toggle light

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

toggle light

Postby Weasel » Mon May 22, 2006 7:14 pm

A long shot, but would it be possible to code so that we can toggle our light on/off without having to remove it and thus lose its effects as well?
ie: lightoff/lighton so can run thru dark areas, but not lose other properties of the light eq.. I mean hell, irl a flashlight doesn't need to be turned on to make it a formidible weapon in a pinch, does it.
:twisted:
Weasel
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby kjartan » Mon May 22, 2006 7:56 pm

One way to do this would be to make it a 'dark cloak' effect (if it isn't already - don't have the code handy to check).
kjartan
Creator

Postby Qa » Mon May 22, 2006 8:58 pm

Wow, KJ that would really rock.

(If it is in place and I didn't know, it's my own fault. I always thought dark cloak was a sanc thing.)

It seems that my character has always had a 'catch if running through an aggro area' flag on it. Heck, it even happenned again today - I got splorked for 850hp through -10 AC whilst sneaking. If dark cloak would solve this, I would use it much more frequently...

Thanks.

Qa
Qa
40 Prime Poster

Postby kjartan » Tue May 23, 2006 12:13 am

Ok, a little examination of the code shows me that there is already a spell for this, the necro spell darkness. So in the interest of not taking a necro spell and giving it to clerics, we aren't going to do this. Also no toggleable lights.
kjartan
Creator

Postby Weasel » Tue May 23, 2006 12:23 am

[quote="*kjartan*":2x8sv1eu]So in the interest of not taking a necro spell and giving it to clerics, we aren't going to do this. Also no toggleable lights.[/quote:2x8sv1eu]

Ok, give it to Warriors and Thieves then. :twisted:
Weasel

Postby Weasel » Tue May 23, 2006 12:27 am

..or how about 'extinguish light', but to relight it we have to buy matches or a burning coal or something like that to recharge it..

I'm just clutching at straws here, aren't I. :(
Weasel

Postby Weasel » Tue May 23, 2006 12:28 am

And I know some immorts liked my boomerang idea ages ago. Anyone ever given it another thought?
Weasel

Postby Rajil » Tue May 23, 2006 11:59 am

Silly non necros.... tsk tsk tsk
Rajil
40 Prime Poster

Postby Malison » Tue May 23, 2006 6:42 pm

in the interest of the game's pseudo-reality...
it seems most lights glow because they're magical, whereas the torch you begin the game with or lanterns glow because they're burning. it would be kind of ridiculous to try to turn off the magical glow except by magic <'darkness'>
and you don't really see many people running around holding torches
Malison
40 Prime Poster

Postby Vixn » Wed May 24, 2006 1:12 am

[quote="*kjartan*":3giv9rfi]Ok, a little examination of the code shows me that there is already a spell for this, the necro spell darkness. So in the interest of not taking a necro spell and giving it to clerics, we aren't going to do this. Also no toggleable lights.[/quote:3giv9rfi]

following this logic necro and cleric shouldn't be combined in one classo cause spells mix. And I don't believe Master Healer will learn someone who join The Dark Side. mabbe lite and heal won't affect evil person?
Vixn
Triple 40 Poster

Postby 12345 » Wed May 24, 2006 1:31 am

Ok, Weasel knew that asking this was setting himself up for disappointment, so this can die I think. If we follow the current logic, we'll give the dark cloak the darkness affect, and the familiar spell the ability to assume the form of the critter familiared and damn will strike as a firestorm on masterfuls...

So if we can stop while we can still tell one class from another, that'd be nice.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby kjartan » Wed May 24, 2006 1:23 pm

[quote="Vixn":1ggb4ddf][quote="*kjartan*":1ggb4ddf]Ok, a little examination of the code shows me that there is already a spell for this, the necro spell darkness. So in the interest of not taking a necro spell and giving it to clerics, we aren't going to do this. Also no toggleable lights.[/quote:1ggb4ddf]

following this logic necro and cleric shouldn't be combined in one classo cause spells mix. And I don't believe Master Healer will learn someone who join The Dark Side. mabbe lite and heal won't affect evil person?[/quote:1ggb4ddf]

My objection wasn't that a cleric can't cast a necro spell because it's evil - there are already abilities specifically targeted at evil clerics, like the evil supplication mobs - it was like 12345 said: in general we shouldn't give abilities of one class to another class. One of the nice things about Sloth is that you can have very different characters by picking different classos, and so I don't want to make the classes more similar.
kjartan
Creator

Postby Qa » Wed May 24, 2006 5:27 pm

Ok, KJ, try this:

How about a version of the pearl/dark symbol that is avatar resticted and toggleable? The pearl/dark symbol is essentially newbie EQ that most of us wear until 5x40 anyway.

I guess I would also ask that 5x40 light also be made toggleable then as well.

Qa
Qa
40 Prime Poster

Postby kjartan » Wed May 24, 2006 5:50 pm

Yeah, we could do something like that.

Or, if I (or one of you) could think of a good way of explaining it, a thief skill that lets you hide your light. Also I would need a good name for the skill. It seems like the sort of thing a thief would be good at. It would need to be functionally distinct from the darkness spell, though - I don't want it to be darkness-spell-but-it's-a-skill. I don't know what else darkness is used for, if anything, other than hiding lights while still wearing the item: if it's not used for anything else, then never mind about the thief skill. (Could still do the item).
kjartan
Creator

Postby Alberich » Wed May 24, 2006 6:00 pm

av th restricted clasp would even work - common enough to put some sort of shade over a lamp to either direct or lessen the illumination (yes, this means you'd be removing your light from time to time, pthieves, wah wah) but really... a skill wouldn't be plausible... and my thief already has his hands full... what with stabber, poisons, the light, etc etc...
Don't be stupid - we have politicians for that

Alberich

Next

Return to Mud Suggestions