Some spells suggestions.

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

Postby Mullah » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:06 am

I wish folks weren't so crafty, anonymity for weaks!

aa
Boognish Provides
Mullah

Re: New spells

Postby 12345 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:13 am

[quote="Gnu":1ik3rj8v]I think you forgot to suggest 'summon grenade' spell! And 'mass grenade summon' for avatars...[/quote:1ik3rj8v]

Heh, wasn't my idea, but it does have some merit. Losing conc on a level 5 spell is always annoying. It would be nice if lower level spells stepped up to 99% after a certain requirement. Whether that is +20 levels in the class, or reaching 40 in the class, or even reaching 40 in the next class. As far as bonuses, between spellbonus/healbonus and masterfuls, bonuses are pretty much covered. If you really wanted a bonus, perhaps an increased chance of a masterful would suffice.

Don't think I added anything too overpower in that :)

grenade?

Postby Ki » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:08 pm

I don't think a +20 bonus on heal is gernade power. The bonus attributed to the spell you choose to increase knowledge in would have to be proportional to the cost in exp and gold required for such schooling. Blasting spells should not be increased to do insane amounts of extra damage but an acceptable increase. I am not sure how much more potent a masterful cast really is on any spell, but I don't think you knowledge of the spell increases the amount of masterful casts. I have cast masterful on spells only known at 50%. It would give people yet another thing to spend time earning xp and coins for, besides just leveling.
Even those who choose to keep a valk character under level 21 could participate. This is not very different from max avatar ability to run xp and coin for improved stats. The key here also, is to make xp and coin costs increase with you level. If you choose to do this early in a characters levels, is should be cheaper as xp and coin are harder to run and higher at higher levels because bigger xp and coin is doable.
Ki

specialty spells

Postby Avatar » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:30 pm

If they do anything to allow a character to specialize spells / abilities past 95%, I hope they add some drastic limits. Maybe each character should only have 1 spell that they can specialize in to that extent.
Triple 40 Poster

cl

Postby Avatar » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:36 pm

How come I've never seen a masterful heal/gheal/restore? Cures even?
Triple 40 Poster

Postby blackmore » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:15 pm

There are 2 skills to improve concentration rates - and they're both avatar skills. Do we really think they'll make them 1x40 skills? I'm not saying it's impossible, since they did it before with ID for bards, but I'd consider it highly unlikely.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Mullah » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:43 am

firewind and heals do not have masterful versions that I have ever noticed.
rightly so I think. People cry about..oh I need more power..I'm gimped..
oh my pussy hurts me real bad..

quit puling..characters are so overpowered now it's not funny.
Boognish Provides
Mullah

Postby 12345 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:25 am

[quote="blackmore":qt10rr30]There are 2 skills to improve concentration rates - and they're both avatar skills. Do we really think they'll make them 1x40 skills?[/quote:qt10rr30]
Maybe. Mostly because we're not exactly talking the same thing. A skill to improve conc rates would presumably work for every spell in the game, up to and including level 30+ spells like restoration, firewind, etc. These are many of the more power-based spells. A level 40 mage isn't going to cast colour spray instead of firewind just because he has an extra 4% chance of not losing conc.

There are many low level spells that are commonly used that just seem silly to lose conc on. Create food/create water come to mind. Most are level 10 and below. There are some spells in this range that are commonly used, such as blindness, however, it's not like the player hasn't had sufficent practice in casting blindness by the time they get to level 40.

It would be reasonable for spells up to a certain level gain a percentage boost once you meet some requirement. I don't think it's overpowered to have low level spells with 99% and high level spells with 95%. There would still be utility in the avatar versions to boost things like restoration and firewind.

Postby Xandora » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:43 am

[quote="Mullah":1qdbi5im]quit puling..characters are so overpowered now it's not funny.[/quote:1qdbi5im]

Quite right Mullah. I think bard is the closest to what it used to be like.
There was a time on Sloth when a 2x40 25+ wa/cl/ma could barely kill a 1mil mob, and when they did, it was something to brag about. Your power was based on when you could solo that 1mil mob.
Now-a-days, a 1mil solo is not that hard. I see some 1x40's getting 1mil kills like candy on Halloween.
Some people have some nice ideas to enhance gameplay, however, some people seem to be saying: "My classo cant do this or that, I should be able to do it." Choose a classo that can then :)

Of the new classes, Bard is the closest to the old school classes (the way it used to be). There is more variety, and versilility now than there has ever been, and people solo things that just a little over a year ago would never have been possible (at equivalent levels). Some things need to be altered and tweaked, yes, but from an overall perspective... consider yourself lucky, I would say, because it wasnt too long ago that thief prime was strangled within an inch of its life because it out classed every other class on the mud, and even then thief wasn't nearly as powerful as some classes are today.

Flame away >:)
Xandora

Postby 12345 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:55 am

Characters are very overpowered. It's likely to stay that way until AC is fixed. It can't get any lower without reworking half the mud. It can't get any higher without nerfing almost everyone but the druids and warriors.

Unless they come up with some kind of classo determined AC cap, it's likely to stay that way.

Postby 12345 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:25 am

For example:

3 categories: Warrior, Armor (Bard/Cleric/Thief/Monk), No-Armor (Mage/Necro/Druid)

Warrior/Armor = -11
Warrior/No-Armor = -10

Armor/Warrior = -10
Armor/Armor = -9
Armor/No-Armor = -8

No-Armor/Warrior = -9
No-Armor/Armor = -8
No-Armor/No-Armor = -7

Simple chart... far from perfect, but it might perhaps help even things out a touch.

Flames?

Postby blackmore » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:39 pm

I don't think this would ever work. First of all, people put a large amount of time and effort into their eq sets, and telling them something they spent 3 months forging is no longer useful would not go over well.

Second, bmore currently runs at -10ac, 892hps, 539 mana. Forcing him to run at an extra 1.0ac would probably increase his power once I got a new eq set built, because of all the added bonuses he could get with a different eq set.

I'm not opposed to a system where everyone doesn't run around like a tank, but I think we've gone too far down that road to turn back now.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Mullah » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:55 pm

pretty much, parry is the only thing that makes a warrior prime
the best tank right now. counterattack is a moderately close second.

so mo/ba/ne/dr is our best combination of newschool classes for tanking right ?

rolls con/dex

has counterattack

has rescue

has some mediocre amount of hp

why do none of the new classes roll str ?
Boognish Provides
Mullah

Postby 12345 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:36 pm

[quote="blackmore":18tb3w21]Second, bmore currently runs at -10ac, 892hps, 539 mana. Forcing him to run at an extra 1.0ac would probably increase his power once I got a new eq set built, because of all the added bonuses he could get with a different eq set.[/quote:18tb3w21]
[quote="Mullah":18tb3w21]pretty much, parry is the only thing that makes a warrior prime the best tank right now. counterattack is a moderately close second.[/quote:18tb3w21]
So we shouldn't do this because Warriors would become more useful tanks and Blackmore would become more powerful?

Not the arguments I was expecting. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Mud Suggestions