How to get tools to pick lock?

Questions and info for and by newbies.

How to get tools to pick lock?

Postby Kolockey » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:16 am

I am completely new to MUDs. I know this should be simple to do, but I can't find the right syntax to use and it is very frustrating.

I am a thief. I gained a few levels in my prime, and now I am at the thieves guild to level up my level 1 spells and skills. I found the books on the floor in the thieves guild and read each one multiple times. I am now 85% in most of my spells and 95% in my skills.

The only one I am having trouble with is the book you need to read to learn pick locks. I see the book has a keyhole on it, and there is a bag with tools in it attached to the book. So obviously I have to use the tools on the book to read it and raise my pick lock skill. Simple enough. However, every time I try a command I am told "Nah...You are too relaxed to do that".

I have tried 'pick book', 'pick lock', 'pick keyhole', 'use tools', 'pick book with tools', etc., etc.

Does anyone know what I am referring to, and if so, can you help me understand what I am doing wrong so I can learn how to up my pick lock skill?

Thanks.
Kolockey

Re: How to get tools to pick lock?

Postby *Breeze* » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:04 am

its a permanent book that you cant pick up.

i forget the actual keywords, but try

rest
read book
read 2.book
read 3.book
or
read manual
read 2.manual
read 3.manual
etc

you will of course need to read them multiple times.
*Breeze*

Re: How to get tools to pick lock?

Postby DarkArtist » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:26 pm

I believe he may be mistaking the thieves toolkit, which is the manual for steal skill, with an old item still in game in one or more of the guilds, which is a magical device/book whereby you can insert a key and have it tell you the name of the door that the key unlocks.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
DarkArtist
Double 40 Poster

Return to Newbie Questions