More newbie (tri) tokens...

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

More newbie (tri) tokens...

Postby Absu » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:11 am

I really wish that it was easier to pop tri tokens. I've honestly killed something like 1500 mobs so far this week, and have popped maybe 10 tri tokens.
Absu

Postby Absu » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:43 pm

Grr... this is ridiculous... regen time, and here comes a newbie rant.

I REALLY appreicate that some people have been helping me by giving me tokens or telling me where one popped. Honestly, I really, REALLY appreciate it.

But...

The tokens are so rare that newbies have no chance of being able to afford them. Someone was just selling 4x tri tokens now, and a couple fake newbies with high level alts pushed the bidding up to 300k. Sure, that's peanuts to a high level player with a newbie account, but I can't justify spending half of my gold on 4 tokens that will probably amount to nothing.

I know I am whining or whatever, but I feel like this is a huge gameplay flaw. I can live with the rent system. I can deal with the pthieving. This reroll/token crap is honestly making me consider just quitting and playing something else. I actually like the idea behind collecting tokens to reroll your stats, but I HATE how friggin' time consuming it is for an actual newbie to get the tokens. Don't tell me to just go ahead and get hex tokens later. They are 10x more rare and probably 10x more annoying.

Some people will argue that I should just take "playable" stats. Why would someone want to accept average stats on a character that they could spend years of play on? I have rolled at least 50 times now (and probably took 20 hours of play to get those tokens) and have not had a single satisfactory roll. I think I had 2-3 rolls over 70 stats total. Only one roll was 2x18, and the other stats were ~10. I was really considering just taking that since I was so annoyed, but everyone told me not to and someone told me that I would regret it later. All I want is 18 in my 2 primary stats and a decent total (honestly, anything above 70 would be fine to me).

I mean, I would be happy if there was just some reliable way to get the tokens rather than slaughtering endless monsters hoping that you will get one. I've been running all the areas that people suggested. Multiple people have told me the same areas, so I assume they are legit. I am lucky to get 1 token per hour. Right now my kill count is at 2654 npcs. I don't think I've popped over 25 tokens.

Yes, yes, I know Sloth has been using the token system since dinosaurs walked the earth and whatever, but please at least consider upping the availability of the tokens. Even if there was some replayable quest that takes 20 minutes but guarantees you a tri token would be awesome.

I'm sure people agree with me, and I don't mean people that have 100 million gold on their character and outbid real newbies on tokens.
Absu

Postby Autolycos » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:24 pm

to be fair, there are endless varieties now.. there used to only be tri's and hexs. now there are octs and single sided dies to use.

just so you will relax, there was a time a few years back before octs and singles.. that a tri would sell from 100k-250k and a hex could go near 400k. back in 1998 i would sell hexs for 500k each.

complaining about prices means nothing. its all supply and demand irrigardless what bigger char or how much coins you have or are willing to part with. even if its your last 100k or you have 200mil banked. if you want that item, you'll fight for it.
Autolycos
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Weasel » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:50 pm

I agree it's very frustrating, but once you've got your stats then you're done with it forever.. or until you make a new char.

To give you some idea, Weasel took over 500 hex tokens to get good stats - I had token runs aliased and for over a month that is all I did all day every day - run tokens. Getting stats that you'll keep forever within 50 rolls is expecting a lot, although it does happen of course. ..although your issue is more with getting the tokens in the first place, and you are not alone there.

I guess if it was easy, people would keep rolling all the time until they got awesome stats, and that would mean a lot of the eq ingame would become obsolete, thus the idea is to work your eq around your stats, which is yet another challenging dynamic to SlothMUD, a dynamic that would cease to exist if rolling good stats was easy (or popping the tokens too easily).

Perhaps coders good think about having Valk-only tokens with a higher poprate? or at least review the current pop rates there.. seems to be a lot of newbies around lately eating tokens - haven't been able to get use of the Holy Sword for days hehe..
Weasel

rolls

Postby Avatar » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:57 pm

The availability of rerolls has fluctuated over the years. It could be that they are more rare now than in the past. If so, the imms may decide to increase the rate a little. If that happens, though, the change will likely be in the fractions, not in 2x or 3x the tokens. It will be a minor difference.

Speaking with a few years experience, I can tell you that I have a few different characters at a few different levels and a few different class orders and widely different stats. What it comes down to, having better stats doesn't mean I have more fun playing a character. A few of mine have good stats, yes, but those tend to be the characters I play the least.

Rolling good stats can be frustrating. For years, we have called this phase "reroll hell". I like it less than most, to the point where I'd rather play with worse stats than spend the months trying to get the stats you are aiming for. I've got a 40 avatar with 1x18, and his other stats aren't great either. He's still fun to play. Especially for casters, stats don't mean a great deal. The difference between 17 int and 18 int is 15 mana. Sure, that feels like a lot when you only have 200 mana, but as you grow towards 600-700 mana, 15 is a much smaller difference. Is that difference worth collecting 100 rerolls? 200? Spending 1 month rerolling? 2 months? Those answers vary for everyone. For me, it's not worth the frustration you are dealing with, so I don't do it.

I think this is one reason the imms will not adjust the way rerolls work. The frustration you are feeling you inflict upon yourself. If god stats were easy to get, everyone would do it. That's not the type of game sloth is.
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Absu » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:25 pm

I just collected up 10 tokens and rolled em up. I waited at least a minute between each roll...

The first 9 were horrible.

Str: 10 / 0, Int: 13, Wis: 12, Dex: 11, Con: 10
Str: 14 / 0, Int: 17, Wis: 16, Dex: 14, Con: 12
Str: 13 / 0, Int: 17, Wis: 16, Dex: 16, Con: 12
Str: 13 / 0, Int: 15, Wis: 15, Dex: 15, Con: 10
Str: 13 / 0, Int: 15, Wis: 15, Dex: 15, Con: 10
Str: 12 / 0, Int: 14, Wis: 14, Dex: 13, Con: 11
Str: 12 / 0, Int: 15, Wis: 14, Dex: 12, Con: 11
Str: 14 / 0, Int: 16, Wis: 16, Dex: 15, Con: 11
Str: 13 / 0, Int: 15, Wis: 15, Dex: 14, Con: 8

But then...

Str: 16 / 0, Int: 18, Wis: 17, Dex: 17, Con: 13

I think I am going to cry. I am finally done rolling!!! :lol:

I'm told that the -1 wis is -2mr. I'll live with it.

Also, I want to thank everyone that helped me out with gathering tokens. I don't want to name people because I'm sure I'll forget someone, but trust me, I REALLY appreciate it.

I still think that tokens are too rare, though. It was insanely annoying to roll my stats, although it was always like Christmas when I popped a token. :P I was mostly running areas where I could wipe out mobs fast and in piles with chain lightning or chromatic spray. At one point I went 2 hours without getting a token, then I popped 3 of them in 5 minutes.

I agree that not everyone should have god stats, but I wasn't even looking for god stats. I just wanted an above average roll. I know people are satisfied with average stats, and I respect that. I just thought that I may as well put the work in now and get good stats rather than wait until later to find hex tokens which may as well be a needle in a haystack.

Anyway, I'm glad to finally be done with rolling. Thanks again to everyone that helped me out with tokens.
Absu

Postby Absu » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:27 pm

BTW my classo is m/d/c/o.
Absu

Postby Rynquald » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:44 pm

Gratz :)
Nice dex, and the 17 wis won't be a problem once you get Insight anyway.
Be quiet or i'll stab you quiet -BM
Rynquald
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Weasel » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:18 pm

Gratz, those are good stats - basic rule of thumb is aim for at least 75, and if you get an 80+ as you just did, they're pretty much keepers for sure. You're right to try and get them while you're still able to use tri tokens too btw. Nice.
Weasel

Postby Roadrunr » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:55 pm

80, min. btw, I think I'm back down to 5 or 6 chars...and no one seemed to want the last char I had with 80 total that I was trying to give away...(14 18 18 15 17, ne prime)

gratz on the stats btw, that 17 dex is the most important stat you just got.
Roadrunr
Double 40 Poster

Postby Absu » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:13 am

Apparently the immortals just did a tri token rain.

This would have been handy...

...12 hours ago.

:lol:
Absu

Postby Agemo » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:26 pm

Tri tokens can pop randomly on, I think, any mob. Thus any area with a very short reset time and where you can kill a lot of mobs is good for random tri popping.

Some mobs are set to pop tri tokens. I have had good success at getting lots of tri tokens if I find the tri popping mobs and concentrate on cycling these mobs.

Many tri tokens get left on the ground if the mob was being run by a non-Valkyre. The spell 'locate object' is most useful in finding these tokens. If you find tri tokens on the ground via this spell, feel free to ask how to find these rooms.

If you set 'Need tokens' in your title, some players are kind enough to look out for tokens for you.

Check out the Tri Token section of the Crier for incomplete lists of tri token popping mobs. Many people also have lists. Ask me for my list.
Agemo

Postby *juggleblood* » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:04 am

They should decrease the pop rate on tri tokens so that newbs don't feel they're entitled to double 18's and so that they don't feel like they shouldn't level their char past twenty until they have killer stats.

18 16 . . . should be considered good.

Its not only because of the inflation.

Stop Whining.
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*

suggestion:)

Postby Gimlet » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:45 am

just an idea...

maybe we could make tokens also forgeable from items that pop randomly ingame...this would give ppl a chance to play per normal instead of sticking to cycling token mobs and getting frustrated, blah blah blah
Gimlet
Double 40 Poster

Postby Diazz_Dizazter » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:01 am

I dunno I went though rerolls at 400-600k each. Probably a good 500+,
since I stopped counting after 400. Had avatars and friends feeding me
tokens for days on end, besides running hex mobs all day. That doesnt
count the other 2 times I rerolled diazz prior to that time either. So all
in all, at least went though 1k tokens. Sad.

What was funny, is that Ming was notorious for moving hex/triangle poppers
every 6 months or so. That was soooo funny. Hex mobs changing due
to a mix up of mob load locations. Has that happened lately. If not, it
needs too.

Whats funny, is you dont need killer stats to play.

Sure if your a perfectionist who enjoys min/maxxing every movement
regen, max mana, ac point, damage reduction, damage roll, then yeah
you want the 80+ stat combos.

How exactly does strength figure into the value of the rolls anyway.

With 18.34 18 12 18 16 theres 64 pts without str or str.add. Is it 1 pt for
each 10 pts of strength.add rolled?

More people then drops of rain in a hurricane have complained about rolling
stats. I know I for sure the hell have. But, these same people will always
end up rolling stats and leveling up, or just moving on. The system is
designed this way. It really is just a matter of luck.

Yeah, triangle tokens can pop randomly, they do so in the most silly places.
Like how many noobs would know how to find a blood monk in the crypt,
or one of the lava miners in the infernite mines, or damned souls in hell.

My favorite is the single sided die that loads on the hierophant in tarot.

The number none....

When ya got nothing....you got nothing to loose...
Diazz_Dizazter
Double 40 Poster

Next

Return to Mud Suggestions