Octagonals for sale!

Report a bug you found.

Octagonals for sale!

Postby Thraxas » Mon May 18, 2009 2:29 pm

Anyone know how good these Octs are? All that seems to have been said is that the min stat for them is 8 ... 4dr seems a high cost for that, or is there something I'm not seeing that makes them worth that?
Thraxas
Triple 40 Poster

Postby jezer » Mon May 18, 2009 9:24 pm

Min stat of 8 for 4dr... I think your right. It's fairly obvious you'd have to be both desperate and stupid to buy them. But we see this all too often, give nice stuff and then make it crap or unusable, I don't think this will be the last time either.
"Don’t let me become the man that I say that I despise."
jezer
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Thraxas » Tue May 19, 2009 10:28 am

Seems oct tokens are not 4 dr they're now 5 dr.

I know the term 'reroll hell' is a very subjective term and views about what stats different players are happy with vary enormously but I'm not sure I expected the current situation when Splork explained and many of us applauded his view that reroll hell should come to an end with the start of this incarnation of Sloth.

The way I see it now is that reroll hell is over, but only because getting tri tokens to get playable stats (70-75 total) is easy and quick to achieve, but getting stats I would be happy with for the rest of the game and proud of is impossible due to the sheer lack of availablility of tokens to roll to get them.
(Are hex tokens really as sparse as they feel to me or is it just my perception?)

I am therefore not in reroll hell, because I don't have tokens to roll and seeminlgly little chance of getting enough to have a sensible chance of geting good stats.
Right now I would actually like to be in reroll hell because I'd know that at the end of it I would achieve the keeper stats I'd like to aim for. (does that make me weird?)

(as an aside I always get worried when jezer agrees with any of my posts ... makes me think I'm expressing an unreasonable point of view)
Thraxas
Triple 40 Poster

Postby jezer » Tue May 19, 2009 10:51 am

[quote="Thraxas":fy67i9vi](as an aside I always get worried when jezer agrees with any of my posts ... makes me think I'm expressing an unreasonable point of view)[/quote:fy67i9vi]

I'd get checked for swine flu if I were you... you know its contagious... :shock:

I'm indifferent about the new stats system... because tri are easy to come by, and you can get a playable roll out of 3 or 4 or even less tokens... I don't care if I'm still rolling at avatar... may as well just keep rolling forever until I get something awesome... the risk of bad stats is now inconsequential. Although I think rolling awesome stats (81+) is just as tough as the old sloth, thank goodness most rolls are now playable, so I figure I'll just roll forever until something awesome comes up.

I notice Juggleblood has been mysteriously absent the past 2 weeks... any reason?
"Don’t let me become the man that I say that I despise."
jezer
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby *Splork* » Tue May 19, 2009 11:15 am

We in no way implied or guaranteed that everyone would get great stats easily, nor are achieving and rolling great stats much easier than in S3. What we pretty much guarantee is that a player will always have playable stats through the use of a tri token.

If a player feels that they need great stats to play this game, then they themselves are putting themselves into a spot where they will need to collect hex and drachma tokens until they have enough take a chance. The chance is small however, since they can simply roll 5 tri tokens afterwords and get what we feel are good enough stats to play the game competitively until they collect more tokens.

There are plenty of more hex tokens zoned ingame then s3 and their are at least ten more entries in the random zonings list for them, so while they may appear to be less accessible, there are definitely more of them out there.

If I take Thraxas as an example, the mud has not even been up for 2 months and his character possesses the stats of
ORG: Str[13], Int[17], Wis[17], Dex[16], Con[17]

If I go by the majority of reactions ingame, our changes to rerolls are working...

Good stats are more easily achieved on this version of sloth, what most of us deem as reroll hell should be, for the most part, removed also.

Atleast I think so and I hope plenty of other people do.

Btw, the octagonal token is 4 drachma, Im not sure why it went back to 5.

Splork
*Splork*
Site Admin

Postby Thraxas » Tue May 19, 2009 11:26 am

Splork,

you have my apologies for my impatience, you are right I should be happy with the stats I have at this stage in the game,

Thraxas
Thraxas
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Thraxas » Thu May 21, 2009 12:09 pm

Just to say I now have stats I'm much happier with:

Str: [13], Int: [18], Wis: [18], Dex: [15], Con: [17]

For info it took (I think) a further 45 hex/oct rolls and that was rolled on a hex.

... and to say that having been through the 'reroll hell' as I referred to it before I found that in practice it wasn't hell at all, the whole having tri and die available to give playable stats should a hex give a bad roll made the whole process very painless.

Well done Splork on what from what I've seen is an improvement over S3.

Thraxas
Thraxas
Triple 40 Poster

Postby *Splork* » Thu May 21, 2009 1:48 pm

The new reroll plan was almost exclusively the brain child of Clinker but we do appreciate the compliments.

Splork
*Splork*
Site Admin

Postby Vixn » Thu May 21, 2009 2:40 pm

How comes it doesn't include lost conc on some rerolls?
:twisted:

p.s. I agree with Thraxas - this roll system is the best I've ever seen.

Vixn
Vixn
Triple 40 Poster

Return to Bug Reporting