I know Jake/Splork/someone similar personally
6%
Happened across the website and got hooked
6%
Sloth? What is Sloth?
No votes

Total votes : 33

Postby 13 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:26 am

[quote:cod4awth]I remember turning to soultraders for a while after sloth went down, coz it was basically sloth2, until some moron took the code and destroyed the game, turning it into a player-less mud. [/quote:cod4awth]

You have to give Kelley some credit dude. He taught himself to program in
C with that old jacked up SlothII code, and has turned it into something that
is so far radically departed from ANYTHING I have seen on Sloth. As far as
I am concerned, Soulmud is ready for Graphics. That being said, I won't play
because
a: no playerbase and
b: i am far to lazy to learn about the 231386531286523496523497623496 new skills implemented. Sloth is my home on the internet I guess and
will continue to be while it is up and I have fingers.
Last edited by 13 on Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Re: some results

Postby Akasha2 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:49 am

[quote="Mirax"]Looks like "TMC/Mudconnect" have same effectiveness as "Happened across the website and got hooked".. Do we still need voting though?[/quote]

It may appear to be skewed like this Mirax, but a lot of new players have admited to learning about us through TMC and similiar voting systems. It only takes 1 new player who found us on TMC to tell 5 or his/her friends, and the Poll becomes strewed towards "A friend told me" as compared to learning about it on TMC. So 1 TMC source can lead to multiple word of mouth leads.

Not trying to change the thread here, just pointing out how important voting is even those this Poll might make it appear otherwise.

Akasha
Akasha2
Greater God

Postby 13 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:20 am

This is a whole new generation of tank and stabbers and grippers
beginning right now..

"I remember I started back in'05 on SlothIII right before it went down
and became SlothIV, I was playin a little ma dr ne ba and didnt know
I needed cleric to get by. I told all my buddies that I play xbox with..."

I can just see it now

Postby blackmore » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:06 am

To make a short story long...

Blackmore was my first ever character, on a tinymud, probably in early 89. In the summer of 90, some friends and I built our own muck, and so began Brigadoon. We set some loose rules regarding coding and building to bring people over. MUCKs had a coding language that anyone could use to build cool objects, assuming you gave them the coding bit, and we gave it to anyone who wanted it. A month or two later, during the course of about a week, the top 3 muds all shut down for various reasons, and everyone came to us. Eventually, having a minimum of 50 whiners on at a time at all times got to us, and we didn't really handle things very courteously, if we handled them at all. Eventually, we got sick of all the hassles, and I started hanging out in other places. It was during this time that I played around on an LP that some of my friends were running. That was the first time I tried a combat style mud.

I was net-less for a few years after graduating from college, and when I came back, I found the same group that I had hung out with on the old muds and mucks, and started mudding again. On a boring night one weekend, I was looking for a game to play, and a player named Satan (Plough) was playing on some diku (not sure if it was S2 or ST, but I suspect it was ST), so I logged in to see what it was like. I played some for a few weeks, then I died to some weresharks and couldn't find anyone to help, got frustrated and quit.

A few years later, I was bored again, and Plough was playing on S3 and suggested I try it. I don't really remember when that was, but I remember being annoyed that several days a week, I didn't get to play for very long because I went over to visit my gf - who I've been married to for over 4.5 years. I really wish I had logs of those early sessions, just to get an idea of when it was.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Malison » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:35 pm

I started playing in 2001ish, when I was introduced to Sloth by my two brothers, Chaos (Confusion, Prometheus, Zalasta, Dann) and Darktemplar (Surge, several others whose names i've forgotten). I started playing a Ele (wa cl ma th), had no idea about what was good eq or good strats, and didn't like groups. After about a year and a half I got bored when I realized I still hadn't passed 30 prime, so I took a break. A 2.5 year break.

I returned then because I realized that this was still a good game, just that I didn't know how best to play it. I also realized that I had done some stupid things with Ele, and wanted to start over. So, I created Malison, figuring a mage prime would be more active. Since then I've created Klein to see what valk was like (and how a thief plays), and Lumengrid (<1 week old, not much played) to be a tank when I get around to finding him good stats
Malison
40 Prime Poster

Postby Shadowbane » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:26 am

Well lemme see, I firdt started playing way back on SlothI, back when it was still run by Geddy, so that woulda been fall 1992 or spring 1993. Happened across Sloth III by looking for it on TMC just to see if it was still around 10 years later. That was a year and 1/2 ago and I'm just as hooked now as I was way back when.
Shadowbane

Postby biff » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:52 am

Ah, well if anyone is interested I played sloth I for quite a while and even finally got a SoJ the day before the wipe, being that I had played several muds up to immort or very high atleast only to have them disappear on me, I didn't wanna start on sloth again fearing another wipe... (what a long sentence!!) Anyway, I played sloth 2 after a year or so but the pthieving at that time was outta hand, totally ruined the game iho, so after being pthieved several times over a couple of monthes I had had enough... then a couple of years later and playing a couple sloth clone muds, I saw it on the mud list for zmud and checked it out, course I was instantly hooked again :) anyway been playing 3 for several years and got some cool punks to play here too, or atleast 1

Anyway my sad story revealed....

Biff
biff

Postby Autolycos » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:32 pm

bleh! I started back in 1997. after being retired multiple times :)
I finally just gave in to temptation.. *sincker* 7 years to 3x40 *cackle*

I have Plato to blame for my addiction...

CURSE YOU CHARLES!!!!

hehehe
:twisted:

Auto.. the splorkenator!
Autolycos

mud

Postby Avatar » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:59 pm

I started I believe fall of '92. I must have had a '386 with a slow modem in my room at Purdue, and other students nearby had laptops and faster computers. We used to hit the computer labs similar to other stories on here. We had a group of people that played including Tigris, Dodger, Palamon(?) and several others that I don't remember. After Sloth1 I never connected to Sloth2 until real late into it's life. I think I had maybe a 1x40 before the end. I started again when Sloth3 came up and I've fallen into a pattern that I guess is normal for me...play regularly for a few months then not connect at all for a few months.

Charles

PS. Oh I guess I should apologize for unleashing Auto on all of you.

:)
Triple 40 Poster

Previous

Return to General Chat (Registered)