massive lag?

Use this forum for general discussions

massive lag?

Postby Weasel » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:19 am

anyone else lagged for like 10+ minutes now? ..even the website seems sluggish..
Weasel
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Corwin » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:33 am

stupid change after stupid change after stupid change...why not try to get the mud working again before anymore ******* changes!!! you want me to vote..stop ******* around with all these changes...
Corwin

Postby Akasha2 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:40 am

Ok Corwin, no more new areas then, cause I froze us while working on building a new area for the _very apprecitive_ people.

I apologize for the inconvience to everyone, wonder what I should do with my area now though since Corwin doesn't want anymore stupid ***** changes.

Akasha
Akasha2
Greater God

Re: massive lag?

Postby Nyx » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:40 am

[quote="Weasel":1do90nzk]anyone else lagged for like 10+ minutes now? ..even the website seems sluggish..[/quote:1do90nzk]

I can't get on at all anymore - is it just me? :(
Nyx

Postby nexus » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:42 am

Hey there! take it easy. the changes that are being introduced in the game are not bad... they are to make it more realistic and corresponding to some adnd rulez...
And the hang-up of the mudserver that is happening now is not to be considered "a ******* change".

started this mud for more than 5 years ago and dont think it is getting worse..
as for voting - that isnt' a matter of fact vote rate drops....

consider only if it is fair
The road to success is hard
and only the best survive...
nexus

Postby Corwin » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:49 am

who the hell said anything about new areas? the more areas the better. making a new area isn't what i consider a "game play change". and as far as the recent changes the only one thats worth talking about is the change to the "offer" command at the inn...
Corwin

Postby Medios » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:02 am

Its all good Akasha, im personally glad your working on the game. To defend Corwin, the game has been highly unstable. I tried running eq/sbs the last few nights and it seems the game crashes every 1.5 hours. This is disheartening, im sticking with coins. Good think I autosave after every kill and every time I type score.

Mike
Medios

Postby Gnu » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:20 am

2 everyone: no reason to stop building areas! Immortals make changes, common players are complaining, bitching etc... and they all are the parts of one machine, the name of which is SLOTH III!

The funny thing is that immortals themselves gave us a tool to express our attitude to the work they are doing (of caurse for free, but anyway they like it :)). And it is a normal situation when someone (Corwin or me or someone else) use this tool. Fortunately, peaple here are wise enaff to not follow the way of "I'll stop voting - I'll stop building - I'll tell everyone that you suxxx - I'll panish you - You are dork! - stfu - I'm leaving - Ok game over! Sloth is closed!"
Gnu
40 Prime Poster

Postby Zalasta » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:45 am

OK here's something that I've been wondering about for awhile now. Don't the immorts have a test mud that they can try these things out on or something? They've brought it up in the past, I remember one time sloth was down for like a week they let us all log on the test mud and gave us grenades. I ask this, because there are a lot of changes going in that don't seem that well tested, ie the sacrifice change recently where it specifically said that atheists would be able to sacrifice in the altar room of a god, only it turned out that wasn't true. At least, that's what I heard, I wasn't on when the change went in. My point is, that would've been something that clearly should've been tested on the test mud, considering it was specifically mentioned in the help file.

So, is that mud gone? Is it just not used anymore? I mean, the mud does crash a lot recently...
Zalasta

Postby Weasel » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:03 am

I think Tower used to run that backup, but Tower has since left the building..
Weasel

Postby kjartan » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:49 am

Recent crashes have been new bugs that appeared during building. (Not bugs in new code, just bugs we never noticed before). We aren't going to do our building on a test mud, it's too much of a pain. That would mean when anybody was building, they wouldn't be online to watch for problems or socialize. We want to make things as pleasant for our builders as possible, and part of that is not imposing a bunch of restrictions on them even if it does mean we get the occasional freeze or crash.

We do of course test new code offline before it goes in; usually when there is a problem with new things it's because we didn't think of something, not because we didn't test it.

Regarding shutting down the mud, interestingly that's what happened in Sloth I: at one point we reduced backstab multipliers a tad, and there was so much bitching about it on the board at the west gate (no crier in those days) that we just decided it was not worth the grief and closed it.
kjartan
Creator

Postby Weasel » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:56 am

heh, was that a threat or a promise? :twisted:
Weasel

Return to General Chat (Registered)