Use this forum for general discussions

Too much change?

Yes (too much)
17%
No
44%
No way - add 8 next week
32%
Darnit, I still can't find the glance manual! How can I find these?
7%

Total votes : 41

Too much Change?

Postby Qa » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:50 am

(from Splork)
"This week we have added sharpen, warcry, urban stealth, and now this (cover tracks). "

Now, Splorkie, before you kick my ass, please empathize. I have played sloth for several years. I support good change. I support conservative, slow changes.

Qa
Qa
40 Prime Poster

Postby Alberich » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:54 am

change is good, it keeps things interesting. for the "where can i find these" people - for almost all the new manuals that i've seen, if you put even the slightest effort into actually reading the helpfiles, and perhaps thinking about the bookname, it's really not too hard for the great majority of them - some (crippling strike is a good example) actually has the mobname in the helpfile! what more you want?
Don't be stupid - we have politicians for that

Alberich

Postby Weasel » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:13 am

T least it stops the shitfights that invariably occur when everyone is trying to pop the same manual at the same time.

..now I just gotta find the buggers...
:)
Weasel
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

'

Postby Choong » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:15 am

It really depends on which stage of sloth you are in. If you are actively playing 5-8 hrs per day. I think its not much changes at all. But if you are like me, logging in at most 1 hr per day and struggling to finish a forge which used to take me a week or so, I guess the changes maybe too much for you.

For me personally, I think its too much for the above reason. Guess I should retire then, so will someone build an area called the nursing home for retirees like me to run :D
Choong

Postby Autolycos » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:54 am

i think all the changes are exciting. confusing & annoying to search and learn yes. But it makes Sloth so much more fun. Other muds resemble more like a lunch menu in comparison. When i I came back after 2 years of retirement, there were 4 new classes, tons of new areas, and hundreds of new items. *which I still havent quite got the hang of* All i care is that alot of my old friends are still around, and i have made alot of new ones.

ALL YOUR PLAYERBASE ARE BELONG TO ME!! :twisted:
Autolycos
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Re: '

Postby Qa » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:13 am

[quote="Choong":n5y2kq9l]For me personally, I think its too much for the above reason. Guess I should retire then, so will someone build an area called the nursing home for retirees like me to run :D[/quote:n5y2kq9l]

Apparently the nursing home is what I need as well. Limit it to original class characters, and it will auto-recall you if you have been logged on for more than 1 hour per day, 8 per week, or 40 per month. Yeah!

Qa (aka 'Have you seen my dentures? I left them somewhere.')
Qa
40 Prime Poster

Postby Blastem » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:51 pm

I like change myself keeps me looking for ways to exploit I mean use the new skills and spells. But most of the newer skills are not going to be game breakers if you do not learn them so if you don't want to go book hunting just either sit back and run the mobs you've been running with the skills you've had, or if you want the skills pop the book or find someone to do it for you. The only thing thats worrying me is a lot of the new skills seem to me to be more usefull in PvP/Pthieving situations than in general game play could be just because I just havn't played with them enough yet.

Blastem
Blastem
40 Prime Poster

Postby Blaster » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:29 pm

I'm not one to get into rather the changes are good or not as I feel as long as the game isn't getting stale and keeps pushing to improve, the job of all immortals are being done and things are improving for the world.

My biggest concern is those that feel they are suffering from the change due to not having the time to get on and stay on like others do. In my opinion, changes like the ones we are doing really don't affect anyone unless they choose to let them. You can still play sloth just as you always had before without having to know all the new spells and skills.

The bottom line is, as long as you can get on, enjoy the time you have while you are on in one way or another, hang out with friends for a little while and feel good that you got to play a game you enjoy for even a short period of time per week or month, then that is a good thing.

The biggest thing is not to let changes frustrate you. No matter what, you can play as you are. No one forces you to change with the world, but instead we prefer you just find a way to have fun within the game instead of getting frustrated over not having each spell and skill.

Blaster
Blaster
Creator

Postby Toxis » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:25 am

I like the changes, but popping books is a freaking nightmare. I left for a year, and I can't even get one char 5% of the spells I'm missing. I've spent days trying to pop a book with no luck. I'm not the only one. I think someone needs to take a poll "Do you think popping spellbooks and manuals is too hard?". I'd love to play more characters, but trying to get books makes that impossible.

-Toxis
Toxis
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Malison » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:02 am

I like the changes as well. I like to have all of the spells/skills, but I still end up just using the same things as I did before. A lot of these things are really conditional, like hedge maze or sharpen. On the other hand, when something like supplication comes in, it's just really cool, and worth the trouble of finding the book (okay, bad example, the book is everywhere. New skills are working pretty well to even out the classes, too. You can actually find warrior primes that aren't on Lyme now.

On the other hand, that might just be the massive influx of newbies that don't know what the best classos are. *shrugs*
Malison
40 Prime Poster

Postby Mace » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:47 pm

The quantity of changes has been quite impressive for Sloth.

(aegised, 850 hp..)
> s
> d
Crypt of the Eternals
Exits: North
You sense a hidden life form in the room.
> wher
You are viciously massacred by the crypt guardian's bite.
No way! You are fighting for your life!
You are in Temple of Yuan-Ti. Also in this area are:
Name - Location
-----------------------------------------
Mace - Crypt of the Eternals
The crypt guardian hates your guts!
You pierce the crypt guardian extremely hard.
You are brutally massacred by the crypt guardian's bite.
You wish that your wounds would stop BLEEDING that much!
You have been KILLED!!
<-16hp 499ma 159mv>

However, the quality of changes has been lacking I would say. :)
Mace
40 Prime Poster

Postby Leaf » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:05 am

[quote="Mace":1xv46afo]The quantity of changes has been quite impressive for Sloth.

(aegised, 850 hp..)
> s
> d
Crypt of the Eternals
Exits: North
You sense a hidden life form in the room.
> wher
No way! You are fighting for your life!
You are in Temple of Yuan-Ti. Also in this area are:
Name - Location
-----------------------------------------
Mace - Crypt of the Eternals
The crypt guardian hates your guts!
You pierce the crypt guardian extremely hard.
You are brutally massacred by the crypt guardian's bite.
You wish that your wounds would stop BLEEDING that much!
You have been KILLED!!
<-16hp 499ma 159mv>

However, the quality of changes has been lacking I would say. :)[/quote:1xv46afo]

Doesn't seem u had ac-11, which was a change in the system. Now tanks
with ac-10 still gets 1 hell of a beat down!
Leaf

Postby 12345 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:21 am

[quote="Brute":3uz4ewyr]Between the liquor, the bed and the noise in my head
Between your mind and my crime
And me in the grime
Between the gun, the lead and the lies that I said
Through your sweet breath comes the dawn of my death

Touch me- hate me
Give yourself to me and break me

Cut these eyes
And I will see
Kiss these lying lips for me
Stroke this skin
And will kneel
Brutalize me
I will heal

Between the bullet and my lip
And the lies you let slip
Between the dirt of this soul
And your heart that's a hole
Between the place where you hit
And this face where you spit
Through your sweet breath comes the dawn of my death

[i:3uz4ewyr]-KMFDM[/i:3uz4ewyr][/quote:3uz4ewyr]

Dunno... getting beat down has certain advantages. :twisted:
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby blackmore » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:02 pm

I recently remembered a conversation I had with Blaster a year or two ago, when there were a number of changes being made that I thought were done too quickly and not being thought out well before being added to the game. Blaster's comment was, these people aren't getting paid to code, and they want to do things. Sloth had many years where the code was relatively stagnant because nobody wanted to code anything. Now that there's a lot of coders offering to write code, do you tell them no? You never know when the coders will go away again and sloth will have several years of very little being added. You can get caught up then.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Return to General Chat (Registered)