Rebirths

Use this forum for general discussions

Re: Rebirths

Postby *teker* » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:27 pm

I read mudl docs you gave to me, they see really unfinished. Tytorials dropped on the middle. No actual info about procs or kvps, except little introduction. Some information probably hidden in help files that not available to mortals. Maybe thats wrong. Why not give some actual info to ppl who want to know how it works inside before they make application

I've started adding documentation to the wiki at:
http://www.slothmud.org/wiki/Category:Building

I haven't moved over any of the old MUDL documentation but there is documentation there for the new calling forms I have added (I refer to these as MUDL2). I believe there is full sample code on every page. I've also added documentation for the new procs I have written (mostly for rooms). There are immortal help files for how to set different values on rooms, mobiles, and objects but most of the documentation I have seen for the procs has been comments in the code itself. It wouldn't be too hard to add these to the wiki, just time consuming. I'm also happy to help with custom MUDL scripts.
*teker*
Triple 40 Poster

Postby norks » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:10 pm

Well I’m 9/10ths retired and a way off 9x40 anyway so my opinion might be invalid, but here it is nevertheless:

This is a good ideaIt's a great idea. But it should lead to exciting possibilities. Having access to all the prime abilities of one’s next class at each rebirth would be the way to go. Getting one skill/spell every (other?) rebirth or similar would be a lot of hard yaka for little gain. I’m sure some would do it but I think I would pass.

Is there really a danger of things becoming too unbalanced? Maybe. But that’s years away. In any case, fortune favours the brave. Go for it I say!

Norks
norks

Postby Josiah » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:26 pm

*Splork* wrote:I think the most balanced route would be to allow one prime skill every other rebirth while allowing bonuses every rebirth.

We already had people reach out to us to with what we gave Josiah. Add on top of that some of the proposals here and plenty of people are going to rebirth.

We are completely unsure of the rate people are going to rebirth but I firmly believe it is going to be much shorter than a year.

I think I'm currently on track to hit 9x40 again in about 6 months, if I don't burn out. I don't see myself keeping up a cycle of rebirthing every 6 months; I'm playing more than ever right now because everything is new and exciting. That feeling can't last forever.

I think every rebirth should be rewarding. A lot of people have already spoken up saying they wouldn't rebirth for a few flat bonuses. Let's make this a process everyone wants to participate in. I'm very much against an 'every other' rebirth strategy.

If you want to slow down runaway power, we could take a page from other systems and slow down leveling as we advance. Perhaps slowly remove the remort bonus xp as we players advance through the generations? Players would still expect and receive large power increases from each rebirth, but the cost would be increasingly expensive.
Josiah
Double 40 Poster

Postby Hung » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:22 pm

I semi support Filk's proposal. As prime skills are far from being equal. There are overpowered prime skills such second wind or shield of thorns. And there are balanced prime skills such as focus or dark mace. Finally there are useless skills such as knight's prayer.
So I think op skills could be given every other rebirth. Balanced - every rebirth. And useless skills could be given all at once.
Filk's point system is a perfect solution for that. However I'd set price of a op skill to 10 points(with 7 points given every rebirth).
Hung
Double 40 Poster

Postby Teron » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:41 pm

Imho, we need to:
- define what we think rebirths will impact
- measure it over time for each player
- see how things change every 3-6 months.

Basically track remorts and their:
- hours played per level per 40 (e.g., 30 hours per level at 1x40)
- exp per hours played per 40
- gold per hours played per 40
- compare their exp/hours*2 with their original character, and see how rebirth affected them after 4x40 (the diff at lower levels will be drastic because of initial lack of experience, eq, etc)

I bet it's possible to analyze logged statistics and show us the statistics, together with non-remorts, not only for comparison, but to see how added exp bonuses worked (we already know they did, but how well?).

Here are a few compelling cases on MUD analytics from the company that runs a number of commercial MUDs. While it'd be awesome to have a paid existing solution, like KISSmetrics, in the backend, I understand that we can afford only measuring smth ourselves. It'd still be awesome.

Josiah, you got it right that novelty will wear off and the reborn will slow down. I wonder if it'll be sufficient to stop the escalating growth. Dr burned out on Mage before 6x40. You seem to have taken a pause at similar levels. We know 6x40 is a tough place to continue leveling, maybe we need to see how fast remorts go before and after 6x40 before we make leveling harder for you and them?

Speaking of which, I can only name Curate and Ip as remorts that got past 6x40. Dingo and Kirei are close, but not there yet, and Kirei is considering playing Fluffy through rebirths. Who else is a remort that got past 6x40?

And yeah, I agree that rebirthing should be worthwhile and exciting. Rebirthing for a skill every other rebirth isn't.
Teron

Postby *Breeze* » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:20 pm

re: mudl
you dont learn mudl by reading wiki/docs. you need to try it. thats the only real way to get the feeling behind it.

re: rebirth shop
i havent decided what to put there yet. maybe i wont even do prime skills but reborn only skills. who knows. just depends on my time/motivation/imagination. nor have i really decided on reborn credits (temp name) per rebirth.

re: other stuff
tl;dr. need to make time to read complete thread again whenever i get more than 2 hours off per day from work/sleep cycle.
*Breeze*

Postby Josiah » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:17 am

For those who follow along on the crier but haven't been logging into the game, here is the helpfile for rebirth. Currently it is a very superior implementation of 'remort' character concept. A 9x40 can reset their levels and quests and get a lot of replay value out of the game having to make a new character. We currently have 3 rebirthed avatars, with more expected.

It falls short of the infinite progression / repeat-ability that was speculated on earlier in this thread, but it is still awesome and more fun than being stuck at 9x40 forever.

help rebirth
REBIRTH REBORN
There are 2 types of character rebirth.

Option 1:
levels reset to 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 (no reroll at 8x1) [easier option]

Option 2:
levels reset to 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 (with reroll at 8x1) [harder option. allows partial reclass]

Epic Army Rank/Honor is unchanged

Age is reset to 18

XP is reset to 0

Keep gold

Exploration is reset

Drachma is reset (so spend it wisely.. no reimbursements if you forget)

Quests are reset

Remort Bonuses enabled for the character

Retain Skills, Spells and learned..

Retain vaults and equipment
(equipment level restricts still apply)

(Reborn) tag before your name on the who list

Keep avatar light (option to recycle it to change stats will be added soon)

1/2 avatar bonuses.. that is,
for every 2 of something, 1 carries over until 9.40 at which point the full bonuses take effect again.

to reiterate - no refunds will be given on anything and rebirth is permanent.

this is what you get at the moment nothing more or less.

If you would like to be rebirthed please contact Breeze (until the rebirth proc is complete and tested)

Rebirths are manual so will be done as I get time to do them and
any unintended effects caused by rebirths are subject to change.
(meaning, for example, if you are a level 2 warrior casting firewind, we have a problem)
Josiah
Double 40 Poster

Postby Gorka » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:50 am

Good Deal! 8) Thanks Breeze.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Previous

Return to General Chat (Registered)