Slothmud Mobile App

Use this forum for general discussions

Slothmud Mobile App

Postby Josiah » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:13 pm

What would be useful or cool in a slothmud phone app? Don't worry about how hard to code it might be.

I'll start with the easy ones, convenient access to the eqlist and maps.
Josiah
Double 40 Poster

Re: Slothmud Mobile App

Postby Teron » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:39 pm

1. This isn't popular for many, but it might be: a check of who is online and what the groups are.
If there's a group, I log in to join.
If there's no group, but lots of ppl, I log in to lead.
If neither, I don't log in.

I check this mostly on the weekend, but also during the US evening (cuz I've just woke up early and I can go to the browser on my smartphone to check the online instead of crawling out of my warm bed, and starting up a computer).

2. New posts on the forum.

3. Auction list

How having a map on a mobile phone is useful?

I've thought that a bot for Telegram could easily grab this piece of info from online and show it in the chat. You only need to write the bot, not the chat interface. Also because we already have 27 ppl in a chat on Telegram.

However, if you have time for a standalone app, more power to you.

Cheers.
Last edited by Teron on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teron

Postby Filk » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:17 pm

I also was thinking about telegram bot instead of mobile app. Its api is quite simple tbh.

I doubt eq list or maps worth doing tbh. Both are available at usual browser. And its way simpllier to just make few changes on these pages to make them adaptive :)

Special mobile mud client would be interesting on other hand. But i cant imaging how to make it playble even if sharp it for sloth only.
Fluffy
Filk
Double 40 Poster

Postby Josiah » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:42 am

Is there anything not currently available at slothmud.org that would be useful?

Would you like to be able to chat in game from your phone while logged out? That might be nicer than a third party chatroom that's incompatible with either of my phone numbers. It would definitely be a stretch goal though...
Josiah
Double 40 Poster

Postby Filk » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:58 am

There are several mobile mud clients around. Its posible to chat with any of them.
They are not just good to really play with them.

So only question is, would you like to have separate application only for chatting, that request you to always be ingame(and aging there). And you cant use it same time you playing.

Group alerts would be nice though. In any form, as telegram bot, or as separate site parsing application with push ups.

Quests anouncement thing, alternative to mail list (which you can only get if know about it, since no information around).

Notes about new posts on the forum would be usefull as well maybe. For someppl.

"i am dead" button sending push ups for everybody else with application running(and having special option "wanna hear cries" on)

Nothing of that would be really usefull on their own. But maybe in single application all such thing would be not bad to have.
Fluffy
Filk
Double 40 Poster

Postby Teron » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:36 am

1. Fluffy, search for playrpgbot on telegram and play around with it. There you can at least wander around and kill some mobs. While it's hard to swap eq there, it may still be possible to play with the limited commands and farm easy/gold mobs.

2. I've thought about the "I'm dead button" - it could also pull your area location from the dynamic map. Or, if you can pull info from the mud, area, room name and mob short descs in the room as well.

3. The idea of making the website responsive/adaptive is great, because, mostly, we'd use it if we could on mobile phones. The "I'm dead" button and alerts is precisely what the website lacks. And mass broadcast alerts in case of groups/quests, though websites now can mass-alert people too, if it is enabled.

4. WoW has a mobile app and it enables one to chat ingame in the guild. Here's how it works:
- you launch the app
- you appear online in your guild chat/friends list under Name (mobile_icon)
- you can chat with your guild, and ppl would see your messages
- if you login, your session is replaced with your desktop client (and you might still receive messages in your app, but I don't remember this)
- you can also buy stuff from auction or sell stuff from anywhere on your character (bags, banks = inv, robes, vaults)

All in all, it can be seamless, no need to age the character ingame.

I'd personally use the app to chat ingame and stuff, but my primary use of website via mobile is to check the online presence, as I've described earlier.

5. As for eq, in my chatting experience, I seldomly need to look up eq, while I'm in bed or in the mobile chat.

Perhaps, we need to identify use cases for what people actually need in a mobile app specifically. I've listed my priorities, an i'm dead button is good as well. I'd use the "raise the dead" button more, though.

Fluffy, "is available in the usual browser" is not a reason not to do it in mobile. The mobile app would be better integrated and usable on mobile, than the website. Unless it's responsive and is heavily integrated as the mobile app.

So:
- ingame chat
- i'm dead button
- mass group alerts
- check online + groups
- new forum posts
- auction
- eq
- map

what else might we need?
Teron

Postby *Breeze* » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:48 am

"which specials are on atm"
*Breeze*

Postby *juggleblood* » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:13 pm

Which raid mobs and epics are up.
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby *Breeze* » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:55 pm

*juggleblood* wrote:Which raid mobs and epics are up.

iirc that's already XML which he can parse out. I can tell him where to find it if he wants
*Breeze*

Return to General Chat (Registered)