New feature ideas

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

New feature ideas

Postby *teker* » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:37 pm

As I mentioned in the "fastrun" thread, I thought a different thread would be better for discussing high level feature requests/improvements rather than cramming it into that one. There are currently 235 ideas in the database, so I thought I'd throw out some as a conversation started. But feel free to suggest others. In general I tend to pass on ideas involving game-balance (due to my lack of playtime) and I especially ignore things containing the phrase "remort bonus".

Daily/Weekly autoquests with random reward exp/coins/drachma/items, with announcement, like Mathor but reward is not honor

spell for low/mid level cleric/necro that gives a dying player an extra tick before corpsing

add weapon dam, stab dam, circle stab, sys shock and other stats to score stats2

Add a direction echo to hunting so we can learn our way around.

make list available online for those who've made av40

'send' coins to offline character

reduce time required to consign an item by half, ideally, to 5-10 seconds. Or 1-2 seconds.
send messages to auction channel from consign in batches every 30-60 seconds, consign every 1 second. thanks

show exits with spy

Adding a visage effect to one of the holy items would help newbs in groups I have had to tell them no when we ran roberts

have replay show the last comments even if you just logged on
ability to replay last 30 comments in public channels even if not logged on, could log on and replay gossip and see what's going on

any way of making mob attacks stand out in any way (colour, highlight,??). Would be great for groups and tank rescues etc

what if a quest asked for a random real-life piece of information, with a short time limit to answer..

locate obj locates objects in vendors (librarians in towns) inventories/list

do you think we could regen when we rent please? rented for 2 hours, paid innkeeper and still drained. thanks.

add cool aura for chars running at 25max stat, since its not easy until later levels

can we add a 'self' variable.. equaling charactername.. please?

a player viewable ideas list with an ability to cast their vote for a particular idea

mob that gives spells for cash (get gold out of the game for high levels)

a "duration" command in score to list the time till affects fall, for people
that dont have MSDP in their client, like this: "score duration"

have an option to listen to public channels, when asleep (gossip, auction, quest)
reasoning: too few ppl that can hear a useful/urgent message, don't use replay

when buying something with house buy command, make direct transfers from bank account, if no enough money on hands

add a message "the auctioneer has finished consigning your item"

add some gold value to t1 useless gems. Like 100k. So players could sell them to vendor if nobody needs

please consider restoring the old "groupwho" command, which showed the who-list of only your group members

when one of the shards is with a pendulum, show it separately.
right now, a milky shard w/ a pendulum in a pile of other shards in the invis shown as: a milky crystal shard 4

add a library to vaults: a vault for spellbooks
*teker*
Triple 40 Poster

Re: New feature ideas

Postby *Breeze* » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:06 pm

the auction timer is there because I didn't want to spam auction channel with 90 auctions ending at the same time but I am open to discuss it if you come up with a reasonable solution
*Breeze*

Postby Dragoth » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:21 pm

*Breeze* wrote:the auction timer is there because I didn't want to spam auction channel with 90 auctions ending at the same time but I am open to discuss it if you come up with a reasonable solution

Make the auctioneer accept all the items you give him for consignment, but make him automatically add any time interval you desire between actually consigning them.

We do not care when the item goes up for sale, as long as we dont have to stand there for minutes on end to consign a few items.
Dragoth
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Ker » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:57 pm

1) add cool aura for chars running at 25max stat, since its not easy until later levels

Me really like this one. Give some cool bonus too thanks!

2) make list available online for those who've made av40

Permanently.

3) add weapon dam, stab dam, circle stab, sys shock and other stats to score stats2

Time to welcome them into the list.

4) show exits with spy

This could be the finisher for this cool skill.

'5) send' coins to offline character

Yes please!

Regards,
Dr
Ker
Double 40 Poster

Postby cyprimus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:59 am

aura seem pointless..

website has list of max avvies.. but its not been updated in years.. and still has bad links.. or are you wanting avvie shop list? its on website either way..

spy skill does show exits..

ship an item with cost to a character thats offline, and you can collect it to send coins to offline ppl.

affects duration would be nice.. this is only mud i have seen that does not have it..

self variable would definitely help

library vaults would be nice. as would other specialty vaults like shards

spells for cash.... don't seem to fit here, but giving the number of permanent effects, stackable potions etc.. why not? Took me years to get -13.7 ac.. now you can quaff a few potions and be there at level 20.

i agree on groupwho and pendulum..

we already tried weekly quests before.. same ppl always knew it.. and no one else... i never even heard about it till it was removed..

ok, 2 cents used.

thanks!
cyprimus
Double 40 Poster

Postby Teron » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:53 am

The auction timing was my idea.

Basically, we want to consign any number of items at once and we don't really care how you time messages/submit the items to the website database.

You can time like this:
- player consigns 10 items: auctioneer takes all the items immediately
- internally schedule items for submission in batches, 3 items every 15-30 seconds.

This way, you get notifications of auctions ending for 3 items every 15-30 seconds, which seems acceptable. You can tweak it for faster/slower and more/less items, if you or players find it acceptable.

Cyprimus, the weeklies we had were very rough, because the rewards were the best items in slots for a long while. Since they only had a 1 week limit, it forced everyone to camp the same mobs. What I meant in the idea, is that there should be a quest in every 3d area that can be done for a reward of some gold or minimal drachma. We can split the mobs by making quests prime or level-restricted or both, since tards w/ relocation would be hogging most rewarding quests, if they could. Possibly, we can divide the mobs to hit more w/ some other stuff, but this is the idea.
Teron

Postby Filk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:41 am

About weekly quests. I suggest not making a single week quest for whole mud. But instead make a huge(at least at the future) and updateble list of quests, with marked difficulty(like easy/medium/hard/any other gradation).
So player can come and ask for random quest of desired difficulty once a week.
Somehow similiar to the system that World of Warcraft has.

I bet player could help with ideas or even exact patterns(including text) for a lot of quests, if you will ask for that to make list of weekly quests really big.

Not a problem, that quest gonna cycle at some point. The whole that game is about cycling things, why not that could be done with quests :)

No sure, if quest could be abbandoned before week ends. Maybe one chance to get another. Or better just pick one of 2-3 choices at the begining with no posibility to change during the week.

Reward should be good enough to motivate players come and spend at least several hours a week to finish that quest. 5-20 drachma maybe, depending on quest difficulty. Probably solid reward for the time spent. So completing each weekly quest will reward about 500 drachma for whole year for average player. Not that much to be overpowered, but definitely worth coming for it once a week. And more ppl come to play, more chances they stay for grouping or doing something else in the game.
Fluffy
Filk
Double 40 Poster

Postby Teron » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:48 am

Fluffy, that's what I had in mind about the weekly quests.

I really like the WoW daily quest system:
- there's a daily quest mob that gives out a quest for 1 out of 5 daily quests for a week
- you can undertake a quest and cycle mobs at your speed
- your quest doesn't get reset, you can keep cycling mobs for items for several weeks, if you are slow
- you can undertake another daily quest the next week and keep cycling 2 sets of mobs, if you haven't finished the earlier quest.

This way, everyone has to log in every week to undertake a quest and the overlap of mobs is minimal, because active players hit different mobs. If we add level *and* difficulty difference here, then the mobs to be killed won't be camped as much.
Teron

Postby *Splork* » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:30 pm

library vaults would be nice. as would other specialty vaults like shards

We have discussed this before and we all mostly like the idea of spellbooks being popped when they are needed. Its why they are on the no-vault list. It gets people grouping:)
*Splork*
Site Admin

Postby alris » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:54 pm

Vault libraries while sounding cool are indeed somewhat off balance. Even if you were able to vault only crumble-read or books with some other restriction. Nowdays we have library-stores, which are already enough.
Spells for cash worth considering, but will have to think through what spells and what duration you can get. Right now, we have purloin aura you can get god sanc and wraithform from mobs (for free!), but i never see people using it.
Regen on proper rent, sending coins to offline, daily-weekly quests and auctioneer tweak all look nice and interesting improvements.
And while we allowed to throw in own suggestions, let me:
Add some items player can buy with honor points. Time-limited (similar to grenade, but longer duration) with good boosts. As holy eq is aimed at low level characters, those could be aimed at higher levels, but with slightly different mechanism (not disappearing on rent/death). Could be even more different - scaled to the rank of player, same item type stronger by higher ranks. Something like
Sword which hits ethers (on par with cleric dark mace, but it costs honor to get and it is time limited);
Shield with ~10% dam reduct, stacks with fluidity and sanc;
Weapons dealing double damage to dragons/undead and other creatures and so on.

And another obscure idea, which probably should be rejected completely due to much offbalance, but here it is anyway:
Make usage of hands more rpg-like, for example give penalty to thief stabbing with shield and to monk using shield at all. I always have hard time imagining someone sneaking up to enemy holding tower shield in one hand, or monks using only one hand for martial arts, while other holds something so heavy. And on contrary maybe extra attack to players not using shield.
Also way to make monks(and maybe thieves) more real monks like - add some sort of limit on weight of items monks are using, that might add another dimension to calculating proper monk set and maybe make pure monk primes more different from other classes playing monk style.Though that would require adjusting weight on many items (for better correspondence between its name and weight and balance on some) and probably would need some benefit for monks running lightweight. This is not very sloth-like, but maybe someone will think its interesting.
alris

Postby cyprimus » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:10 am

ok, how about shard vaults? huge capacity but only holds shards ...as a stack... having one slot for each type of shard for example.. just tracking quantity as they are added or removed.

Oh the weekly quests,, sounds to me like you want a weekly group quest... maybe just keep adding them? why make a one time quest when you can make it a permanent? But either way.. unless its open all week to small groups will just leave a lot of ppl even further behind..

Far as i know there are no standing group quests.. or at least few..
cyprimus
Double 40 Poster

Postby *teker* » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:34 pm

Just as a heads-up, I am going to be working on vaults more now that the equipment set code is almost finished (announcement coming soon). If you have other ideas regarding the vaults, now would be the time to let me know.

The new vault code will allow players to:
- Build/connect without immortal intervention (already done)
- Purchase and configure keyless entry without immortal intervention (already done)
- Purchase regen affects without immortal intervention (already done)
- Purchase additional vault storage slots (alerady done)
- Store items with attached clasps and/or runes (not done yet)
- Store containers with contents (not done yet)
- View contents of the vaults from the web site (not done yet)

I'm especially curious about clan vaults - what do clan leaders want different in their vaults?
- Should the clan have it's own unique key? Or require keyless entry?
- Who can purchase keys (if applicable)? Officers or anyone in the clan?
- Who can add members to keyless entry? Officers or anyone in the clan?
- I'm assuming the clan won't care if a member decides to purchase regen or vault storage.

What else?
*teker*
Triple 40 Poster

Postby *Breeze* » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:03 am

i work on the assumption that anyone can buy buffs but buffs are non refundable and belong to the clan.
*Breeze*

Postby Teron » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:29 am

I just have to highlight how this idea:
a player viewable ideas list with an ability to cast their vote for a particular idea

would be helpful to:
- let players rate the ideas, so the imms know, what the players want more
- let ppl discuss separate ideas in separate threads to make this readable and more useful.

A thread per an idea might work, except I don't see rating yet and I don't think 50 or so threads will be readable in a list due to extra info (author, date, etc).
Teron

Return to Mud Suggestions