Mob ordering

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

Mob ordering

Postby Terin » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:49 am

Would it be possible to change it so that when mobs enter a room, they are placed at the bottom of the list of mobs instead of the top?

It erks me when I'm fighting a mob, stun it, then go to kill it and end up fighting a fresh mob. It would seem to make more sense to have the current mob be on top so that when you type in kill <mobname> it attacks the one you've been fighting, no?
Terin

Postby Calim » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:20 pm

It irks everyone who has ever played the game :) I've never seen it asked in public before, so it'll be interesting to see if it gets the, its a feature of the game response or something else. I've always assumed it is a feature. :)
I hate signatures!
Calim

Postby Granty555 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:49 pm

I would guess they use the same Last-in, First-out system they use for items.

Think how annoying it would be if you put a ring in your robe and it immediately became 6.ring. Also, if you are chasing a mob and it flees into more of the same mob, do you really want it to be 4.zombie rather than 1.zombie when you walk in?
Granty555

Postby 12345 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:51 pm

For items, it was like that for a while a long time ago. You took something out of a bag and for some reason it went to the bottom of your inventory. Was changed way back when because the players pretty much hated it. So, it most likely can be changed for mobs.

Dilema: I hate it when a mob walks in (ie. Blaster's temple) and the mob you're fighting becomes 2.mob. I would also hate to have to count how many mobs were in a room if I was chasing one around.

Perhaps a better answer would be if we had a way of identifying mobs that have you on your hated list. ie. cast 'fireball' last.servant (instead of 1.servant, 2.servant, etc.) and of the 5 mobs in the room, only 1 (usually) would have you on it's hated list and so you would attack that one.

Probably more trouble than it's worth when you can just look 1.mob 2.mob and attack that one that's hurt.

Postby Calim » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:52 pm

The thing is, sorting and reversing a list or inverting a stack is not that difficult to do in code. I'm pretty sure i've seen somewhere, sometime that its on purpose and most people have found ways to deal with those things.

Also, they just removed from lower level chars who might have a difficult time with this in say kobolds, where kill kobold almost never gets the one u want, the auto disengage on morted/lost conc.
I hate signatures!
Calim

Postby Terin » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:20 pm

I never thought about having to chase a mob. That does kinda make it difficult.

Maybe they could set it up to have a current target. That way you can target <mobname> ; kill target. Then there wouldnt be any confusion, and no having to look, count, and hope it doesnt die of bloodloss before you kill it.

Hmm.. Just a suggestion ^_^
Terin

Postby Strago » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:57 pm

The target idea implemented in the code is one heck of a nice idea. Everyone worth their salt has some kind of targetting script for use in groups, a similar idea implemented in the code to track a mob has a lot of potensial IMHO.
Strago

Postby kjartan » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:57 pm

What do you guys think about our adding a setting to keep killing a morted mob or not? We added it for newbies, we could also add it for everybody as an option. That would cut down on blood loss deaths, which are frankly kind of silly.
kjartan
Creator

Postby Deju » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:59 pm

i think it would be a great idea to make this a toggle-able setting.
Deju
Double 40 Poster

Postby 13 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:46 pm

MOb kill thing is cool, "fixing" the way mobs number in a room is not imho.
It's not a hard thing to get used to, and if accident happen because of it,
then it adds a little spice and keeps people on their toes.
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby blackmore » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:49 pm

Shifted newbie characters don't autokill mobs, which is awkward.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Alberich » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:03 pm

having something like autokill and ability to toggle it would be really cool - I'd like to see that
Don't be stupid - we have politicians for that

Alberich

Postby Terin » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:06 pm

[quote="*kjartan*":3py1eaq1]What do you guys think about our adding a setting to keep killing a morted mob or not? We added it for newbies, we could also add it for everybody as an option. That would cut down on blood loss deaths, which are frankly kind of silly.[/quote:3py1eaq1]

That would be great if we could turn it on and off. Please implement it ^_^
Terin

Postby kjartan » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:37 am

Ok, it will be in next reboot (should be about 4 hours from now). Using the suggestion of someone on this thread, it's called "autokill".
kjartan
Creator

Postby Calim » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:54 pm

Ok, how cool is this really? A simple discussion about a couple of issues in the game, and less then a day later, a feature is ingame. I know they just added it for some chars so making it avail. to all shouldn't have been hard, but still, I think we need to send some appreciation out to kj and the other imms. Thanks guys.
I hate signatures!
Calim

Next

Return to Mud Suggestions