Changelog 2016-08-05 - skills / spells

Use this forum for general discussions

Changelog 2016-08-05 - skills / spells

Postby *teker* » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:29 am

I've added some logging so we can track how much damage everyone is doing with their skills. It'll help me to see what kind of damage the skills do to make tweaking easier. The following changes have been implemented:

Firestorm:
You shouldn't be able to use this spell to pkill anymore. I've completely rewritten the area-affect spell damage code so that you can still cast the spell if ungrouped players are in the room and it will start fights with the mobs but skip the players.

Chain lightning:
I moved this spell over to the new code also figuring that more people can test it than firestorm. Previously this spell would not cast if ungrouped players were in the room - now it just skips them. Once the new code has been thoroughly tested, I'll move all the area affect damage spells over to it.

Cry of the Avatar:
Flames at Midnight:
These songs should use the saves color now when appropriate.

Broadside:
Damage increases slowly with warrior and avatar levels. Weapon damage bonus counts now. Ether mobs can be hit if mist is up. Spiritual hammer doesn't work as it's not the right type of weapon for broadside. Max weight of target increases at warrior 40 and every 40 thereafter.

Flail:
I haven't changed the damage until I can see the log results. It looked like flail wasn't working to start fights when ungrouped players were in the room so I fixed that. You should also be able to hit ether mobs with hammer/mace or when mist is up.
*teker*
Triple 40 Poster

Re: Changelog 2016-08-05 - skills / spells

Postby Teron » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:44 am

Thanks. Testing atm.

What about riposte with the hammer or when mist is up?
Teron

Postby *teker* » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Looks to me like riposte works with mist up. Hammer isn't the right weapon type.
*teker*
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Gorka » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:03 pm

Thanks Teker, you're awesome!

I logged in to check the changes, but could not notice anything. The sad reality is I am now almost 5x40 - and not throughout lack of trying - but I have still been unable to secure even a single weapon dam item or rune even though my cap is now at 20.

I have 3/5 of one weapon dam rune.
100 drachma from my first weapon dam item.
An item or two from a weapon dam forge.

But currently I have been unable to even get one single point before nearly 5x40.

Hopefully before I reach 9x40 I will get my first piece of weapon damage. I'll enjoy 20 hand dam, an extra attack and strike till then.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Postby *teker* » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:37 pm

The early results show Gorka is getting about a 30% increase in damage. Some of the higher level warriors are seeing double to triple their original damage.
*teker*
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Teron » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:51 pm

My initial results tell me that my broadside damage went up from 40-80 to consistent 60-80.
For me, broadside does about 1.3-1.5 of attack damage.

Or is my delta-exp counter totally off the mark, and I'm actually dealing 200 damage with broadside?
Because for me, broadside does 1-2%, whereas 4 attacks deal 5-6% mobhp damage, so broadside isn't doing any damage worth talking about.

What conditions should be met, so I can deal the triple of my old damage?

Thanks.
Teron

Postby Gorka » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:22 pm

30%!!! :shock: 8)

It's difficult to tell there was an increase, as the game damage is not transparent. I used to 3-4%, and now I still 3-4%... Maybe I 4% more, I didn't notice?

Does regular dam count in the same way weapon dam counts for broadside? It's far easier to get damage items currently then weapon dam items, would like to think it's counting the same way?
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Postby cyprimus » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:39 am

wow, i got a stun from broadsiding. Nice.
no idea how common they are. Or how common falling over is now.
Good improvement.
cyprimus
Double 40 Poster

Postby Gorka » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:23 am

Falling over is still flipping annoying... I've taken it out of my coliseum scripts again, it's still more a nuisance than a help at the moment.
Gimme a G! Gimme a ORKA!
Gorka

Postby Filk » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:36 am

Maybe its time to move away from hidden damage numbers and show real numbers after each damage done? :roll:
So people will be able to write their own damage meters and everyone will be happy to see their actual output. Especially in groups. C'mon is 2016 year. Every mmo game do it already!
Fluffy
Filk
Double 40 Poster

Postby *teker* » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:24 pm

Teron wrote:My initial results tell me that my broadside damage went up from 40-80 to consistent 60-80.
For me, broadside does about 1.3-1.5 of attack damage.

My logs show lower damage than what you're seeing so I suspect either your counter is off or there's additional damage being added somewhere in the code that I haven't found yet. It's pretty hard to read. My logs show that the base damage for you has about doubled.

Because for me, broadside does 1-2%, whereas 4 attacks deal 5-6% mobhp damage, so broadside isn't doing any damage worth talking about.

What are you doing between rounds if not broadsiding? Just curious. Your numbers would be 17-20 rounds with nothing between rounds or 13-17 rounds with broadside. That seems like something that would be beneficial.

What conditions should be met, so I can deal the triple of my old damage?

Ask Stun. He's doing the best damage according to my logs.
*teker*
Triple 40 Poster

Postby *juggleblood* » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:24 pm

Filk wrote:Maybe its time to move away from hidden damage numbers and show real numbers after each damage done? :roll:
So people will be able to write their own damage meters and everyone will be happy to see their actual output. Especially in groups. C'mon is 2016 year. Every mmo game do it already!

Yes this please. I mean common, we've moved soooo far from Jake's original position that game mechanics should be hidden from the players, and damage done is THE most essential bit of information that players want. Ok, I hit the mob, but how effective was it, i.e. how much damage was done.

From what I understand we intentionally obscure this information so that the players don't nitpick and complain the admin to death. But does it really stop anyone from over-analysing and posting stuff to the forums? I think it does not. This is a hack and slash mud. I attack the mob and hurt it and I just want to know how many frigging hit points I took off the thing, so I can decide my most effective strategies going forward. For 2 decades we've been intentionally obscuring this bit of data, and I think it's been a mistake the whole time.

That being said, I understand this isn't a democracy and other admin have a right to their opinions, but for the record, I've stated mine.

Sorry, I forgot to start by mentioning how much I appreciate the changes mentioned at the start of this thread!
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby *Idjit* » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:25 am

In that vein, are we actually happy that melee "work exp" is currently randomized relative to the damage we do?
Slightly different subject (requiring a slightly different fix) but I thought I'd mention it here.
Maybe we should roll this back.
--Idj
*Idjit*
Double 40 Poster

Postby *Breeze* » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:32 am

*juggleblood* wrote:
Filk wrote:Maybe its time to move away from hidden damage numbers and show real numbers after each damage done? :roll:

Yes this please. I mean common, we've moved soooo far from Jake's original position that game mechanics should be hidden from the players, and damage done is THE most essential bit of information that players want. Ok, I hit the mob, but how effective was it, i.e. how much damage was done.

From what I understand we intentionally obscure this information so that the players don't nitpick and complain the admin to death. But does it really stop anyone from over-analysing and posting stuff to the forums? I think it does not. This is a hack and slash mud. I attack the mob and hurt it and I just want to know how many frigging hit points I took off the thing, so I can decide my most effective strategies going forward. For 2 decades we've been intentionally obscuring this bit of data, and I think it's been a mistake the whole time.

That being said, I understand this isn't a democracy and other admin have a right to their opinions, but for the record, I've stated mine.

Sorry, I forgot to start by mentioning how much I appreciate the changes mentioned at the start of this thread!

I actually would not be against this except for the fact that I would get people asking me details on it.

there are a million and one things that can affect how much damage you do. I don't feel the need to clarify then on a per fight basis. having said that, I wouldn't be against a toggle that says if you turn this on * or if you don't turn it on *, dont ask the admins why you do X damage.base damage can easily be calculated. any bonus damage, not.

after my vacation I may do a test run of something like that actually. just depends on how I feel and how much bs I have to deal with afterwards.
*Breeze*

Postby Ker » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:48 am

Guten Tag Breeze!

Wir hoffen dass Sie bei guter Gesundheit sind!

To address your concern - I firmly believe that the players of Sloth are at the minimum in this regard. Minus a few handful.

Since Telegram took part, we have been a voice of unity and strength. What's changed? Majority are slowly understanding the dire need of a subtle approach. I will personally see to it a mighty druid slap to anyone who harasses you with a million questions without even asking what you ate earlier!

Have fun and don't trip on your vacation!

Prost,
Dr
Ker
Double 40 Poster

Next

Return to General Chat (Registered)