familiars

Questions and info for and by newbies.

familiars

Postby Towen » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:56 pm

Is it worth it to get a familiar?
What benefit do they provide?
What commands do they respond to? Example?
What are some of the more common choices? I know where I can find an owl, lizard, ferret, cat, and many varieties of different rats.

Thanks!
Towen

Re: familiars

Postby blackmore » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:40 pm

There isn't a lot of value to familiars anymore. The most common uses for them was to run to areas that are dangerous to reach, and to retrieve your corpse after you died. However, with the characters expanded to all 8 classes, and ferret mode being a low level druid form, that form can accomplish both functions much more easily.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Vixn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:54 am

if i remember right you can gate to your familiar so you can use it as a 'beacon' (not bacon) untill you get passage or lloyds.
Vixn
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Stab » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:18 am

In agreement with other posts. Order familiar by it's name in the same room ie. order bird rest, enter portal, etc. When not at the same location, order 'familiar' stand, enter portal, also like a mini robot, you can navigate it past aggros and through danger then gate to it.
Familiars will also carve corpse, get corpse, look mob, duration of them is level dependant I believe.
Stab

Postby Thraxas » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:33 pm

Stab wrote:In agreement with other posts. Order familiar by it's name in the same room ie. order bird rest, enter portal, etc. When not at the same location, order 'familiar' stand, enter portal, also like a mini robot, you can navigate it past aggros and through danger then gate to it.
Familiars will also carve corpse, get corpse, look mob, duration of them is level dependant I believe.

Have used them a lot in the past, I have scripts to filter their looks and responses to separate window and timestamp them. Very useful to gate to, watch for wandering mobs, or players entering an area, or just to run to an area where ferreting may be dangerous ... I used a lot in the past for exploring / mapping new areas ... you die as ferret you're dead ... your familiar dies its no big deal you get another.

T
Thraxas
Triple 40 Poster

Postby jezer » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Thraxas wrote:you die as ferret you're dead

Man, nothing escapes Thraxas.
"Don’t let me become the man that I say that I despise."
jezer
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Return to Newbie Questions