Wiki question: how much info is too much info?

Use this forum for general discussions

What information would you like to be available on the sloth wiki? (select as many as you like)

Only the maps! Keep your insane drivel to yourself!
No votes
It might be nice to know who I can sneak up on while invisible, or what sort of corpse a creature might generate.
29%
Show me the money! I want to know about gold and xp.
24%
I want to know what I'm up against. Give me everything you've got about hp, damage, ac, etc!
48%
I really don't care, knock yourself out.
No votes

Total votes : 21

Wiki question: how much info is too much info?

Postby Spink » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:07 pm

Greetings!

For a while now I have been considering dedicating some time to the sloth wiki, and in my opinion, the best way I can do this is to contribute my meager knowledge on the areas I've "completely explored".

The amount of info that could be included is considerable, and might include simple mob and object behavior not noted on the map, full tables of mob behavior on every mob present, gold and xp values for each mob, or full mob characterization based on the output from the study skill.

I know there are many aspects of this which could cause both mortals and immortals to be uncomfortable with easy access to this information, so I thought it might be a good idea to discuss it in a public forum.

I don't want to spend time working on something that will make people unhappy, so please give me your thoughts. I think that increasing the availability of knowledge for all sloth players is a very valuable pursuit, as Sloth has one of the steepest learning curves of any game I've played, and can mistakes here can have severe consequences.

Note: I have read Strago's previous thread on the topic. I realize this is a very similar topic, but the purpose of this thread is different in that I am collecting data on the appropriate level of transparency.
Spink

Re: Wiki question: how much info is too much info?

Postby reboog » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:35 pm

If I played the game, I would want all the data.
reboog
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Stark » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:28 am

I'm all about sharing as much information as possible, but that often seems to be at odds against the sloth philosophy. I don't think anyone ever took seriously the original (and still on the front page) sloth philosophy of "to make everybody's lives as easy as possible." :lol:

The wikirules here clearly state that they don't want a bestiary, nor technical and specific details. Everything else that is allowed to be written about, needs to be explained in some sort of a handwave fashion. And it all needs to be cleared by an immort.

Too many roadblocks and restrictions for my taste to ever bother with the wiki, but I hope you can overcome them.
Stark

Postby Spink » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:49 am

Hrm, thanks for drawing my attention to the extended rules page. I had only read the section quoted at the top of that page.

I suppose my proposed contribution would have to be considered a bestiary.

In any case I would still like to collect more poll data on other players' opinions, and I'd definitely like to understand reason for the rule.

Perhaps I will make something available on request to those who care to have it. I'm rather interested in proceeding with this as a purely academic exercise.
Spink

Postby *Breeze* » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:14 am

it's called common sense.

don't post complete quest walkthrough's, as that defeats the purpose of the quest.

that sort of thing.

if you have any questions about something specific, email me.

all immortals have name (at) slothmud.org email addresses.

i still haven't replied to the eqlist post as i am still considering my answer.
*Breeze*

Postby Spink » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:36 pm

*Breeze* wrote:it's called common sense.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

From Juggleblood's comment in Strago's thread, it seemed like describing mobs on the spectrum of stab/grip to chop would be acceptable. I understand that all immortals may not share the same viewpoint.

I would really like to determine the maximum amount of information that is appropriate, and make that information available.

For example, I would imagine it's probably more appropriate to say "masterful stab" than it is to say "300 hp" (or whatever hp is correct, not important).

To clarify my position, I don't want to report exact numbers for damage and health. I want to report ranges similar to the study skill output, corpse size, and special mob characteristics such as assisting, fleeing, or casting. I don't actually think it's a good idea to report XP and gold values, but it would be easy to do so while reporting the other information, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Spink

Postby *Breeze* » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:54 pm

its a bit harder than it seems.

what cizin considers easy, the rest of us consider hard.

what katie can tank, some others warriors cant.

if you were to post gold/xp values, they wouldn't be accurate because mobs xp ages
and it's possible for a mob to get extra gold here or there.

different classes also have different innate abilities, and of course some imm's have a twisted
sense of humor ( like me )

i suggest you consider how you go about this, talk to myself or juggleblood or splork about it,
and we go from there.

hope that made some sort of sense.

regards,
breeze
*Breeze*

Postby Yasik » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:48 am

Don't reveal anything.
Let them adventures find out by themselves, in a trial-and-error manner, in a hard way, as we always did.
One must harden himself by venturing throught fire and ice and everything included.
Yasik

Return to General Chat (Registered)