Ideas to encourage groups

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

Re: Ideas to encourage groups

Postby zenoko » Wed May 04, 2016 1:26 am

just an ideal you could introduce group quests (its very common on valk to group for grandmaster thug)
so my ideal is make a daily/weekly quest for people in a group and offer currency/gems/items/etc

the ideal of the group quest would be to make it long (not just a pop an item) it could be like killing a certain amount of a enemy type or a list of mobs etc
zenoko

Postby Yasik » Wed May 04, 2016 10:47 am

The Grandmaster Thug quest is solo, we just need to be prepared, otherwise its quite hard.

Regarding the main topic,

At first, let us not forget that this thread started by person who cant solo, so he want to complain trying to make imms to change the game as he likes so he could achieve 9x40 in a week and retire (which is not the worst idea - his retirement);

At second, even if we agree that there is a problem that people do not really want to group with themselves, then a solution can be as I said : implementing "leadership points" (LP) along with exp/honor/drachma points, removing leader exp bonus, make a store with goods can be bought for LP:

- godsanc potion (duration 40 min) : 100 LP;
- adamantium skin potion (duration 40 min, -4.0AC) : 100 LP;
- full HP restore potion (heals to max) : 100 LP;
- (your idea here);

"LP goods" can be designed to not give too much overpower, just a slight increase over what we already can get.
LP price can be adjusted to acceptable rate along with LP earn per kill.
Only leader gets LP for kill.
LP per kill depends on size of mob and size of group.
A "group" is considered a company of 5 or more.

Just a sketch, can be discussed more or declined.

Only way to herd people into group - by making them **want** to group, abusing their personal motives in pursuit to make their characters more powerful.
Yasik

Postby Teron » Wed May 04, 2016 12:34 pm

Zenoko, that's a good idea.

Yasik,
1. How does removing exp/gold leadership bonus incentivize leaders to lead?

The potions you listed aren't useful to leaders, to tanks - maybe. But even then, some tanks already have godsanc or use goblets/potions, so replacing leadership bonus for this is a waste of exp.

You said:
Only way to herd people into group - by making them **want** to group, abusing their personal motives in pursuit to make their characters more powerful.

The leadership exp I get is my own, I use it to make my character more powerful.

The potions you suggested will not significantly increase the exp (not by a factor of 20%) and likely hp/mana restore potions will be given away to tanks and healers.

Again, how does this affect personal leaders' motives?

Right now, you are saying, to motivate leaders, let's take away leadership exp and gold and split the benefits among the group. Why not make tanks spend their own points on their own potions?

2. There already are ways to prolong runs, but people don't stay focused for longer, than 10-15 minutes. There are plenty of reasons to go afk that may arise. Working on making groups run longer may be fruitless, unless we accept that people can afk, while doing exp.

Overall, I like an idea for a leadership/tank shop, but perhaps introducing another currency is too much. Add honor to leadership/tank bonus and create a shop to buy eq/stuff for honor for everyone. That may work more effectively.

P.S. Yasik, you personally insulted a player, who got 3 characters to 9x40, whereas you haven't done it once. What's more, Cyprimus has soloed most of his way there. Even if you take Cyprimus, who seemed to tank groups a lot, you'll see that he did almost exactly 50% exp solo:
http://www.slothmud.org/wp/live-info/pl ... c=Cyprimus

As for Ip, who gripped a lot in my groups, that exp is about 20-30% of his total exp, the rest he soloed.

So please keep your finger-pointing to yourself, apologize to Cyprimus, and let's stick to the topic.
Teron

Reporting on a chop group

Postby Teron » Mon May 16, 2016 6:21 am

I've finally ran a chop group yesterday with the following results:
- the first hour was almost as good as offlyme exp
- the other hour was half of that, thanks to hitting more eq mobs, smaller mobs or waiting for ppl to figure out the archways
- after 4 hours, the exp I got was what I'd normally get for 2.5-3hrs of offlyme chop.

If chop leaders remember what mobs to hit for constantly changing group size and hit less eq, less Olympus and more exp, the exp can be slightly less or similar to offlyme exp, with the same caveat that mobs need to be killed only once for aged exp.

In 4 hours we didn't run out of exp mobs, popped 2 useful items, had fun chopping, so I guess it was a good run.

Group members can report how they liked the group, too.
Teron

Postby *juggleblood* » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:43 pm

We need a phone app with alerts related to grouping, i.e. group of size X is formed or leader Y has started a group or player Z has pinged me to join. I bet that would entice a lot of people into logging more frequently. I know it would work on me.
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Vegetable » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:42 pm

*juggleblood* wrote:We need a phone app with alerts related to grouping, i.e. group of size X is formed or leader Y has started a group or player Z has pinged me to join. I bet that would entice a lot of people into logging more frequently. I know it would work on me.

Brilliant idea. The phone app can be used to update players about upcoming quest/events as well :lol:
Vegetable

Postby Dandelo » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:53 pm

I would load it on my phone.

- Stilgar
Dandelo

Postby Teron » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:19 am

Way ahead of you people.

You can use a mobile app, the web version or a desktop client to stay in touch:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4629

For mobile, you need to download the Telegram app and join the Slothmud channel:
http://telegram.me/slothmud - or search for slothmud in any Telegram client.

Right now, it's mostly used for asking for raises and occasional group announcements. With more ppl there, I'd announce groups more often.

As for future groups, there's an announcement sticker there, as well as the determination to plan ahead.

As for planning far in advance, there's an idea of a 2-month schedule that'd include continent days, global bonuses, quest announcements, group announcements. I am yet to research this, have way too much on my plate atm.

I think it's more efficient to use an existing app, than create your own. It takes lots of effort to do one, especially, if you want to link the mud to it (ie, send announcements whenever a group is formed).

P.S. In a recent chop group of about 6-8 ppl, we managed to do good consistent exp for 2 hours. With more tri40s or avatars, it's possible to go for 3 hrs on aged mobs only (or stick to titans/oly, etc). It was pretty fun, especially with a chop counter.
Teron

Postby *juggleblood* » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:36 pm

Ok, I am using Telegram Slothmud Channel now, thanks for the tip. I encourage more people to do this by sending out chat msgs when they forming a group, or need a raise. It's pretty cool. I wonder if there's a way to have the game send out telegram msgs? That could be pretty awesome. If for example a chat message went out everytime the extras change, or even maybe if an epic dies.
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Teron » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:53 am

1. You/Breeze/Splork can create a SlothBot:
https://core.telegram.org/bots

basically, it can send messages and provide button interfaces to get more data out of the bot.

What the bot can do depends on what info you feed him, e.g., there's a stat bot in the chat room, and you can use it by pressing its button near the text field or by typing this command: /stat@comstatbot.

For instance, you can make buttons to show current who list, group list or even recent forum posts/threads.
Though I'd suggest to keep it really simple and brief, because overwhelming the UI/bot can be spammy and unusable.

2. Also, I suggested to Breeze/Splork to check out an MMORPG bot:
https://telegram.me/playrpgbot

(open the link or search for playrpgbot in any Telegram client: https://telegram.org/apps)

Basically, you can play a text game via buttons and links, without typing anything - though you can type commands and messages, if you want to.

The idea is that if we made another bot and ported a few areas (say, from Valk) with increasing level difficulty, this could show the Telegram people the world of Sloth and maybe invite them in, because MUD clients provide aliases and scripts, too. Especially, if we can port the saved bot characters to Sloth: even if we start them at 20/0/0/0, it'd help to bring over their invested time in here.

Or, I dunno, treat the bot as another web client and allow players explore the existing world of Sloth via its interface. To think of it, it'd provide a usable interface to play Sloth, while on a smartphone or tablet, when you don't have to type anything. Limiting, yes, but still able to kill the simplest stuff or group by using a few aliases.
Teron

Postby Teron » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:57 am

Yesterday we chopped for 2 hrs with 10-12 ppl, and when we moved to AH, we did 25% more exp.

So I'd say lyme chop is alive, but only when ppl need to chop and it's impossible to kill larger areas offlyme.

Also, it seems the blazing sword of maul titans procs for 8% damage, not 16%.
Teron

Previous

Return to Mud Suggestions