little annoying discoveries

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

should big aggro mobs be 'announced' by some alerting signs in nearby rooms?

Always
3%
Only those who can deal serious damage
29%
No, I eat aggro mobs at breakfast
13%
No, a good beat-up is the best teacher
55%

Total votes : 38

little annoying discoveries

Postby Taki » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:02 am

This is not a whining nor a critic, but I would like to know others' opinions about the subject.

Examples:
The bear in grymlyns area slayed Taki when he was level 8. Two rounds. No time to react. But in the outer room, the description mentioned something about blood trails or scattered bones, so that could be enough to make him be a bit more weary. My opinion: dangerous but appropriate.

In Judge temple, a fat scribe beated Taki to a bloody pulp in one round at level 20. (350-ish hp and AC -6.0). No clue of the danger in nearby rooms. The area is open to exploration: no gates or doors to open, no warnings around, and he is a fat scribe! Not a troll, warlock or whatever badf looking dude, a scribe. That was annoying... had to log in a druid alt for cr for no apparent reason. My opinion: what the heck? How should one know about that? Smells of a brutal trap for clueless nOObs...

The berserker: a wandering (?) mob who can ruin your day... But at least that hits not too strong, and gives you the time to react in the way that better suits you (flee-recall-blast it). My opinion: quite dangerous but avoidable and the adrenaline rush is enjoyable (if you come back alive).

How many others think that the kind of the fat scribe mobs should be put in more clearly indicated 'high risk' areas? Or at least should give a player the chance to react and flee?

Taki (growing some repulsion instinct vs fat scribes...) :twisted:
Patience and powerful strikes!
Taki
40 Prime Poster

Postby Zam » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:41 am

dont ya think , dear friend , that you're not experienced enuff to submit ALL that ideas? calm down
Zam
40 Prime Poster

Postby Taki » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:51 am

no, i don't i like to talk and don't like your attitude

:twisted:
Taki
40 Prime Poster

Postby 12345 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:56 am

[quote="Taki":2t5tq2hl]In Judge temple, a fat scribe beated Taki to a bloody pulp in one round at level 20. (350-ish hp and AC -6.0).[/quote:2t5tq2hl]
You can pretty much chalk this up as life in the real world. Once you're off the newbie continent, the game starts gets more serious. It helps to do a little research before you go into an area. For instance, if you look in the map room:

[quote="Map Room":2t5tq2hl]Judge's Temple 2n2es High Solo - High Group Judge[/quote:2t5tq2hl]
Level 20 is not high. The fat scribe you were fighting pops:

[quote="Equipment List":2t5tq2hl]Ornate Scroll Bag Fat Scribe Judge's Temple -0.0 299 Cont, +2 Ma Regen ST SW EM EC ENe EDr SMo SBa[OR][/quote:2t5tq2hl]
That's a lot of Supremes.

Exploring can be, and often is, dangerous. The most classic example is the bully clouds. You're wandering along happily in the clouds, walk into a room, one cloud dispels your fly, the other shoves you into a chasm. As a monk with featherfall, you wouldn't care much. Without it, you go instantly to negative hps.

When you're exploring a new area, it's best to look up the map in the map room. Checking the equipment list can give you an idea of a mob's difficulty. It also helps to be prepared. Water breath, fly, invisibility, detect invis, infravision, sense life, detect good, detect evil, resist fire, resist cold, recalls, sanc, stone skin, sneak, stalk and pretty much anything else you can think of are all good ideas.

It's a good idea at all levels until you get to know the area, because some areas are evil. I recently explored Nia's Temple thinking it was a safe newbie area. I walked into a room, fell into a water room, got attacked long enough to start drowning and pretty much just died after that. Silly me, I should have been more careful.

Happy hunting.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby Taki » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:29 am

Thanks for your reply, 12345 :)

I added a comment to the temple map, mentioning the aggro mob... I was just shocked by the instant death that caused to my character.

will try to be more cautious
Taki
40 Prime Poster

Postby firebrand » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:10 am

[quote="Taki":2gn6sown]no, i don't i like to talk and don't like your attitude

:twisted:[/quote:2gn6sown]

you just shot yourself in the proverbial foot, taki. we're trying to help you understand why things are the way they are. not everyone is going to be nice - some of us will simply tell you things straight up the way we see them. you have to take a step back and think your way around the situation. sometimes head on is NOT the best way to tackle the mobs. if you are an nc trying to fight a ca mob, yer gonna have a little difficulty, if not a LOT of trouble finishing some mobs unless you learn to see things from different points of view. and that includes talking and listening to those of us who have been here for years. believe it or not, most of us (present company not included) actually DO know what we are talking about. we have been right where you are and walked face first into disaster. [or as in the case of one blonde tank named firebrand, casting mass web at aged mind in poseidon's realm because she typoed mwb as mweb and you get the idea from there. not a pretty picture] anyways...STFU and actually LISTEN. you might learn something. use the tools that we provide for you: scan, look room/mob descriptions. go to the website, look up the maps in maproom and read the little stories that usually accompany the maps. those sometimes will give you an idea of whether or not you want to solo there - or just ask on gossip and/or newbie channel about an area you have never been to before. chances are, there is someone online who knows about that area. also carry recall scrolls (and recall potions for places like crystal falls). use ioun stones to mem spells, or trade bards for sidhe charms of spells you need. take a friend of diff classo with you to new area so that you can have spells and skills needed hopefully covered. get an icq/aim/yahoo msgr/msn msgr/trillian/instant messenger program of your choice and use that to ask for raises so you don't corpse out. this website itself has an instant messenger built in. while dead you can type who and gwho to see who is logged in, you can type where to see who is in area near you (and also to see what room name you are in) so you can icq someone with info needed to find you if you are off exploring. most of sloth is not as neatly packaged as vk. consider your dog. he's your family pet and is loving and playful. now suppose someone came into your home and that dog perceived the intruder as a threat. would your dog not try to defend his home and family from that intruder (meaning he becomes agg)? does your house have a sign or anything indicating that your family pet loves you and will protect you? no, not unless you have trained that dog to be a guard dog and have chosen to put signs up warning others of his nature. same goes for sloth. not all mobs carry a warning sign. and not all builders want people to be forewarned about a mob that they have designed nasty tricks into.
firebrand
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Taki » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:58 pm

See, Firebrand, Your answer and 12345's one are full of hints, tips, suggestions, and i am quite glad to 'listen' to them -actually read them- and learn from what you say.
You answered my questions and much more. Same as 12345.

Zam only made a comment on my inexperience and that i was talking too much. I am not even sure he/she read and understood my post.
Well, that is totally useless to me and to whoever else would read these posts, and the way he/she put it down was not of the kindest either - there is a common name for that kind of posts: trolling. So I just said i don't like his/her attitude. I would never do anything to offend someone i don't know, and i pretend nobody does that to me without reasons. Hope you understand my point.

T.
Taki
40 Prime Poster

Postby Krok » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:33 am

Taki, if you will take every little comment or word that much close to heart, you won't go far in this game. :) Not every person on mud should help you or listen to you. That will be too boring. Get used to it, years will pass and a lot of ppl will like or _dis_like you.

And yes, I think that when you went in area with High Solo restrictions - be ready to corpse, if you are not that high character. That's the only way to learn, everyone got beated somewhere when he/she was a newbie, because I understand that no one is interested in looking at maps/reading storylines a lot. Did I do the same? Sure not! :) But after 10, 50 or 100 deaths your reflexes will improve, your game experience will improve as well and you will realize that dying isn't _that_ bad, it just gives you idea on how to kill a mob.
From Russia with love.
Krok
Triple 40 Poster

Postby firebrand » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:31 pm

[quote="Taki":z5u256eo]See, Firebrand, Your answer and 12345's one are full of hints, tips, suggestions, and i am quite glad to 'listen' to them -actually read them- and learn from what you say.
You answered my questions and much more. Same as 12345.

Zam only made a comment on my inexperience and that i was talking too much. I am not even sure he/she read and understood my post.
Well, that is totally useless to me and to whoever else would read these posts, and the way he/she put it down was not of the kindest either - there is a common name for that kind of posts: trolling. So I just said i don't like his/her attitude. I would never do anything to offend someone i don't know, and i pretend nobody does that to me without reasons. Hope you understand my point.

T.[/quote:z5u256eo]

oh well, in that case i pull back the foot shot :) . zam just hates everybody equally *wickedgrin* you gotta take his comments and stride and you'll get along fine :)
Yeah bringing you another disturbing creation from the mind of one sick animal who can't tell the difference and gets stupified.
firebrand
Triple 40 Poster

Postby firebrand » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:32 pm

err comments IN stride - not AND stride *blush*

typomonster strikes again
Yeah bringing you another disturbing creation from the mind of one sick animal who can't tell the difference and gets stupified.
firebrand
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Calim » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:30 am

I always chalk it up as part of the learning experience of the game. Back when I was learning the game (sloth II), I was wandering around BH, I found a couple of mobs s and u from the mage trainer. No big deal, perfect for the levels I was. I went one more u, and there was a bottle lying on the ground. When I looked at it, it suggested that I open it. So, I did. Teleported directly to the Desert. Instant death. Learning experience :) .
Calim

Postby Granty555 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:48 am

I have 6 years playing a full PK-mud, where you can be killed by the opposition at any time, any place. There are also DT's (deathtrap rooms) which kill you instantly, although there's often a clue in the preceding room description (sure makes you read the rooms when you're exploring!!).

There is no "raise dead", and if a player kills you, he'll take all your eq. If you walk into a DT, your eq is lost for ever.

So if I get pasted by a Sloth mob I dont know, cant get a CR and lose a bit of xp? Well its a lot less painful than it could be :)
Granty555

Postby Weasel » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:02 am

Flailing at BH Inn is always a good one...
Weasel
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby firebrand » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:58 am

[quote="Calim":19q4hai0]I always chalk it up as part of the learning experience of the game. Back when I was learning the game (sloth II), I was wandering around BH, I found a couple of mobs s and u from the mage trainer. No big deal, perfect for the levels I was. I went one more u, and there was a bottle lying on the ground. When I looked at it, it suggested that I open it. So, I did. Teleported directly to the Desert. Instant death. Learning experience :) .[/quote:19q4hai0]

heh calim, i did that same thing on sloth 2 as well....yeah - instant death. was quite startling at first.
firebrand
Triple 40 Poster

Return to Mud Suggestions