Keep command

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

Keep command

Postby Jynx » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:04 pm

I don't know if this has been suggested but it would certainly be handy and pretty easy to code (nudge nudge Felix). How about a 'keep' command. Usage would be for example, 'keep dagger' and would return this to player: 'You decide to keep a blue glass dagger'. This would stop a char from inadvertently junking or selling an item by accident. If you tried to sell or junk it, you'd see something like: If you want to sell/junk a blue glass dagger, you must first 'unkeep' it.

So basically two commands, keep and unkeep....

My 02...
Jynx

Postby yoshimi » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:03 pm

or drop, i dropped a spellbook by accident the other day :(
yoshimi

Postby Thraxas » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:44 am

I'm in 2 minds about this one:

1. selling dropping or giving away stuff you want and need and really dont want to lose is just well to put it bluntly stupid, its hard to code against all forms of stupidy.

2. we all do stupid things ... I died a few times recently through my own stupidity and found no way to ask for help ... I asked for a change to reinclude the channel drop to mitigate against my stupidity ... this is really no different I guess.

If this got included I'd use it and probably at some point benefit from it, but in the list of burning issues I have this barely registers.

T
Thraxas
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Jynx » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:18 pm

I can see your point Thraxas, as far as stupidity and other issues go. I wasn't really thinking about stupidity so much as multiple key words and abbreviations. Suppose you had an ancient clay jar for your water vessel and somehow you got one of those nasty green oil filled jars in your inventory and without thinking because you're in a hurry or whatever you type: junk jar. . . Or maybe you were being careful and typed junk or drop something and multiple keywords are at fault.

P thieving was done away with because folks didn't want to risk their hard earned stuff to some irritating thief. While I don't agree with getting rid of it completely, I never considered those folks who got ripped off idiots; lazy maybe but not stupid ;) This is kinda the same thing, don't wanna lose something it took awhile to get.

As for other bigger issues in the mud, I am sure there are some and they need to be addressed. This was just a thought that occurred to me as I was wandering around checking stuff out and seeing what has changed.
Jynx

Postby angel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:39 am

if u keep junking stuff when ur not sure or in a hurry,its ur fault for being a noob.
stop hurrying n learn.
-sa-
angel
Double 40 Poster

Postby angel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:45 am

u can too use other means already available like sacks,robes containers etc
theres no need to junk items.

if u want a program to stop u from screwin up,use ur brains:)
-sa-
angel
Double 40 Poster

Postby Jynx » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:52 am

And your replies Angel are why people leave. You posted nothing constructive and apparently didn't even bother to read the previous posts. You post was to irk someone plain and simple.

The junk command is a useful command fyi. If you can't sell it or give it away, then junk it. It reduces the amount of crap on the mud substantially, meaning the mud is saving less crap on every autosave.

BTW it's also your fault if you're so stupid you remove your robe in an unsafe room and it gets stolen. But hey enough people didn't like that happening so it got removed.
Jynx

Postby Thraxas » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:01 pm

and let the flamefest and trolling begin ... oh it already did.

Amazing how a thread detailing someones well thought out suggestion for an improvement to the game has turned into a slanging match.

Personally I'm not impressed ... its not big and its not clever.

T
Thraxas
Triple 40 Poster

Postby jezer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:12 pm

My opinion...

I like the idea of being helped not to make stupid mistakes. MXP was nice for shops to stop buying the wrong item by accident... but then again when someone enters the room as your clicking it scrolls... unfortunate if your visiting the weaver... :shock: Had to make sure you weren't autoscrolling at the time for that one. I got into the habit of typing list <item name> but that's slow... maybe giving items a number is the easiest but silly looking suggestion to stop making mistakes.

As a software developer... I can see to implement this idea it would require a "new field" in the section storing the players items. I groan at such things... new fields equal new widespread crashing opportunities.

There is also another consideration... is the item kept, or is the item kept to the player? (ie, What happens if a kept item is given to another player?)

This would then lead onto other issues that would possibly cause problems...

keep black-crappie
eat black-crappie?

keep recall
recite recall splork?

There would develop cases where we want this command to do things differently depending on the item-type. Then they try and code for this and it can cause an effect like a tangled ball of twine.

If I got given this idea as a developer, I'd add it too my long term improvement list and forget about it. It's a positive idea, but it's to much effort for too little result.

I just bent my pocket knife the other day... wish I had "kept" it beforehand... you see sometimes life is just like this. :twisted:
"Don’t let me become the man that I say that I despise."
jezer
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Return to Mud Suggestions