Save state of loaded EQ to save it through crashes/reboots

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

Re: Save state of loaded EQ to save it through crashes/reboo

Postby *Splork* » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:56 pm

The last code used value of item and other flags to exclude saved items.

Hundreds to thousands of items can be loaded at any given time. There is no sense in saving(and loading) small treasures and junk items....
*Splork*
Site Admin

Postby Teron » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:59 am

1. I'm not sure, if I was clear.

I meant held/worn items on mobs, larger than 1mil.

It shouldn't be a whole lot, and, like Gorka said, we are not killing the entire MUD. We are killing mostly same mobs - the issue is for items to stay long enough until we go back and kill them.

2. Some good items have low item value, and relative junk has high value, so it's better to go by item type.

3. I'd just start with some settings, go from there and see, if you can add/remove filters without eating tons of memory.

4. Both issues of not getting an item on repop and having tons of items loaded can be solved by loading items on death. What is your opinion on this?

The only exception I see is personal quest items, because we need to know, whether it loaded beforehand, so the looters are off/on - or there needs to be a separate load mechanism/message for personal items, so they are not looted immediately.
Teron

Postby Gorka » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:28 am

It's difficult to determine an item's true value these days by defining conditions based on object attributes.

A lot of cp's have almost no object value, a lot of what is worn is junk. Even food items are used in some quests as well as spellbooks. It would be extremely difficult to set conditions on what reloads based on object attributes without applying rules unfairly.

You could avoid using object attributes and use a timestamp system like I suggested to stop scum settling in your reload file... or you could bite the bullet, and fix object values and types. You could kick the can down the road a bit and just watch for the scum in the bottom of the file while it's worked out.

Ideally object values need fixing, that's the purest solution... also the most work.

Regarding popping the items on death... solves a lot of problems I agree... but also I have some reservations... it's just so "sloth" that it works the way it does. It would be like a food company changing the recipe of an established product after 20 years... Even though it might be better... you just don't do that. Imagine Coca Cola dumping using sugar out of there regular product. They have been farting around with all these alternatives, but for all it's sugar, the original coke is something I doubt they can ever change or get rid of without massive upset... you don't change legends.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Postby *Splork* » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm not so sure I like the idea of changing how items are popped.

I think the new code will solve the majority of issues and concerns which have been raised.
*Splork*
Site Admin

Postby *teker* » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm hoping that once we get the code in place I can analyze a sample file and try to build rules based on the data. I'll know a lot more once I can look at a real sample. I've had an issue pointed out that I hadn't known about, so I'm still working on making the save function function work properly in all cases.

We can currently pop items on death using procs - the prisoner in Castle Zodiac is an example that pops some items normally and atleast one via proc. One disadvantage of doing this for all mobs is that Wealth and Glory would have to be rewritten as it doesn't know how to handle proc pops (like Maleficent). Currently all data for pops is stored on the room in which the pop happens - that would also have to change so that the mob can pop the appropriate items after roaming. It's a little tricky since we can pop multiple identical mobs in the same room but pop different items on them.
*teker*
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Teron » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:09 am

The amount of totally useless worn items is minimal, afaik, since they don't all load at once.
There are several ways to filter, but I imagine all ways to filter have to be factored in, not just one or the other.

Items loading on mobs rather than on death is not Sloth, it's just all or most of the early MUDs, because that was the only way to do it, as far as I know.

The lazy, slothy way would've been to actually load items on death, so we kill mob once to have a chance to pop and get the item, and carry on.
Teron

Postby Teron » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:51 am

07/20
Scheduled reboot

a swirling ball of fire
a heavy iron safe
a backgammon board
a book of conflagration
about 13 scimitars, 6 swords, 1 pair of ant mandibles, a few macus.
Teron

Postby Teron » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:47 am

21th Oct, crash, 4-5 day uptime

Lost:
a swirling ball of fire on Lucifer
a gaudy hat on Prince Osama
about 13 choppers in my Lyme vault, about same amount in Dragonsworn vault

which is to say, how's progress on this feature development?

Thanks.
Teron

Postby Teron » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:03 am

20 scimitars in my vault, at least 5-10 choppers in Dragonsworn vault.
cps from the Cloud Giant fortress on the ground.
Teron

Postby *teker* » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:43 pm

I've enabled my solution for this in the next reboot. However, my solution is to the original "problem" which was mobs popping items and then losing them during the reboot. It is not a "persist items on the ground or in vaults" solution.

That means that the choppers on the ground are going to go away at reboot. It also means that mobs that normally pop choppers and are carrying one at the reboot are likely to repop with one after the reboot.
*teker*
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Gorka » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Will mobs that are down (killed) at the time of a reboot still have no chance to load when the game reboots?

If the reboot is scheduled, will we be able to dump all the choppers on a mob and have them reappear after reboot?
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Postby *teker* » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:19 am

1) Yes. I think it'll remain this way until the higher ups are confident that people can't intentionally crash the game to get hard mobs to repop item. Or unless we figure out a way to track how long the game was up before the last crash/reboot and do something based on that.

2) No.
*teker*
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Gorka » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:31 am

On point 1, the player still has to kill the mob in the first place to give it a chance to pop on reboot/crash anyway. I don't see the advantage of crashing the game.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Postby Gorka » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Today I killed an empty chop mob 30 times, only to have to kill another empty after a reboot because my mob was down at the time of reboot. Can something be done about this? I risk my neck to solo a chop mob and run DoT solo, and to have to kill empties after a reboot because mobs were down is extremely frustrating.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Postby *teker* » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:53 pm

Ok, so now I've got code that will log each time the mud boots to the database so I can tell how long it's been since the last boot. Basically a way to tell if the game has been up a while or if it crashed/rebooted recently. So now I can do one of two things:
1) Allow mobs to pop equipment normally at boot if the game has been running for a significant amount of time. I imagine 23hrs is a decent check there.

OR

2) Continue saving the equipment at shutdown (if a normal shutdown or the game hasn't crashed too badly) and try repopping equipment from that list at reboot.

So what should it be?
*teker*
Triple 40 Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Mud Suggestions