A coding idea to help leaders.

Use this forum for general discussions

A coding idea to help leaders.

Postby Medios » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:45 pm

I dont know if this is worth your time. Last night while leading I noticed one of the hardest parts of a group is the protect chain. People coming and going constantly tends to leave gaps in the order since for some reason folks wont check/fix protect without private tells. Im wondering how hard a command like checkprotect would be. Command would only work for a leader and would just show a list of the current chain. If a protect was missing, possibly None would show under that persons name then the second chain would start etc. If someone had no prots they wouldnt show on the list etc. I don't get involved much with these ideas since I know a minimal amount of info about how to write it. I believe a command like this would expedite groups and be best for everyone since we can get moving and stop standing around asking every person in group if protects are good. Thanks in advance for even considering this.

Mike
Medios

Postby Leaf » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:11 pm

You know the immorts won't. They would rather have the group to CF :)
This way it's more entertaining.
Leaf

Postby kjartan » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:03 pm

This has been suggested before. We probably aren't going to do it. Thanks for the suggestion, though. If you are interested in automating the protect checking process, it seems like it could be done in the client if everybody in the group had the right scripts. Not that I am advocating this.
kjartan
Creator

Postby Leaf » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:04 pm

Like if the leader does gt 'PROTECT NOW'
We do a auto protection the person under us. However most leaders like to be right in the middle for protection unless tanks, or no protections.
Which of course causes an issue. Alot of work me thinks...
Leaf

Prot Script

Postby Avatar » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:47 pm

I don't know if anyone perfected it, but if you started at the top and workd down the group, protecting each person, you could quickly find out whether the protect chain was correct or where it's broken. If the chain is correct, you shouldn't be able to protect anyone but the tank and the person below you.

Maybe I'll work on a concept script and see how it goes.
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Aleksey » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:50 pm

Leader gt fw and all group firewinding by defolt

No realy good idea, for most people look at prot its only one thing that requered in group Rarely blinding, rarely winding and now found bah type score and see you proted or not so deadly hard and impossible mission

Plus so much addition factors shows prots ok or not:
on tank screen not enough mob attacks
unexpected mirror
unexpected servant

If tank dont see that find another who can see

Leader always can try prot tank

Imho If you found that dork 2s was not protected ungroup him, next time he first will groupspamm that he not proted befor you even think about prots
Aleksey
40 Prime Poster

Postby Ditheca » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:07 pm

I do have that group script to check protects, I also use it to recite recall on everyone in the group (3-6 man groups) instead of using CF sticks. It works great!

I suggest every leader write some good scripts to avoid common CF problems
Ditheca
40 Prime Poster

Postby 12345 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:14 pm

While you're at it, why don't you replace the link for 'Play SlothMUD' to go to Wintin.org instead.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby Medios » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:27 pm

I understand there are several ways to find out. My point is that not everyone runs with a client. Trying to protect everyone in the group can work, but not if the order is bad. Also thats alot of work in a 15man group like the ones I run. Being dependant on triggers isnt cool imho. As far as ungrouping ppl, I try to not do this very often. Yes I will but sometimes things happen, link loss is one example. If I ungrouped every time someone wasnt responding then they come back from lost link pissed wondering why. With the large influx of newbies I guess well just have to let them die to learn. Killing the avatar newbs will be especially fun.

Mike
Medios

Postby Autolycos » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:07 am

hey now :P
Autolycos
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby impz » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:27 am

nod, kill all those stupid newbie avatars and 3x40, yayayaya.

Especailly one who has the name starting with A and ends with cos.
what is life if full of care, if we have no time to stop and stare?
impz
40 Prime Poster

Postby firebrand » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:20 am

how hard is it to type the word group and look to find your char name and see the name under you and type protect <victim>? then type score to see if the name above you has you protected and to see that you did not try to port the person below you because you typoed...and yes, death is a good teacher. if you get a groupie who simply will not prot even though he/she/it has the skill learned, then drop the prots! prot the person below the one who won't and watch the blood flow. frankly i am quite tired of hearing "who do i prot" over and over and over from the same people time and time again - these are also the ones who never carry recalls or even know that those recalls can be used on other ppl and never seem to have their own coin but always need to borrow it. guys what the hell are you doing with all of your coin if you are not banking it? are you sleeping in not safe rooms where pthieves and thief mobs are stealing all of your coin? are you shocking/corpsing out, refollow leader, get all corpse and split your coins because you did not rest first?
firebrand
Triple 40 Poster

Postby 12345 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:36 am

It's not too tough at all until you get in a group of 15 without a client and the two people under you fall. Last I looked, there's no disclaimer that says 'It is highly recommended that you know how to install and program a client to play Sloth.'

The number of new folks is huge, a large number of them don't have clients, and most of the newbies grouping on Valk aren't newbies.

I agree with Mike that assuming everyone has a client is a bad idea.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby Medios » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:44 pm

Also note that not everyone is as skilled as you Firebrand. There are alot of players that still get the whole group killed because of bad prots...

Mike
Medios

Postby Leaf » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:03 pm

Firebrand is "skilled" ???

Sits behide Firebrand and becomes the backseat driver :)
Leaf

Return to General Chat (Registered)