noshout...

Use this forum for general discussions

How many times has your character been noshouted?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:07 pm

Once
29%
Twice
14%
Five - Ten
19%
11 or More
38%

Total votes : 21

noshout...

Postby Corwin » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:07 pm

im not going to name any names here, but i want everyone to know that today i was no shouted for saying on gossip "god damn". when i went through back channels to confront the immortal that handed down this punishment, i was told that god damn has always been a swear. i then asked about "oh, my god" etc, etc. i dont know what it is with some immortals here, but its almost like they don't want us to play here. for them its as simple a command as drink fountain, but to the player it can be such a pain in the ass. so much of a pain, it makes me consider why i play here at all. if it happened once a year or something it would be nothing, but this is getting out of hand. i can only see two solutions: we can give these lowbie immortals more commands than noshout, so they have something better todo than **** with mortals. its one thing to tease or taunt a mortal, its a whole other can of worms to hinder their game play cause they got nothing better todo. or we can remove the noshout command from them til they get promoted to i higher position. back in the day immortals did cool things for players, some examples: have a "manual" run quest, god sanc somebody, drop corrupt scrolls around town, march a huge monster into town, hand out cool types of food (sometimes related to the season), etc etc. maybe all these newbie immortals need is some direction, but what the mud needs is some consistency. if i tell someone to **** off or call something shit (not to be confused with i have to take a shit) yeah a noshout is in order. calling someone names or disrespecting a player base...you get the picture. but this bullshit with the noshouts has got to stop...god damn it!
Corwin

Postby Zeizel » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:22 pm

I was told yesterday (by another mortal, luckily) that apparently acronyms are also considered cursing? If the idea of banning curses on public channels is to keep from exposing those few players who have never heard them (which seems like the only valid reason to do so, imho), then those players will not know what the acronym stands for.

If I'd never been told what wtf stands for, I'd be just as likely to think it meant 'want to flame', 'want to find,' or some such thing, especially because of how often wtt, wtb, and wts are said on this MUD (not to mention that people _do_ put wtf <eq/cp/etc> in their title, *meaning* want to find).

And stfu? You can't tell me that doesn't look like a mis-typed 'stuff,' which context would easily explain as short-hand 'stuff it.'

Ultimately, with the boundaries being pushed in the media, I can't imagine that a single player has not heard curse-words before. If they've already heard them, what harm is done by a random player jokingly telling someone who jabbed an insult at them to stfu? Or expressing their exasperation at having re-rolled 400 times, and still not gotten decent stats, with a resounding wtf?

I think everyone who hates curse-words should see the Penn and Teller show on the topic.

Obviously, if someone's aggressively telling another player to "go f@ck yourself, you p!3c3 of s#!7!!!" they should be noshouted.
Zeizel

Postby Yasik » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:24 pm

Fully agreed.
I have been noshouted many times just for ordering my familiar gossip The Beatles' songs :)

My 'main char' noshout was removed long ago, and from that time i didnt said any thing that even near can be concidered as 'swearing'. Why so? No, its not me changed. Its -right- imm SOLVED the problem the way that i feel shame to be noshouted again after we talked.

Long live Enea! :]
Yasik

Postby blackmore » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:27 pm

Not to pass judgement on whether immorts get noshout happy, but God damn gets bleeped on American radio and TV. That to me is pretty much an indication that I shouldn't be saying it on gossip. I'm not trying to start a discussion on "how do those of us in <Name Country Here> know what American TV or radio considers acceptable". For all I care, the answer to that is trial and error.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Zeizel » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:47 pm

[quote="Yasik":2kvsioww]Its -right- imm SOLVED the problem the way that i feel shame to be noshouted again after we talked.[/quote:2kvsioww]

I'd be interested to know Enea's explanation of the rule. It may be that I'm flat-out wrong and there's a perfectly legitimate reason for the ban on cursing. If so, I'd like to know asap, so I can apologize ;-)
Zeizel

Postby Leaf » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:54 pm

Actually WTF and STFU have been used on the radio before. And I've used
the words @$$ or B@ST@RD on Gossip. However it also depends on which
immortals are on Sloth at the time. I've seen "**** and Shit", and nothing
happens to the ppl. Also F-ing A i've used also with Immorts on and nothing
happened to my chars. Then again I did lose lvls back to back hehe.
Leaf

Postby 12345 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:03 pm

Hmm...

Seems a warning could work as well as a noshout in some of these cases. Or have warnings gone out of style these days?

Postby Mosaix » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:26 pm

Hmm. They do noshout too much.

I agree with corwin.

And of all the comments here, I have to say f-you blackmore. Take your conservative goodie church bullshit and cram it up your ass. All full up on morals here. Enjoy being a "Wit" it fits you properly.

I can understand full out swear words, I can understand consistant banter on gossip. But a one time saying of "God Damn" can be solved with the tell command to the player.

Try this "tell corwin please dont use god damn on gossip, next time i see this i will need to noshout." I bet corwin doesnt use god damn on gossip again and problem solved and the player can continue to play the game.
Mosaix
Triple 40 Poster

Postby blackmore » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:19 pm

[quote="Mosaix":scgx2ou9]
And of all the comments here, I have to say f-you blackmore. Take your conservative goodie church bullshit and cram it up your ass. All full up on morals here. Enjoy being a "Wit" it fits you properly.
[/quote:scgx2ou9]

Mosaix, you're a ******* moron...but no, I won't say that on gossip. Anyone who knows me knows I'm neither conservative, nor a goodie, nor full-up morals. And recheck your definition of Wit, because a sense of humor has nothing to do with this thread.

I never said Corwin should have been noshouted, I'm replying to his post - no, I don't think it's accpetable on gossip, considering it isn't acceptable on tv or radio.

I said things they way I said them because I was trying to avoid morons starting flame wars, but if you want to start one, I've finished them before and if necessary, I'll finish this one.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Qa » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:29 pm

You should include a zero in your poll, there, Corwin. I am trying to remember if I have been noshouted. I am thinking no, but it may have happened once.

I was once warned for cursing on public channels. Since then, I have been able to censor myself. (At least on public channels.)

I would agree with Blackmore, but would modify the statement. Rather than TV, use language appropriate for speaking in public amoung your elders. The same way you would not curse around your boss or a professor, keep it off public channels.

By the same token, the mud has no rules against cursing in private. Many times have I cursed while conversing with other characters, the same way I would curse when discussing with friends.

Try to relax, Corwin - I am sure the noshout will wear off soon. And, really speaking, why is a noshout such a horrible thing? You can still tell, grouptell, chann talk and emote, can't you?

-Qa
Qa
40 Prime Poster

Postby Leaf » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:56 pm

[quote="Qa":2kjdt6tf]And, really speaking, why is a noshout such a horrible thing? You can still tell, grouptell, chann talk and emote, can't you?

-Qa[/quote:2kjdt6tf]

You can't Gossip for help, help for others, look for others, auction, & page.
This is all a big pain in the @$$ when trying to setup a group, look for eq,
etc... >: )-~
Leaf

Postby Weasel » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:09 pm

Damn is really a swear word? HAHAHA! Yeah ok fine. Radio stations and TV don't bleep out the word 'sh*t', yet they bleep out 'god damn'? What station is that hehe (no need to answer, I don't want to know). Anyway, best we go edit the mud for any occurrance of the word 'damn' in that case, and gawd knows there's a LOT of them.

No offense meant, but if words like that are going to earn a noshout, immorts should damn well make sure they noshout people who use worse language on gossip in future, because right now it looks uncomfortably like victimization if the same immort does not noshout someone saying other words considered by most to be far more to be swearing than 'god damn' is.

BTW, was it the word 'damn' by itself, or the pherase 'god damn' that caused the noshout? If the latter is the case, it would seem an abuse of immort position to impress personal religious beliefs on others who may not share those beliefs (ie: using God's name in vain).

Maybe we'll just put it down to political correctness? *vomit*

Reality check, what century are we living in? People old enough to play this game will probably know far more swear words than those who act as the moral watchdogs of the game. IF there are any who don't know, well hell, it's not really our responsibility to protect them from it, it's their parents responsibility, and if you have a clue you'll know you can't protect a kid from swearing unless you keep them locked in a closet 24/7 for their life. The things is to teach them it is wrong, not to pretend swearing doesn't exist - that's just ignorance. I agree with noshouting words like f*** etc, but the issue is inconsistancy, not to mention relativity - damn is not a swear word, sorry.

ok I'm done. :D
Last edited by Weasel on Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weasel
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Zeizel » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:15 pm

[quote="Zeizel":1czuw2w8]It may be that I'm flat-out wrong and there's a perfectly legitimate reason for the ban on cursing. If so, I'd like to know asap, so I can apologize ;-)[/quote:1czuw2w8]

After seeing part of an in-game discussion, I understand the reason for this rule is not so much to prevent the exposure, but rather show our younger players that cursing is wrong. Since this seems like a perfectly valid reason to me, I humbly apologize to Enea and the rest of the immortal staff.

:-D
Zeizel

Postby Leaf » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:54 pm

I would also like to shed in some light, on the fact that 2 Russian players
where swearing in Russian over gossip. When a Invis Immort said, Do not
swear over gossip no matter what language. This is when Corwin said,
Sell me some god damn tokens. I believe Corwin didn't see the warning at
first, because the invis immortal said "Anyone else?!" like a threat. Kinda
funny if u ask me.
Leaf

Postby Yasik » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:39 am

:)))))

Just been waiting for repops and kinda bored, trying to entertain myself by swearing using 'say' command, accidentally typed 'gos' instead :)))))

+1 noshout ! :)))
Yasik

Next

Return to General Chat (Registered)