An Old WHO list

Use this forum for general discussions

Postby jezer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:14 pm

Nothing seems to surprise me about the history of this game... was it really about cheating... or was it more to do with certain immortals not liking the 'russian clique' of immortals. In my time here... there has been a number of scandals obviously involving current immortals... the rye bread doesn't just accidently change to 2 gold coins... the phoenix doesn't start popping shield and feathers practically every pop... game bonuses don't just turn on more when people on the other side of the world play... I bet these things are probably only the tip of the iceberg.

Which imm evented purloin aura? Thiefs stealing spells... *laughing* Whats next, thiefs stealing shapeshifts... We have players who in there career have been both pthiefs and immortals, building secret rooms into there areas... Why is it the russian imms are the ones to get pushed out hard and fast... just seems fishy to me... with that level of corruption going on behind the scene's I guess any one of us could log in tomorrow and find we are wiped for no reason or explanation.
jezer
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Clink » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:14 pm

There's some sort of belief here this is a cat and mouse game and the mice are smarter/cooler/better? than the cats because they find some way to play the game that wasn't intended.

Sloth is the game, not Imms versus players or cheaters. As creators and benefactors of the game, we do our best to provide a game that is fairly balanced, interesting to play and stays within the theme of Sloth. When we find players or immortals abusing "bugs" or their power, we take action to correct it.

In a game and environment this complex there will likely always be ways for abuses to happen. We can't "fix" it all ahead of time. Perhaps that is why people think we are acting like cats and pouncing on those poor innocent little mice.

We don't pick our players and don't care to. I can assure you I'd prefer intelligent, forthright, cooperative and contributing to self-serving, conniving and immature.

We do pick our immortals and work to cultivate an environment where we can trust them. Our trust has been violated on many occasions by people of every nationality. We take subjective action based on that person's history and the severity of the event. It's never the same twice because these things are never the same for two individuals.

We do believe we have a better understanding of what is likely to tempt an immortal to be a cheater and the primary factor is not nationality. In fact, we value diversity, but primarily as it enhances our collective contributions, not at the expense of it.

[quote="Autolycos":ytnjr277]

i think it's more about the fact that most people dont like it when someone out smarts them... this being the case. as with anything, when an individual shows the cleverness to change the playing field, ie find glitches or tricked code.

the common thought is that its bad....

*snicker[/quote:ytnjr277]
Clink
Greater God

Postby jezer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:20 pm

[img:1o1l6nbr]http://catbaret.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/cat-hiding-mouse.jpg[/img:1o1l6nbr]

Pretty well stated there clink... almost like you work in public relations or something... :wink:

I'm also amused by the censorship of my last post...
"Don’t let me become the man that I say that I despise."
jezer

Postby Autolycos » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:10 am

I think you might have misunderstood me Clinkster. I agree with you.

I'm not debating morality or whats right, that's really not up to me. It's up to the rule makers, they're the ones who set the balance. Cleverness can be made productive or destructive by the user alone.

hence the comment. "the common thought is that its bad" :wink:
Autolycos

Postby Tap » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:03 am

[quote:1mdkwk69]the rye bread doesn't just accidently change to 2 gold coins...[/quote:1mdkwk69]

snicker
Tap

Postby *Splork* » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:33 am

Kjartan both came up with and coded most of purlion and he has never played a character on Sloth III.

Splork
*Splork*
Site Admin

Postby marge » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:47 pm

It's kind of irritating when people post snarky comments about the admin. It is just a free game with a volunteer staff. If you find an exploit that gives you some unfair advantage, you should just report it, instead of being a punk and feeling like you 'got one over' on the admin.

So much of the player feedback is rude and immature.

The best way to get stuff pushed through is to repeatedly suggest it politely. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Also using the bugs, ideas, and typos command will get you a lot farther than whining on the crier or sending up random pages on the game port. These commands attach your input to a file that is guaranteed to be seen by the right person. (The right person being the one who has the time to attack the list.)

And the cheating immortals being dragged up are from years ago. I don't see where anyone is going with this conversation. Everything the immortals do is logged and observable by the higher admin. (Who don't even play the game for the most part.) Are you trying to troll the Russians or troll the admin? If you have a serious point, make it. Don't be a worthless troll.
marge
40 Prime Poster

Postby jezer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:29 pm

[quote="*Splork*":14odg8b7]Kjartan both came up with and coded most of purlion and he has never played a character on Sloth III.

Splork[/quote:14odg8b7]

:oops:
jezer

Postby Tap » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:43 pm

Marge makes a good point. I would like to remind the coders that you can still steal drachma by the new character creation bug.Have a nice day.
Tap

Postby jezer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:45 pm

I see the wardens have given you back your internet access again tap! :evil: Good behavior? I doubt it... :twisted:
jezer

Postby Bazilus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:12 am

lol
Bazilus
Double 40 Poster

cheating

Postby Evergreen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:02 am

marge, then almost every1 here is cheater with bad behavior - magestyle, when I was able to solo almost all mobs with oldclasso, was up for few years until jake changed it.
Evergreen

Postby marge » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:12 pm

I think the word I used was punk.

Evergreen ~Old school punk~

yah?
marge
40 Prime Poster

Postby Evergreen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:56 pm

i believe every1 was abusing it, even imm mortals :) PUNKS!
Evergreen

Postby OldTower » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:23 pm

This was taken 2-16-2001

*Wizards of SlothMUD III*
-----------------
[ *Oddity* ] Judge beep me if you need me

[ma cl th wa] Players
-----------------
[ *Avatar* ] Ryo of the Arkashic Brotherhood
[ *Champion*] Tanat walking in the Air
[ *Elite* ] Turbo $$$$ ISLAND NATIVES $$$$ GHOULS $$$$
[ *Elite* ] Medved finally got 400 mana
[ *Defender*] Fiction taking bets on Sloth Competition winners
[39 40 40 40] Nighthawk is ready for stage 3!
[40 38 40 40] Rojak quest
[40 40 35 40] Blackmore ...
[40 37 40 22] Wasp is 45 years old now
[32 40 20 40] Smoky
[25 38 18 40] Boa The Slothoctonous Porphyrogenitus
[40 37 15 25] Werelord <~CHAOS~>
[40 36 21 21] Riurik <~CHAOS~> .
[20 27 32 40] Vrta will not play as often
[32 40 12 19] Janux WTB TRIS (100k)
[38 39 18 24] Mardik -+-
[31 20 22 36] Garr working on getting more firepower now.
[13 21 28 36] Siqo WTB +dam equip with AC
[25 20 34 15] Aziz Shadow Assassin
[ 8 17 26 10] Click has tri's for sale. 100k
[ 6 13 9 23] Repunzel with the really long hair.
[ 5 1 1 12] Gunc The Greatest
[ 0 0 0 1] Gvarvins the Untitled
There are 27 visible players.
OldTower

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat (Registered)