Teron

Postby *Splork* » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:19 pm

There are many factors which play into gem pop rates. A few of those factors are group size, xp of creature, and if your on Lyme or not.

The larger the mob the greater the pop rate.
The more group members you have, the better the pop rate.
If your off Lyme, the better the pop rate.
*Splork*
Site Admin

Postby *Breeze* » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:49 am

Teron wrote:I thought about a quarterly calendar, where we could see:
- global bonus days
- quest announcements
- where leaders could submit the time, when they plan to start and end leading.

As usual, it requires some Breeze time to integrate global bonus days to the calendar (or we'll have re-enter them every month or so).

That being said, it's summer, so I doubt we'll even have the people.

Though I'll look into the calendar thing, if I have time.

come up with a complete idea for the website and I will consider it..
*Breeze*

Postby Teron » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:27 am

Splork, since at least Eze and I agree that we need chop grops, would you consider at least upping the Lyme gem pop rate to the level of off-Lyme? That'd offer an incentive for people to kill large mobs there, rather than solo.

Also, how about increasing exp on chop mobs to the level of non-bonus offlyme exp? I/we can provide some ongoing feedback on how it correlates with offlyme, if you do decide to change it (right now it's several times worse, than offlyme even with 5-8 ppl).

Breeze, I'll try to provide more precise suggestion during the week.
Teron

Next

Return to Mud Suggestions