Town Crier Post Order

Please post your ideas to improve our web site.

Which order do you prefer the forums.

Poll ended at Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:48 pm

Oldest at the top of a page
31%
Newest at the top of a page
69%

Total votes : 32

Town Crier Post Order

Postby Clink » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:48 pm

Though there is actually less functionality available with the Newest Post on top, I will go with the popular opinion. Voting closes in 4 days.

Post comments on reasons why you would persuade your fellow board members which way you would want it.
Clink
Greater God

Thread order

Postby Avatar » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:28 pm

(A) I'm not an expert at software usability, but I guess there's something to be said for leaving software interfaces operating the way users are familiar with them operating.

(B) Using either method, some people will have to open the thread and scroll all the way to the bottom. If the newest posts are on the bottom, then the people who use the crier most often are scrolling to the bottom most often to check the newest posts on a thread. If the oldest posts are on the bottom, people who are new to the thread scroll to the bottom so that they can read the whole thing.

It seems your most frequent users who are always checking for the most recent posts might save time and effort if the newest posts are on top.

(C) Thanks for the "new since last" option, that's the only method I use to interact with the forums.
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Weasel » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:55 pm

I think Avatar covered it pretty well there. If you check the board often, it's certainly easier to have newest at top - who wants to scroll past the same old stuff every time to get to the new posts (unless you want to carefully click on that little orange box that's about 3x3 pixels).

Weblogs always have newest entries at the top, newspapers don't put the old news on the front page, tv news is the same - newest stuff first, so why not forums? Most often visitors that read the forums are regulars, so they don't need to scan through all the earlier posts, but I think why forums started out oldest first is because intuitively we read from top to bottom (at least in English) and it was kind of logical the entries be ordered that way too, but it's not really as practical considering the frequency of visits.. if that makes any sense.. :shock:
Weasel
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby madmax » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:57 pm

I agree with Avatar and Weasel.

Newest on top please.

Madmax
madmax
Double 40 Poster

Postby Weasel » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:03 pm

Same with emails btw - annoying when I get email replies and their reply follows the orig email, and then someone else responds to that but with their message at the top, and it gets progressively worse as the email is going back and forth. End result: trashed.
Weasel

Re: Thread order

Postby Clink » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:51 pm

[quote="Avatar":1cclzijk]
It seems your most frequent users who are always checking for the most recent posts might save time and effort if the newest posts are on top.
[/quote:1cclzijk]

I'll go with the majority decision here, but as I mentioned in a previous post, you can click on the arrow and page link to the post instead of the forum title and it takes you directly to the latest post without scrolling. It's a subtle difference clicking to the left of where you are accustomed, but on the other hand, it is a change.
Clink
Greater God

Postby 12345 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:37 pm

Personally, I like the click on left option. Another nice part is that you can refer to conservations on a specific page or pages without worrying about the page changing.

Also, in my time here, I've seen about 900 questions on how to have the posts displayed the other way. I know that it's never been that way here and we've asked for it to have that capability and we were told we can't. Now that we can, we don't want it :)

I think it would help draw in new players as well. Players looking for a new game are usually clicking through pretty quick and the slightest strangeness can set them off. They simply don't want to spend an entire night scouting for a game.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby Guinex » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:01 am

I never even knew that arrow was there, I can barely see it.
Guinex
Double 40 Poster

Postby kjartan » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:54 am

Ok, I voted for the old way but I've changed my mind. Given that clicking the tiny little arrow thing gets me almost-as-good functionality as the old way, and that there are nifty features to be had (RSS feeds) if we do it the new way, I vote new way (so +1 new -1 old).

What I [i:2fdw4lpb]really[/i:2fdw4lpb] want is for the forum to remember what I've read and take me straight to the new stuff.
kjartan
Creator

Postby Mace » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:08 am

Hm, can this be added to our Profile's preferences instead?
Mace
40 Prime Poster

Postby Weasel » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:21 am

[quote="Mace":1ma0v4ef]Hm, can this be added to our Profile's preferences instead?[/quote:1ma0v4ef]
Someone asked that, but no, at least not on this version of the forum sorfware anyway. If a software upgrade allows that to be an option, then sure, do whatever.
Weasel

Postby Clink » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:50 pm

Bump. Vote now, it is closing soon.
Clink
Greater God

Thread order

Postby Avatar » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:08 am

I realize it's kind of late to sway anyone to vote a certain way, but I found a few more reasons to vote for newest on top.

The sloth home page has a pane on the right side of the page that shows a preview of the last 5 forum posts. What order is that in? The ewest post is on top. Why? It makes sense to me, and it seems logical and intuitive.

Second, when you're adding a comment to a thread, if you scroll down there is a preview pane of the recent posts. If you want to copy text from a previous post you can scroll down to that window to copy text to paste into your reply. What order is that in? The newest post is on top. Why? Again, it makes sense to me and it's certainly easier to use than putting the newest post at the bottom and people scroll down - down - down until they get to the text that they wanted to include in their comment.

So, it just seems to me that the actual forum would use the same methods. I guess the "Why?" question is best answered with "because it's easier to use."
Triple 40 Poster

Re: Town Crier Post Order

Postby madmax » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:18 am

[quote="Clink":19bxhmq5]TPosted: Jun 02, 2006 - 12:48 PM Post subject: Town Crier Post Order

hough there is actually less functionality available with the Newest Post on top, I will go with the popular opinion. Voting closes in 4 days.

Post comments on reasons why you would persuade your fellow board members which way you would want it.[/quote:19bxhmq5]

Current Date - 6/9/06

Has it been 4 days yet?
madmax
Double 40 Poster

Re: Town Crier Post Order

Postby Autolycos » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:57 pm

[quote="madmax":1cd59l3v] Current Date - 6/9/06

Has it been 4 days yet?[/quote:1cd59l3v] :shock:

you seem to forget we are running on Clink time.. which means time is slowed down until he thinks of a sarcastic comment.. could take months! :twisted:

I would not suggest holding your breath though...

on second thought.. go ahead :twisted:
Autolycos

Next

Return to Web Site Suggestions