cleric necromancers

Information about the cleric class

cleric necromancers

Postby marge » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:28 pm

So I got marge to 5x40 and excitedly tried to supplicate my first pit fiend. I had 2 swordwraiths in tow already and got the msg:

Jake thinks you have too many pets already.

I can't express how bitter this made me. There is nothing in the help files or on the crier laying this out. I haven't been so pissed about anything on the mud in a long time. If I had known that pits weren't compatible with swords, I would have made a necro prime instead or just left necro out of my classo and put a non-caster in there.

I know on sloth they often hide many mechanics of the game, but this is ridiculous. Finding out at 5x40 that your class combination strategy is inherently flawed?

Are there other class combinations that are nerfed to not work together? A wa/th/mo can use parry, -12 ac, tumbling skill, damage reduction, frenzy, focus, and triple stab together in a single blow. But a cleric/ne who has attained 5x40 can't use their pit fiend with their swordwratiths? Summoning pets is the primary function of necros. That's why i added it to classo. Is there some kind of hidden logic here that I don't understand or is this just an arbitrary feature?

Any cleric necro's can enlighten me pls on what I can and can't do regarding pets?

Peace out.

-disgruntled cleric

p.s. how hard is it to get a class change these days?
marge
40 Prime Poster

Postby firebrand » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:47 pm

before anyone else gets a chance to say it: "make another char". for all those that know me, know i don't mean it. it's just another kick in the teeth to someone who has worked very hard to get to 5x40 and then find out that it was all for nothing. and sadly, the only sympathy you are going to get from anyone is "so solly". your time and effort means absolutely NOTHING to them.

'i'm sorry. did i break your concentration?" -jules --> pulp fiction
Yeah bringing you another disturbing creation from the mind of one sick animal who can't tell the difference and gets stupified.
firebrand
Triple 40 Poster

Postby strider » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:12 pm

wow i was gonna reply with some actual information but apparently firebrand is speaking for all of us. apparently i'm no forced to say sorry start a new character?

luckily i'll be a big boy and speak my own mind. sorry if this offends you firebrand! the problem isn't that your classes don't work together, it's that you are over your limit for pets you can control. i was pretty sad when i tried this out w/ mithrandir too. summon your pit fiend. then summon your swordwraith. unfortunately a second sword puts you over the limit but you can still summon a smaller pet, though i'm not sure anymore what size you can get.

i know it's not what you wanted to hear or see happen. but if it wasn't set up this way it would make necro prime rather silly, since pit fiend is generally more useful than a juju. on the bright side be happy you didn't try w/ an archangel. they get along even worse w/ necro pets!! and to take out your frustrations on necros, i suggest gettin an archangel and just relocating to all jujus in game. it's a good time :)
strider
40 Prime Poster

Postby marge » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Firebrand, why do you even post here anymore? Your drug addled brain is too fried to be able to play the game. You tried building, but gave that up and just started cheating. Now you just gonna hang around the crier and post nasty crap? No one cares about what you think anymore. Get a clue and maybe go to rehab and get a job while you're at it.
marge
40 Prime Poster

Postby marge » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:05 pm

I'm over the initial shock and disappointment. I had just been imagining marching into the archfiend with my pit, 2 swords, and piasa and beating the snot out of him in 1 run solo. C'est la vie. I'd still like advice on how best to solo with this classo of mine. Piasa style is actually much harder than I had imagined it to be. -12 doesn't get you nearly as far without parry, which i'm used to with Rub. I'm not sure if I should bother to put together an AC mode for Marge to play with necropets. Hard to carry around regen/spelldam/shift gear/undead control gear/ and AC gear to boot. I'm thinking necropets just aren't going to figure into my playstyle with marge. Maybe after I master Piasa I'll try necro prime.

edit: btw my classo is cl/dr/ma/ne
marge
40 Prime Poster

Postby Widow » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:45 pm

Marge, I can sympathize. When I finally got my control horde sb, I thought 'finally I can get my 4th wraith! Watch out world!'. But alas, no such luck. Widow is necro prime and cleric tert, but still experiences a lot of the same issues that Marge faces. I've played around w/ the supplications a little bit and have found that there are some supps that you can have no matter how many pets you've got in tow (ie, eudas/nightmares). There are others, Xegs and such that you've got to play the 'too many, too few' game.

Without the experience of cleric prime, it's my advice to run w/ a pit fiend and maybe a buffed swordwraith. It's worth trying to summon a wraith or even a spectre if only just to absorb those extra hits.

Regarding your additional eq and gear changes, that's one of those aspects of the game a lot of people struggle with. There are several posts on suggestions for imms and players to work with/through those problems. Personally I think it's all about buying up points from the mayor and trying to combine as much of my eq as possible.

I really like the 'super forge' idea, it plays to the strengths of the game such as autoquests and forges. This doesn't have to apply to everything but could be a step in a positive direction.
Necros are the life of the Undead party.
Widow
Double 40 Poster

Postby Toxis » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:04 pm

I think marge is a kickass char. If there's a balance issue, I'd work with imms to try to balance things. But I would think Marge would be phenominal to play. For some reason a piasa+pit fiend+wraithform+gfluid+eudaemon+spectral+haste+sword+(whatever extra undead you might be able to use) would be pretty tough. I'd love to try someday, compare with Toxis.

And remember, you need to heal me anyway. Forget solo! :)

-Toxis
Toxis
Triple 40 Poster

Postby jezer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:18 pm

As much as I would love to say all sorts of vicious things about hiding game mechanics, and crapping off players who worked there butts off in lame xp groups... what good would it do... But if the administration doesn't have that much time for the game anymore... and still wants to see the game improve and continue, maybe it's time to put it's control in the hands of some fresh blood.

[quote:3o7j3prq]Piasa style is actually much harder than I had imagined it to be. -12 doesn't get you nearly as far without parry, which i'm used to with Rub. I'm not sure if I should bother to put together an AC mode for Marge to play with necropets. Hard to carry around regen/spelldam/shift gear/undead control gear/ and AC gear to boot.[/quote:3o7j3prq]

Druid style can kill the archfiend in 2 runs. Obviously I'll run with two swords to buffer my damage intake and dish out a little.

Non-prime piasa sucks at -12.

Firstly... most don't have the regen eq worn shifted to improve mana efficiency. Having mana and shifting piasa is a bit like a bucket of water with a hole in the bottom... your mana is going to disappear fast.

Secondly... you don't have the prime shield of thorns spell, which heavily reduces damage until it bursts. Shield of thorns can save 100-200hp each round for a few rounds... I flee and recast as soon as it blows... costing 120 mana in theory... but druids use mana like Zimbabwe dollars.

I have all of those eq modes that you listed... and yeah, it's over 100 items in your robe, but you can mix and match. Running necro style with swords is crapper than piasa for me, even with max UD Control.

I hope you can find ways to make do. I know how disappointed I was to find that the druid avatar pet has 2 attacks, dies in 2 frostbolts, and you can only have one of them... and it's rooted... (which is about the only thing I agreed with :twisted: very rooted)
Last edited by jezer on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don’t let me become the man that I say that I despise."
jezer
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Weasel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:20 pm

Relativity check: try to solo anything even [i:wy8ptfdg]close[/i:wy8ptfdg] to what Marge's char can do with all the pets plus Piaza, but try it with an old school Warrior.. then you'd have something to [i:wy8ptfdg]really[/i:wy8ptfdg] be steamed over. ..and then be told repeatedly to stfu, stop whining, and make another char.. makes me consider quitting just thinking about it.. grrr..
Weasel

Postby Roadrunr » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:34 pm

[quote="Weasel":2bp1mklv]Relativity check: try to solo anything even [i:2bp1mklv]close[/i:2bp1mklv] to what Marge's char can do with all the pets plus Piaza, but try it with an old school Warrior.. then you'd have something to [i:2bp1mklv]really[/i:2bp1mklv] be steamed over. ..and then be told repeatedly to stfu, stop whining, and make another char.. makes me consider quitting just thinking about it.. grrr..[/quote:2bp1mklv]

amen brother.

as for the superforge idea. yeah, why not let me combine all my gear so I can run around in ac/mana/regen mode with full damage, that wont make me any more powerful at all. nice try though.
Roadrunr
Double 40 Poster

Postby Toxis » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:38 pm

You make me wanna play Tigger again just to see what a 40av oldschool could do.

Can I borrow a grenade for a week? No? :P

-Toxis
Toxis
Triple 40 Poster

Postby marge » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:39 pm

Tox I think you underestimate the value of armor class and my limited ability to carry that much eq with me.

Also remember that you can't order pets shifted, So yeah pit fiend+piasa is really cool cuz it autoassists. But otherwise you can only combine shift and necropets on mobs that have an area affect that draws them in.

Wraithform is neat I guess, but I really haven't found it helping out much. The mobs I want to solo are for eq/spellbooks and usually high enuff level to hit thru wraithform.

Pit fiend is neat if you have 3 large good corpses onhand and you are killing good-aligned mobs. Valkyrie is neat if you're outdoors so it can heal you.

For comparison sake, Rub can tear thru Ryleh, clearing out all the guards/gugs/shambers/etc. He can even hit shuggoth lord, stab it, defy pain, and blast it down. He can solo leng in a couple runs if he saves up a few corpses to keep making fresh bunnies, because he's able to get the damn, web, and acid blind in and then parry a good percentage of the attacks that make it through -12ac and debuffs. And he only carries his ac set and regen. I don't even bother with a damage mode since I got -12.

Marge by comparison, with 2200hp -12 piasa / fluidity/ haste/wraithform/bunny is pretty drained after just hitting the spectral and shuggoth guards. Piasa has no initial attack, no parry, and can't damn or blind. Those 2200 hps go down more than twice as fast as rubs.

Marge might end up retired.

Out of curiosity, how much more powerful is druid prime shift? More hp and manaregen? Any more benefits? shift cost and shift maintenance cost lower?
marge
40 Prime Poster

Postby jezer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:42 pm

[quote="Weasel":2o4d5gum]Relativity check: try to solo anything even [i:2o4d5gum]close[/i:2o4d5gum] to what Marge's char can do with all the pets plus Piaza, but try it with an old school Warrior.. then you'd have something to [i:2o4d5gum]really[/i:2o4d5gum] be steamed over. ..and then be told repeatedly to stfu, stop whining, and make another char.. makes me consider quitting just thinking about it.. grrr..[/quote:2o4d5gum]

It's not that we don't think your hard done by... it's just we started noobs that are now avatars in the time you've been going at it! :D I think to make warriors better for solo it's not just damage and skills needs to be addressed... it's actually healing... it's expensive... the warriors downfall is actually mana efficiency.
jezer

Postby jezer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:50 pm

[quote="marge":2dj0hfxo]Out of curiosity, how much more powerful is druid prime shift? More hp and manaregen? Any more benefits? shift cost and shift maintenance cost lower?[/quote:2dj0hfxo]

The difference in "size" of the prime's piasa compared to a secondary I don't think makes much difference at all... less than .5 of a round hitting a big mob for sure. As for the other interesting questions...

The shift cost of my piasa is 60 mana intial... the sustaining is mostly in the eq you wear... I doubt it would be 3-5 mana more per 3 rounds between prime and non-prime. Shifted mana regen makes so much difference, because the stakes are so much higher.

It's game mechanics... :roll: It's on a need to know basis, and apparently we don't need to know. :twisted:
jezer

Postby marge » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:05 pm

[quote="Weasel":2f11900d].. makes me consider quitting just thinking about it.. grrr..[/quote:2f11900d]

This is really funny when you remember that Weasel has 2 chars: Weasel and Ferret.

BOTH chars are Wa/ma/cl/th :!: :twisted:

By the way this also Rub's classo and I think it beats any quad caster classo hands down.
marge
40 Prime Poster

Next

Return to Cleric