msdp CHARACTER_STATISTICS, CHARACTER_AFFECTS

Report a bug you found.

msdp CHARACTER_STATISTICS, CHARACTER_AFFECTS

Postby cnl » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:47 pm

These are 2 possibly quite unrelated issues

1) sometimes CHARACTER_STATISTICS goes crazy and reports *A LOT*
See - https://imgur.com/KCRVzF6
each cyan dollar is an individual send of the complete msdp CHARACTER_STATISTICS data.
Here's an alternate view https://pastebin.com/nZeXL6ib
It's sending the complete data multiple times around mob death for some unknown reason.
Also on scepter rewards it often goes crazy : https://imgur.com/0R6VGuZ
I feel like there are times I've seen it not doing this so perhaps inconsistent.

EDIT: this only seems to happen if I'm in a group with more than 1 person. if I'm the only one in a group I'm not seeing this crazy sending.

2) sometimes CHARACTER_AFFECTS data stops getting sent to my char.
BUT - other chars in same group may still be getting it (confirmed)
This only seems to happen on Fuligin and normally around lag time but I don't know what to make of it.
multiple attempts to UNREPORT, REPORT don't fix it. I just have to wait for whatever is lagging it to go away before it will work again. same with restarting mud client - doesn't fix the issue. Will sit will null msdp data in variable till it suddenly starts again. Weird thing is that it only affects my 1 char. But it happens multiple times a day and can last 5 minutes or so or even longer

EDIT2: it also seems like the SEND msdp command doesn't work it just returns an empty string for any given variable. if I'm reading the docs correctly SEND should return the value of named variable 1x vs REPORT which returns them on every change ( in theory). I was thinking of using SEND to generally decrease the reporting on some variables to times when i need them. I suppose if I really wanted it I could manage with tracking and having the relevant handler send UNREPORT on receiving data.
cnl
40 Prime Poster

Re: msdp CHARACTER_STATISTICS, CHARACTER_AFFECTS

Postby cnl » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:23 am

the freezing of msdp affects seems somehow related to items worn.

by that i mean, when it is occurring, when it's having one of it's freezing episodes for lack of a better term, i can remove some items and msdp.CHARACTER_AFFECTS will resume reporting, and I can wear them again and it will stop reporting. i really can't get my head around because it's not one specific item but for example magma rings don't seem to do anything but removing things like instrument + soc, or the new mage belt from dk vk seem to have an impact where removing them will get regular reports again and wearing them will stop it.

and then after a while the whole thing unfreezes regardless. I'll try get some more detailed tests done next time it locks up.
cnl
40 Prime Poster

Postby cnl » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:13 pm

Code: Select all
A cloud of inky darkness envelops Insomnia.
<1312hp 1542ma 296mv -% @76450>
[2:24 pm] (overcast) -8 27341905847 -9.2
get all from ledge
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$
You get gold coins from on a ledge.
There were 4.0K coins.
You split 4.0K coins.  You keep 403 coins.
There were 4.0K coins.
You split 4.0K coins.  You keep 411 coins.
There were 4.0K coins.
You split 4.0K coins.  You keep 401 coins.
There were 5.8K coins.
You split 5.8K coins.  You keep 586 coins.
There were 4.0K coins.
You split 4.0K coins.  You keep 404 coins.
There were 4.1K coins.
You split 4.1K coins.  You keep 417 coins.
There were 4.0K coins.
You split 4.0K coins.  You keep 411 coins.
<1312hp 1542ma 297mv -% @76450>
[2:25 pm] (overcast) -8 27341905847 -9.2

rather extreme example in group today. group seemed to pause for 4 seconds while all all the updates to character_statistics came through. that's like 1,310 consecutive sends of the data

here's wireshark capture of a much smaller event just verifying it's actually coming from mud and not mudlet being weird https://pastebin.com/gCcEwGcE

EDIT: kind of interesting to note on the Wireshark capture that several of the values bounce back and forth to different values multiple times. Current value for intelligence bounces between 23 and 25, ac bounces between -8.7 and -9.2, and Charisma bonus varies between 2,5,7 and 10
cnl
40 Prime Poster

Postby *teker* » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:55 pm

When I added those to the game I thought it would be more efficient to send them only when the data changes rather than on a regular interval like the older variables. It sounds like you're seeing enough problems that maybe they should be switched back. I took a quick glance at the code and I can understand why some of this may be happening. I didn't imagine it would be this extreme.
*teker*
Triple 40 Poster

Postby cnl » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:14 pm

CHARACTER_STATISTICS is the only one I've seen go crazy with over-reporting with the values bouncing about.
In general - I really like the ones that only report when something has changed.
BEING IN GROUPS or room with BARD SONGS are the primary triggers I see for CHARACTER_STATISTICS.
I kind of implemented my own SEND operation for it where on a timer I can request REPORT, get a valid response, and then UNREPORT till timer hits again.

CHARACTER_AFFECTS just seems to stop reporting sometimes, like it starts undergoing some kind of timeout.
the number of certain types of eq like artifacts worn and the number of spells up seem to impact whether this will happen. I can trigger it pretty reliably. when it is occurring, switching to my shock gear and back is often enough to get an update or 2 to get through if my spell list has frozen.
cnl
40 Prime Poster

Postby Gorka » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:48 pm

*teker* wrote:When I added those to the game I thought it would be more efficient to send them only when the data changes rather than on a regular interval like the older variables. It sounds like you're seeing enough problems that maybe they should be switched back. I took a quick glance at the code and I can understand why some of this may be happening. I didn't imagine it would be this extreme.

Hey Teker, how far back would you be willing to switch the code... :twisted: My offer of sharing all the bugs and exploits I found while playing still stands - to the person who might restore the game back to some sort of sanity where risk and reward made it worth playing - in the traditional way "games" are supposed to work. I still maintain the game has become pointless now with free mana, solo epics, death procs and practically free drachma on public holidays. Limitless drachma is free any day if you know how... towards the end, that actually became the most enjoyable part of the game, finding new exploits out of pure boredom, as I had already acquired everything legally... but it just got absurd when illegal exploits couldn't keep up with legal exploits... that's when I quit. It's a joke now... it's sad. I never wanted to see the game ruined like it is. But apart from bothering Idjit about his coin collection, why would I play anymore? Everything I worked for, for years was made available to new players in months, through over powering and sling shotting.

There is a disease on EU that bugs CHARACTER_AFFECTS from memory. I forget which disease. I think some specific mob casted it, so I just stopped killing him on my runs. I suspected it might have been a special/reserved character issue, but it could just be malformed MSDP for that specific disease.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Return to Bug Reporting