Some minor newbie suggestions

Please post your ideas to improve our mud.

Some minor newbie suggestions

Postby cnl » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:46 pm

HI. some newbie suggestions

1) consolidate isnewbie and newbie mode.

Newbie mode is now off.

isnewbie
Is_newbie mode is now off.

I don't really know what the difference is other than isnewbie makes the hints go away - if they're both needed perhaps a rename to clarify the difference.

2) starting spellbooks in guild - suggest make them single time read

I've started several characters to try out the different classes. but then I spend half an hour or more reading spellbooks in the guilds after getting the first couple of levels. In part it takes so long because I start doing other things while waiting for it to complete.

The other spellbooks you can carry I don't mind, you can read them while doing regen, but perhaps the starting spellbooks could all be at least single reads. I ended up just watching a movie and sometimes typing read 2.spellbook. I tried to automate it via script and I'm sure folks have working scripts but the variety of names and messaging meant I just ended up typing it for the most part. I realize once I stick with a character this won't be an issue but coming in and not knowing which class you want to play this takes a lot of play time away up front.
cnl
40 Prime Poster

Re: Some minor newbie suggestions

Postby Insomnia » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:08 am

I think reading level 1-3 books straight to 95% is a really nice suggestion, should help newcomers a lot.
Insomnia
40 Prime Poster

Postby *Breeze* » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:20 am

Good ideas
*Breeze*

Postby *Idjit* » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:14 pm

We might have done better to refer to straight newbie mode as what it is, not a mode but a -channel-.
something like 'newbie channel turned off'
And then back-change the older channels to channel instead of 'mode' on their on off message as well e.g. gossip.
That's likely causing the conflation of concepts.
--D
*Idjit*
Double 40 Poster

Postby cnl » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:26 pm

Ah, I see. I was toggling the newbie channel on and off. Funny. I should have picked up on that but it was telling me I could get rid of the hints by turning off Newbie Mode and typing newbie was telling me it was changing "newbie mode". I do think the renaming you suggest would help because I was looking for ways to turn off "newbie mode" and so keyed in on that.
cnl
40 Prime Poster

Postby cnl » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:15 pm

Another idea : when you read a spellbook / guide / tome / pages etc - it could say what spell/skill you've learned.

Something like: You have learned the spell Reflection, or you are more confident in your knowledge of the spell Reflection or You have mastered the spell Reflection. etc.

I know there are other ways to find this out, like going to the EQ website, but I've read quite a few books and then spent time trying to figure out what I just learned. If it just straight out told me I could pull up the help file in-game.
cnl
40 Prime Poster

Postby Gorka » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:38 am

It's not quite what you are suggesting, but using the keyword "examine" spellbook/manual/etc is part of the solution.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Postby cnl » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:27 pm

yes -- that works exactly well. btw Gorka I've spent some time browsing these forums while learning stuff and you've put a lot of great information on here (as have a lot of others) - it really helps so thanks for the effort and also it helped my get more interested because there's a lot more complexity than is at first apparent and a lot of interesting mechanics to think about and poke at.

I'm not sure what thought process lead me to assume that examine spellbook only worked in the library - perhaps because that's where I saw it first it.

I suppose the challenge for trying to help Newbies is that with some things you can tell them the answer directly and it won't sink in the first time because there's just so much information and everything is confusing at first. I still think it would be good to auto show what is being read. maybe auto-call examine spellbook before it starts reading.
cnl
40 Prime Poster

Postby Gorka » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:48 am

cnl wrote:I'm not sure what thought process lead me to assume that examine spellbook only worked in the library - perhaps because that's where I saw it first it.

The main commands are listed under "commands list". Then you can have room triggers - like "pull chain" and then there are commands specific to mobs mostly regarding enchanting/forging and trading. It's not always easy to tell to what commands are applying to.

cnl wrote:lot of interesting mechanics

Yes, a lot of variety... some broken, some very complex, some shallow, some secretive, some very old, some new - it's like a large cheese sampler.

cnl wrote:you've put a lot of great information on here

From my point of view, it's good to have a new player posting with fresh perspectives. We tend to have an old and tired - "set in our ways" mindset around here. It's enjoyable to see someone going through that first thrill that we all had when we first started playing.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Return to Mud Suggestions