Fortune

Use this forum for general discussions

Fortune

Postby Gorka » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:34 am

For as long as I can remember the spell "Fortune" has been indiscreet about what it actually does. For what reason is anyone's guess! Usually a player types score before they "Fortune" and then afterwards to find out what the difference was. Isn't it time the spell just informed the player what it did and by how much? How hard can it be? What's the point to the "secret squirrel" business when it can be worked out anyway. I simply can't be bothered comparing an increasing amount of score lines to see what the difference is... and so I don't.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Re: Fortune

Postby Teron » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:00 am

I agree, keeping the change secret - sometimes it's not seen in score - is a major point against buying the spell, which actually costs drachma to get. I've seen just 1 person buy the spell - and it was in s3.
Teron

Postby cnl » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:42 pm

I don't know if this was true at the time of this post - but can't you just read it now out of msdp?
Or do not all possible affects show up in msdp?

Lv source time pt modify
45 fortune 35 minutes +5 HITPOINT
cnl
40 Prime Poster

Postby Gorka » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:07 am

Not all effects of fortune show in MSDP, but most will. IIRC there is one that will just restore you - that's not going to show up... I think another gives you a disease... some diseases don't show on MSDP.

I don't recommend using this spell. I have a list of all the effects somewhere, and I divided them up into actually useful things and not so useful things. Basically the useful things is very small. Yes, +5hp is on the not useful list. I think the best thing you can gain from this spell was minor increase to damage and a full restore - but just not worth it.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Postby *Idjit* » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:46 pm

It's rumored that Fortune was there as a mascot for how lack of transparency was baked into the game's philosophy in earlier times, but there's an astounding lack of transparency about the details of that.
*Idjit*
Double 40 Poster

Return to General Chat (Registered)