level limits/cap on the colisiem

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

level limits/cap on the colisiem

Postby cyprimus » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:10 pm

Seem to be ruining the game flow ... instead of leveling 40's ppl put them off to max pit score.. so you get ppl tha are 40/39/39/39/39 etc..

I would suggest to prevent this that after a certain number of kills, you stop getting drac.. and get honor only.
This also would close the potentially infinite drac from the pit, and also restore some of the balance.

Presently everything encourages one style of play... all damage..

Well, waking up, will try and make a more clear post later.
cyprimus
Double 40 Poster

Re: level limits/cap on the colisiem

Postby Belrath » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:49 pm

Hello, my first-ever post here.

Just out of curiosity, how does that affect you in anyway if someone does that. I believe there are hidden level limits that are considered fair. Atleast it takes alot out of your performance when you dont level 40, if someone wants to do that, I dont mind. Just have fun how you like it. Someone wants to push it? Let them push it. I do things my way, and it's all fun. Happy Slothing ppl 8)

- Belrath
Belrath

Postby Belrath » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:04 pm

Altho, I wouldn't give access to exp group if someone is 40 39 39 something. If they wanna make exp, go solo. Group needs support and support comes along with them 40's.

Ofcourse groupleader in each group makes the decisions but that's just easy way to avoid the conflict amongst the players, imo.

- Belrath
Belrath

Postby Yasik » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:10 pm

Actually, this was introduced long ago, when Ozzy was 39/39/38 Wa/Cl trying to outpace damage-dealing classos in Coliseum-1, after negotiations with a person responsible for that part of code.
There IS a limit, it depends on total levels, but I cannot reveal how much exactly aince I was asked not to, and I promised.
If you see 40/39/39/39 etc doing what they're doing, then probably they know about total levels cap and are below that cap.
Yasik

Postby Ker » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:13 pm

1) How does one who attains 40 39 39 39 39 39... "seem" to ruin game flow?

2) How does a 40 39 39 39 39 39 support differently compared to a 40 40 40 40 40 40?

What am I even reading?

Ugh,

Dr
Ker
Double 40 Poster

Postby Belrath » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:40 pm

Hmm, I'm probably wrong about the support thing. I was talking mostly on the 'feel' based thing. It 'feels' like some with alots of them 39 39 39 's is just getting easy xp. I have to think this through again, I might be wrong. No worries.

- Belrath
Belrath

Postby Teron » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:53 pm

I know this is an old post, but I've recently looked at how much exp you need to get to even 4x39 and it's astronomical: you need 850m only for the quad 39 level, 1.6bil for 5th 39 level and 2.4bil for 6th 39 levels alone. It's almost undoable quickly or easily w/o being a remort bonus.

The only problem they are causing is limiting themselves to go w/o x40 eq, extra hp and mana and access to tri40 areas.

Other than that, if they have the spells that are in non-40 levels, I don't see much difference with them in groups, really.

It would be interesting to know the total level limit, though. Shouldn't limits be known and all that?
Teron

Postby *juggleblood* » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:14 pm

I believe I removed all limits at the time of the last reset. I have not heard of anyone bumping against any limits.

I'm open to suggestions on what players want to do regarding the coliseum. But, I'm pretty happy with it in it's current configuration because there is a wide variety of classes excelling at it.

I reject any argument that the coliseum ruins the mud by encouraging people not to level. The sacrifice one makes in terms of Bonus XP, gear restricts, 3x40 gear, and pets is huge. If they're that determined to be good at one aspect of the game, so be it.
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Sam » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:08 pm

Hey JB,

I'd really like to see equal mana/hps/mvs restores, or all of them removed.

As its very luck dependant and benefits mostly caster types at the moment with only mana restores.
Sam

Postby *juggleblood* » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:45 pm

That was the change that leveled the playing field for casters. If you look at the top scorers you will see an even mix of classes. If we went back to full restores, non-casters would dominate again.
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*

Postby Teron » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:43 am

Maybe it's just me, but so far, casters dominate the field. Others merely mimic them by getting -saves gear and blasting, though some thieves/monks do get through.

Heck, you disabled dispel evil, because that's how newbie blasters dominated the first level.

Not sure hp restores would disbalance a lot: after all, you are sometimes half-full on hps and always empty on mana. Why did it ncs stronger earlier? was it in the earlier coliseum build?

W/o a hp restore, mages have the upper-hand at restoring more mana per orb. Warriors might as well get the same advantage with their hps. And thieves could use a restore of mvs as well.

Maybe there should be another solution to balance things out, rather than restoring resources unequally.
Teron

Postby Ker » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:13 am

When the coliseum was introduced, Non-casters raped it at ALL levels.

Not because of how the coliseum was built but because of the class perks and disadvantages.

To date, casters still do NOT dominate the field. Non casters do. Why do I say this? I played Ikyu and compared the results/technique/procedures involved with a pure type caster such as my mate Tembikai. There's a lot of "work" to accomplish and achieve an "okay" result. There is simple work for a Non caster to achieve "okay" results. By means of "okay" results, average numbers that excel as you try on. If I had followed the concept behind Tembikai's build, Ikyu would have probably scored better, much much better. Is it about the class? Nope. How he did it? Ask Tembikai.

The recent meta change between -spellsaves and +spellbonus surely played a part. How different is a lvl40 mage prime compared to a 5x40, or even 6x40, 7x40 towards 9x40? How different is a warrior at lvl40 prime towards 9x40? Get my drift? Typical DnD pattern, early mage, late warrior. But thankfully it is a multiclass system, so go figure.

What Sam said is true. It also depends on luck and what type of creatures you spawn. It's a different story when you grind it though, luck has its own play. There were no such thing as a "full restore on hps" or even mana when it was first introduced. What does that translate to? Passive hitting non-casters with okay ac just going on and on and on. Casters? Splat splat, regen. Splat splat, regen again. How to balance this? Thanks JB!

You would only see "experienced" players going at it because of what it's worth. By far I can still count the numbers with one hand - how does that conduce to a "problem" of limitations?

The solution was pretty clear. If you still suck at the coliseum, you are doing it wrong.

Regards,
Dr
Ker
Double 40 Poster

Postby Lekach » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:48 am

Hey Everyone! I am new here.

I have been having fun so far and enjoying slothmud a lot! I hope you are too. Forums are new to me too.

I started off with Valkyrie, autoquests then coliseum. The fun keeps kicking in at the end. During the coliseum, at i started off with shaky hands, being nervous and all but only to achieve about 20-ish. That wasn't good enough for me. I want to achieve more. I kept the ball rolling and grinded coli for 4 days straight with the help from Dr for getting me eqs. Then on, i get better results and keep thinking what can we improve.

After everything that we did, which includes finding proper dex, max mana mode, mems, proper astrology and also a spell save mode, I find it really ridiculous that efforts that we put in only gave me 4 kills more on top of Kirei.

For the incoming coliseum challenges, I do not know what we can achieve. However, here is what I can share. Stop whinning and keep trying!!

So far so good in slothmud. I hope that the fun keeps rolling in. I also experienced grouping with Taron, where he is a very steady leader and keep the group going with less boring regens. Finding the right combination and tricks should be the key of getting results, if what everyone here is all about.

Cheers, peace out ~

Tembikai
Lekach

Postby Teron » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:49 am

You just need to have in mind that Kirei put the same amount of effort as you did, so a 4 advantage over him at the top is pretty darn good.
Teron

Postby *juggleblood* » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:15 pm

It's not fair to call people's suggestions 'whining'. I can see where non-casters might find it unfair. But the results don't lie. There is a very diverse representation of classes when you look at the top scorers. This didn't used to be the case. I think by restoring mana and not hp/mv we've come about as close to class parity as we will get without having to nerf second wind or the actions one can do while deathgripping.

Levels 1-5 could probably use a boost to hitroll/damage tho to even things out a bit.

If there is an immortal who would like to take charge of the coliseum btw, I would be happy to let someone else decide this stuff and could help out with the mechanics of it.

There is another coliseum build on AH that could be flushed out and put in, and the 2 coliseums could be oriented differently from one another. I lack motivation / desire to make any decisions about it.
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*

Next

Return to Mud Suggestions