Armor class cap

Use this forum for general discussions

Armor class cap

Postby Insomnia » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:19 pm

I've done some calculations, and theoretically, it should be possible to get -19ac. This makes the gap between warriors and other classes a bit... unbalanced? How about making the AC cap depend on the position of warrior in class order? Something like this:

Cap / wa in classo
* -20 wa prime
* -16 wa secondary
* -15 wa third
* -14 wa quad
* -13 wa fifth
* -12 wa sixth
* -11 wa seventh
* -10 wa eighth

Or something along this logic.

I am a mage/warrior, and warrior second gives literally nothing to me. I will most likely change my classo with rebirth, because pretty much every other class will bring more value to me. But if I could get to -15ac, it would most likely be way more interesting to play.
Insomnia
40 Prime Poster

Re: Armor class cap

Postby Ker » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:36 pm

Warrior is giving you a lot more than you can imagine.

But I agree, we need to bump up ac cap for non warrior primes. Think Josiah brought this up moons ago :-)

-20 to -10 is pretty whack though. .5ac down the order sounds fair.

M
Ker
Double 40 Poster

Postby Gorka » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:47 am

Care to show how -19 is possible? How much of that is potions? You should base your post on warrior MAX_AC without potions (which is currently -16) - but -15 is more intellectually honest, because -16 comes with too many disadvantages.

Although I also think the cap should be better for the other classes, I also suspect (but haven't proven) at some point having lower AC probably has limited returns... a bit like 30 +hit and 40 +hit show little difference. I also suspect that this would be mainly because most of the mobs on the mud were created for a day when -10 to -12 was the best - unless the mob was designed to always hit - but I have some doubt -19 would even negate that.

The difference between me running at -15 or -17 with a potion... is already negligible for most mobs. They were either already missing, or continue to hit in most cases. For instance I suspect that going from -11 to -12 is worth far more than going -15 to -16.

Although I know other classes can "over cap" -11 by a stupid amount... I also suspect at some point the sacrifice to loose something to gain ac would also have limited returns. For example, for Gorka to go to -16 without potion effects, from -15 would appear to sacrifice too many other important variables, so that although this move is possible - it's mostly a disadvantage.

So to summarize, although I agree with you... the functional difference between warriors and other classes is really -4, except in the case of Bards where it can be -3. Saying warriors have -19 isn't really an honest argument.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Postby Insomnia » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:22 am

Of course, this is "theoretically" – I just took all top AC items from the eqlist, including avatar light and army clasp, and added a goblet and six +maxdex potions on top.

I don't see why I should not count in the potions. In an armor class eqset, goblet+speed potions can give extra -4.5 or -5.0 to a warrior, vs. -0.0 for a mage. Which is exactly the point I'm trying to make.
Insomnia
40 Prime Poster

Return to General Chat (Registered)