Aging suggestion

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

Aging suggestion

Postby Best » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:34 am

Let's make aging the way it was five years ago, dependent on MUD years passed since the character creation. This will make -age spell and youth potions useful again, and will overall improve the world's economics.
Best

Postby Alberich » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:49 am

so if you can only log in for a little bit every day, you get to spend the whole time splorking mobs for poy cps, or spend all your drach buying 'em at weaver? yeah... that sounds like alot of fun to me
Don't be stupid - we have politicians for that

Alberich

Postby Leaf » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:01 pm

I think he was saying it takes forever to age. It's hard for newer chars
to get mov points. Maybe if we rent we should age like 5yrs ago. However
at a slower rate then before. Now when we rent, we don't age. Which isn't
bad for storage chars, or ppl thats on breaks.... But it can go both ways...
Leaf

Postby Weasel » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:51 pm

Isn't there an aging potion or spell for that very reason? heh.. everyone complained about how it was set up before so the coders changed it.. now people want to change it back? Believe me, the way it is now is much better if you plan to stick around sloth for a while..
Weasel
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby 12345 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:24 pm

Enlightenment

I have found a way to enlighten the soul. To brew this special potion,
you will need a glowing crab shell, a glowing wolf tooth, a deer tail, a
hoof that glows, some fish scales, and essence of the ages. Bring these
components to the old woman on Thule who lives in the small shanty
on the beach and she will create this powerful potion for a small fee.

glowing wolf tooth: Ice Lich or Wolf (North)
glowing crab shell: Blue Crab (Ah Shore)
fish scales: Minnows (Ah Shore)
essence of the ages: Blind Man (Ah Shore)
deer tail: White Deer (Greek Forest)
glowing hoof: Mountain Goat (Firenewts)
5000 coins

I know the wolf is kinda tough. Other than that it doesn't seem too bad, cheap potion too.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby Qa » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:47 pm

Please do not change againg. Years ago it was way too quick. (I bet I have forged 25 EoYs and used/bought an number of PoYs.) At one point I was over 60 and my moves sucked. I really don't want to go back to having to run EoY/PoY mobs on a regular basis. The way it is currently, I can add EoY mobs to any exising runs and foge EoYs at a rate slightly faster than I age.

Aging happens at a good rate. A nice balance, imo. If you are in a hurry, that potion looks relatively easy for forge. (The wolves are even fun mobs since Tys put in the safe room.)

Qa
Qa
40 Prime Poster

Ideal Age?

Postby Qa » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:50 pm

Speaking of age, what is the ideal age?

It is my understanding that total moves is related to age. The ideal age being 30 or 32 for total moves.

I have also wondered if move regen is age related. (Being a caster, move regen is not something I have bothered to pay attention to.) So what is the idea age for move regen? Or am I totally wrong and move regen is independent of age?

Qa
Qa
40 Prime Poster

Postby Weasel » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:48 pm

I thinki t just effects the max mvs. Yeah, the ideal age for max mvs is low 30's, around 32 as you said. I always wondered if age affects anything else tho, like concentration etc.. hmm
Weasel

Postby Choong » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:40 am

If I'm not mistaken, my mvs was max at 30. Anyway at the age of 40, you still have very playable mvs/ mv regen and don't really need eoy poy. its reaching the age of 80/90 that poy are really appreciated.

I've played an avatar char once that was 80+ years old. My job was to reduce its age down to 30. By 50+ years old it was quite ok relative to the initial 80+ :twisted:
Choong

Postby Avatar » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:22 am

It used to be quite rough if you were away for any amount of time. I have two characters that each hit over 100 years. Of course we used to do those fountain of youth quests so I'd try my hardest to find that fountain every time it was placed.
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Leaf » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:25 am

Those fountain was cool, I think they help restore like +30yrs of ur life...
Or something like that.
Leaf

Postby Calim » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:41 am

Don't change it back. I've been here a long time and taken several leaves that lasted many months. One of those leaves was in part due to the age of my character getting over the playable point with moves. I could not keep up in groups and had a late stat, low int, such that I could not refresh enough either. Of course, I came back, created Calim and have used one EoY to get him back to around 30.

Of a more fun note, I have access to a char, who due to some weird bug, was 423 years old. I forget which imm helped with that, but thanks again.
Calim

Postby kjartan » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:25 pm

I don't think there's any plans to change aging back to being based on wall-clock-time-since-character-creation. The current aging system with age affecting nothing but moves is kind of silly, which makes it a ripe target for change, but it's not something we are actively working on changing at the moment.
kjartan
Creator

Postby Weasel » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:32 pm

heh.. yeah, you go senile and forget half your spells, or say the wrong spell and instead of casting firewind at a mob, you web yourself.. heh
Weasel

Postby Toxis » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:41 pm

Funny idea, Weasel, everyone could be a Fizban. :)

Also, lower hp regen, and lower hp, you'd think. Lower constitution and dexterity for anyone over 50? But I'd also like to see higher intelligence and wisdom for chars who are old.

I'd like to see a balance of aging, for good and bad. Of course casters would want to be elderly and wise, and warriors would want to be young and strong. I'm not sure if it would be too much to add into the mud, but it was interesting thinking on the posibilities.
Toxis
Triple 40 Poster

Return to Mud Suggestions