Age and History.

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

Age and History.

Postby Dragoth » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:41 am

Right, I know this is a sore spot and I know mud needs this to encourage people to run different areas and explore and to avoid camping, but may I just suggest a few small things for consideration to make it more bearable for all us mortals?

The reason that i bring this is up is because there aren't really that many great exp areas on the mud that suit any particular character, nomatter how much you explore and try to run different areas you'll still end up with getting less and less exp with every kill, made even worse if the mobs you kill aren't unique.

Kill history also breeds another problem of high levels going to newbie areas and just wiping it out to clear the history - what is the purpose of this, does it make sense to anyone that I go and kill low level mobs so i can get full exp on my normal mobs ? If we had any sort of meaningful newbie population this would be a real nuisance for them.

My first suggestions is to add a level check to mobs in history so as to avoid high level people clearing newbie mobs. My second suggestion is to clear kill history every 12 hours on every character, this time is still enough to make people try and run different mobs and is also short enough to not be terribly bothered by it.
This configuration would also allow players to log in the morning before work, kill their favorite mobs and rent for the day ,then come back from work and clear them again without ever having to deal with any of this history nonsense; And more importantly I believe this would also encourage players with more time on their hands to play different characters.

Right, now to aged exp.
We all know those areas where everybody goes to first thing and some only log in once a day to do a run through those few areas, you can meet 3x40 people exping there, you can meet 9x40 people running there, this is another issue in itself, but i'd like to address the issue of aged exp. See, if you only log in to do a quick run through those favorite areas, you'd be terribly annoyed if someone has only just killed this zone like a few minutes ago, again it's lucky that we don't have that many players online for that to become a real issue, but i recon it is still one of those issues that immortals should try and fix.

My suggestion is to completely do away with aged exp, it is better to not have it at all, than to deal with frustrations of someone else clearing the mobs that were worth 50% more exp just a minute ago (before that bastard that you saw leaving just now killed em all), this is beyond annoying and it breeds antisociality..
Yes I understand that aged exp is a way to bring popular areas in line with less popular ones, but it is a shortcut that doesn't really work, has too many drawbacks and in essence, doesn't Kill History deal with the issue of people running the same good exp areas over and over again without trying anything else ?

If there is no bonus aged exp no-one would be annoyed at someone else for just killing the same mobs as he does, the exp history would kick in on the first player and he'd leave for another area and the second player can kill the same mobs once they repop for full exp and then leave for another area and everyone gets the exp they deserve and everyone is happy. And If the area is crap, no aged exp is going to save it anyway, the only way to fix this is to redesign it, there are plenty of those dead zones around i'm afraid, despite all the aged exp that's sitting there at this current moment.

Unless you want to breed unhappiness, competitiveness and hatefulness, please consider this. Thanks.
Dragoth
Triple 40 Poster

Re: Age and History.

Postby *Splork* » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:43 pm

I love aged exp. I feel like it does far more good than harm. Without a doubt it encourages players to explore, moves players around to different areas, and gets areas ran which otherwise would not. It also adds more experience to the game and helps players level quicker. Sounds pretty good to me.

The first implementation of aged exp was done well over a decade ago when our playerbase averaged 40-45 players online at a time. To the best of my knowledge, there were none of the issues you are speaking about now, and now we average about 14 players online a day.

I don't mind the first idea which is some sort of time limit on kill history but will have to see what everyone else says.

Splork
*Splork*
Site Admin

Postby cyprimus » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Time limit is a good idea. killing for a week on lyme and in groups and still have history in chasm with cy for example...
This means the weekenders likely just suffer for it.. the ppl with the least time and interest etc.. the ones mostly likely to give up.

Also, another thing that may help lowbies- giving the description of what history is... should it not be cleared whenever you level too?

just my half cent worth!
cyprimus
Double 40 Poster

Postby Dragoth » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:58 am

Slothers do not like to agree with anything, but if they didn't agree, there'd be a million responses by now about how this is a stupid idea and how i am a moron for even suggesting it (see Cyprimus topic below). So by any lack of response from the general populace we can conclude that this is a good idea on both accounts :idea:
Could we please implement this ?
Dragoth
Triple 40 Poster

Return to Mud Suggestions