GROUPING INFO FOR NEWBIES!

Use this forum for general discussions

GROUPING INFO FOR NEWBIES!

Postby rith » Mon May 30, 2005 12:40 am

Ok i just lead a Bh group and had some difficulties with the newbies.
I aslo realise there is insufficient information in grouping for newbies, especially in big groups.

Id like to state some pointers for those newbies that want to group.

1) Ok before you enter group, you need to group self then follow the leader. Do that by typing: group <name>; then follow leader.

2) Second problem i had was poeple refollowing the leader. Once youre grouped you dont need to type fol self then fol leader again, I know some people tend to refollow the leader after they get lost or enter the portal. This happened to me when i was a newb too. The bottom line is once youve followed the leader youre set and you dont need to refollow any more.

3) I also found that newbies tend to get lost when protting is concern. Prots (protects) are improtant as they keep the group alife. You should always prot the person below you unless stated otherwise. Those without prots are advice to stay at the end of the group (in order to be last in the group type: refol and youll end up last)

4) Recalling in groups are also a big NO when you get hit or youre low on hps. Cause if you recall youll break the prot chain of the group and ppl starts dying. In such situations is best that you "sing" so the group tanker can rescue you. If the tanker does not do so, just get hit and die, dont worry cause group will raise you afterwards.

5) Ok in a case that someone youre protting dies, please take note and immediately prot the person below you (after the dead person).

6) Ok this point really had me. Some newbies didnt know what to do in groups. In a big group, casting Blindness, Weaken, Webs, or any other offensive spells works for the group. You can also take part in healing also. Worsts come to worst you can just "assist" the tanker and do nothing. But pay ATTENTION.

7) Healo are group healers. They take turn to heal the tanker so he is a life. There is also a thing call FLOAT. People who float are healo that just heal the tanker whenever is necessery ( ie tanker hp is low). Newbies can take part in in healing by floating.

Thats about all i have to say when group. And Impz adds that you should carry 5 recall scrolls with you all the time and red and white staff (recall staff) is important for those who are grouping.

8) Ohh and yeah, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION WHEN GROUPING!!!!! dont bot like some ppl i know, (well you can bot if youre good at it)

Thanks. If i left out anything, please point it out to the other thanks.
rith

Postby impz » Mon May 30, 2005 12:57 am

Some personal suggestions i would like to give.

1. The problem with many new players is that they do not buy enough of scroll of recalls and get lost in the world of sloth (which is pretty big). Hence, it is always advisable to stock 5 recalls at the very least whenever you go back to town. Scrolls of recall are extremely useful to bill yourself out of any dangerous situation.

To use it, type recite recall <name>. For example, if you want to recall rith, you type recite recall rith.

2. A red and white staff is often advisable for big groups (i consider 5 or more to be big). A red and white staff is a mass recall staff that is held low and [b:10nurv79]MUST BE HELD LOW[/b:10nurv79] before it can be used. It is used to recall all your followers in your group lest yourself.

Hence, a alias to remove your held low, get red-white-staff from container, hold red-white-staff, use staff, then recite recall self is particularly important. It is often easier to get raises in town than a area where no one might know.

3. Rith emphasised the need to pay attention. That is very important.

"Ohh and yeah, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION WHEN GROUPING!!!!! dont bot like some ppl i know, (well you can bot if youre good at it) "

However, botting is strictly not allowed in sloth. It is often just used as a joke at certain people (*poke me*) but in the real sense, no botting is allowed in sloth.

4. A good thing to note in a group as well is that if you have no protect skill (it's a warrior level 1 skill and all other non-caster classes should have it too.), please inform the leader immediately when you join the group. The leader is often oblivious due to the many things he has to do to manage a big group so giving him a grouptell and a private tell telling him/her you have no protects is a good habit.

That's all from me today. I probably add more when i think of more possible ethics.
what is life if full of care, if we have no time to stop and stare?
impz
40 Prime Poster

Postby Aleksey » Mon May 30, 2005 2:56 am

Hey tards stop pressing on newbs that much
no many of tham know that such site exists at all
many of tham playing from telnet and have no idea that sloth crazy hard to play from that client.

Stop complaining that thay are boting , at low levels doubtfull that any real newplayers will bot simply because group fight new for tham and scary a bit, why thay not responding and not doing anything at all because telnet problem , try self type such action with target manualy:
cast 'blindness' 2.green-fruit-bat and if it repeats not once........
(Dont say 2.g works :) ,target t and Tinkles was blind,webed,damned and weakened instead of titan :p )

Some of tham will learn recall, some will never nomater how much advices you will give to tham, self cr teach faster , and thay will have choice spend 1 sec to buy recalls or spend 20-30 mins to do self cr. Maybe its evil thing but try not do cr for tham if see that thay have enough levels and skill to manage to do it alone(got fam,druid,or specific area)

99% sure pearson who recaled during figh from group will never do that again reason? You never done that befor ? and what fealings you had after all group jumped on you after that? :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6) Ok this point really had me. Some newbies didnt know what to do in groups. In a big group, casting Blindness, Weaken, Webs, or any other offensive spells works for the group. You can also take part in healing also. Worsts come to worst you can just "assist" the tanker and do nothing. But pay ATTENTION.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nod Rith especialy webs , and especialy web from newb on unkown kill style mob. ......... ......torturing from some one whole day (already sharpening knife for your head)............

Don't spoil game fun for newbs with all kind of rules its only game, if newbie wonts to teleport lets him do that unless how he will know effect of that spell, how he will know effect of 'fairy fire' spell if will not cast on pearson especialy on group tank
5cents
Death,cfs,torturing - only real teachers in sloth
Aleksey
40 Prime Poster

Postby impz » Mon May 30, 2005 3:03 am

haha, true in a way, aleksey. But at least we give some advice. If they dont listen, there's nothing we can do anyway.

It's true that sometimes death and cr (corpse retrieval) teaches them a lot by their own, but some might just give up. Giving them this advice would help them to overcome some problems at the start and they will learn the problem before it comes.

But i did learn the most when i died and had to self-cr, hehe.
impz
40 Prime Poster

Postby Aleksey » Mon May 30, 2005 3:37 am

Dont have exect log but: :)
Stelios joined group, usual stelios 8 lines of spamm how he good,cool,important in group and such things

Stelios (gtell): Give me some spam
Krok (gtell): what?
Stelios (gtell): Blah what the hell i typing
Stelios (gtell): Give me spec

No grass or vodka in group :pppppp
lalala
Aleksey
40 Prime Poster

Postby Ozzy » Mon May 30, 2005 4:01 am

"Oh the newbies sit and listen
The belief is in their eyes
In an area without recall scrolls
Through the Sloth you hear their cries

But then their eyes just skip the topics
Of a forum that never ends
Is it Jake that moderating?
Do you see the spam again?

Me,"Facing Sloth" :twisted:
Ozzy

Postby Vixn » Mon May 30, 2005 5:00 am

more advices..

How you could help group.
A. Spells:
1. blind - pay attention what leader says, some mobs are permablinded, some mobs are acid blindable only.
2. weaken.
3. chill touch and faeri fire.
4. poison.

B. Skills:
1. bash.
2. trip.
3. kick.
4. circle.
5. monks attaks (strike, stun, counterattack).

AND some spells/skills could be dangerous/silly in battle:
1. curse - there are very often tards in group who could cast 'damnation' - improved version of curse. but damnation couldn't be cast at cursed mob. so - don't curse.
2. web - it depends on casters level. so let tards to web.
3. bless - tards use improved version 'grace'
4. shield of faith (newbie sanc) - heh, this site don't contain any info about it, but you could learn it in VK library. tards has 'aegis' which is much more better then shield and sanc. so you could shield self, not tank (i didn't believe but really it was happen, Bird was shielded by newbie last night and die :) )
5. flail - it'll hit followers (supplicants, undeads) and could hit other mobs in the room. (sure same is true for every area spell/skill).
6. do not create any offensive followers (supplicants, undeads or treants). it could steal exp from group and sure you'll be ungrouped if not pkilled :)
only one way you could use followers - if leader order you to create it. but you must be ready to dismiss em or order to flee.

And the last part:
1. try not to die but be ready to die. I mean you could cure/heal self, spellshield/spectral self, faith/sanc self. you could ask for heal in group, but very often ppl in your group have mana only for 1-2 restorations and will use it for healing tank, not for you and me.
2. do not blast out all your mana. try to spend it wisely. you will need mana for not to let die yourself. also there are a lot of areas with chop mobs. when leader says 'chop' just try to blind/weaken mob, assist tank, use skills. but pay attention what leader says.
3. 'reign of the spider' and 'squirm' are very usefull spells/skills. don't be so lazy and greedy and learn it. or you'll be dispelled after every mob.
4. have recalls and also try to wear on 'protection from evil'. it could help you to avoid demon binding.
5. some areas need raft. buy it in supply stores and have it in you inv for use.

Vixn
Vixn
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Vixn » Mon May 30, 2005 5:07 am

And I forgot to say: make triggers/aliases to turn looter off and do not sacrifice corpses when you start following someone. Last night one silly player... Well I realized they gonna pkill him (or her) but he/she promise not to loot anymore and ship looted item to leader.
Vixn
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Ozzy » Mon May 30, 2005 6:03 am

[quote="Vixn":2bepwc9f]And I forgot to say: make triggers/aliases to turn looter off and do not sacrifice corpses when you start following someone. Last night one silly player... Well I realized they gonna pkill him (or her) but he/she promise not to loot anymore and ship looted item to leader.[/quote:2bepwc9f]

I suspect it was me in Firebrand's group, so let me clean my reputation :)

Sinse we have Autoloot (that just plain ROCKS) we dont need triggers like this one:

#action {^Total exp for kill is %1.} {get all corpse}

or similar.

BUT! Let me remind, Autoloot works only on SOLID mobs. You turn Autoloot OFF - you wont get anything from the corpse. Also, Autolot MUST be turned OFF when the group is killing quest monster that loads *PERSONAL* item - only the person that undertook the quest must loot. Situtation is alittle different with ETHEREAL mobs, they just drop all they have on the ground after being killed. Do i really need to say that ground is the hella worst place for items to be? There are looting mobs, there are crashes etc. NOTHING BAD will happen if someone will "take all" after ether mob is killed.
Ozzy

Postby Krok » Mon May 30, 2005 6:16 am

Well, my 2 cents. I agree with all the rules that were mentioned already. But...

Here are some hints.

1. If you are newbie, lowbie or new to the area - please, do only what leader says. That means you shouldn't wander thru area, full of agro mobs, attack them, etc. Don't enter portals when the leader didn't ask you to.

2. Make a right targeter. That's a combination of triggers/aliases (very simple even for a person who doesn't understand programming etc) that allows you to set target automatically after leader says target bla-bla. Don't attack wrong mobs or leader will pkill you. :))

3. Sometimes leaders are tired. See, we are ppl, too. Maybe u joined 1h ago and he or she was leading a group for 8 hours before. So don't whine smth like "KILL MY MOB!!". Usually, leader remembers all ur mobs if they are set in ur gjob. When u are in eq group - setting gjob <mobname> is like a must, imho. But, if you are a little guy without a lloyd's beacon spell and ur mob isn't in the area that is already being killed, or next to the town, that means your mob won't be cycled. Unless someone has a spare beacon and will set it for you.

4. Yes, no botting. That means not only going afk for 10 mins without a word, but also paying great attention. Be fast, because your slow entering the portals or recalling may slow down the group. Try to answer leader's questions.

5. If you call a mob that leader doesn't know: set a beacon, tell him/her directions to mob and tell what kind of a mob it is - if it casts, procs etc.

6. Sometimes leader says some strange words about "wild magic" rooms. These are rooms where spells you cast are screwed. That may cause your restore spell happen to be a lump coal in your hand. That's why don't cast silly spells like infravision or create food in such rooms.

7. Protects. Don't whine smth like "I have more hps than him, I have more ac, why am I below him?". Leaders usually don't care. They might put a big avatar below you and you should sit quiet and protect him.

8. Don't annoy the leader unless you are his/her friend. Yes, I'm happy with Aleksey's cursing about "clerics again do stupid things" and with Impz's spamming etc. But that doesn't mean you should spam like hell, esp. when the leader says smth like "cut the spam, cf mob is coming". Don't blind/web groupmembers for fun. We hate it.

9. Cf's. When the whole group is dead and no one, even leader, didn't save it and all eq is looted by nasty mobs... Well, don't whine again. Wait patiently while leader finds a way to get ur stuff back. Maybe it will be a familiar, or undead visaged player or simply he/she will call avatars for help. Btw, leaving group right after the cf is a bit sucky. Leader will understand you can only sponge your exp and whine. :)

Ok, that's my pov.
From Russia with love.
Krok
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Gnu » Mon May 30, 2005 8:09 am

A question! why do ppl edd only 2 cents? not 5 $ or even more?

As for newbies, I am totally agree with Aleksey. And if you are a leader good or bad, exprerianced or not, the first thing you must do is to protect group from newbies mistakes: form prot-chain so it will not break due to newbies flee, let some expereansed players make a floating healing if regular healos are lagged, botting etc. Players follow leader when thay need exp, eq (i do not count afk/chat/safity groups).

If you are worring about looting personal eq, then do not be a newbie, check if all looters are turned off - kill a small mob.

Are you tired and can't watch for everything in your group? Let someone else do some of your job, like checking repops, make healo administration, loot corpses, talk to newbies.

Some one not entering portal? Or he/she fled/recalled/whatever? Was that a tank? Can't u continue killing mobs w/o that player? I dont belive that a real newbie (and lowbie too) can be a reason of such big problems... And if he does not couse unsolvable problems, then just prot over and continue running. He dead? Need CR? read Aleksey's post.

And one more thing. The best way to learn sloth is to start leading groups. There is a tone of areal for groups of all sizes, etc.
Good luck
Gnu
40 Prime Poster

Postby Krok » Mon May 30, 2005 9:24 am

Ummm, dear Gnu. You're talking like we really have problems with lowbies not entering portals. Well, as for me - I don't. 5,4,3,2,1 - ungroup, that's simple. But our posts were to make _newbies_ (not leaders!) understand how to make leader's life easier and to become an experienced groupmate, and then, maybe a leader.
From Russia with love.
Krok
Triple 40 Poster

Postby blackmore » Mon May 30, 2005 10:16 am

All this is good, but it's way too much information for a newbie. Give them the absolute basics, they'll improve once they learn those. Anything else is overkill.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby impz » Mon May 30, 2005 10:27 am

[quote="Aleksey":a8fjz072]Dont have exect log but: :)
Stelios joined group, usual stelios 8 lines of spamm how he good,cool,important in group and such things

Stelios (gtell): Give me some spam
Krok (gtell): what?
Stelios (gtell): Blah what the hell i typing
Stelios (gtell): Give me spec

No grass or vodka in group :pppppp
lalala[/quote:a8fjz072]

Ok, u totally got me there, aleksey.
impz
40 Prime Poster

Postby Gnu » Mon May 30, 2005 4:43 pm

[quote="Krok":vnpkb2o8] But our posts were to make _newbies_ (not leaders!) understand how to make leader's life easier and to become an experienced groupmate, and then, maybe a leader.[/quote:vnpkb2o8]

That's like to teach me how to swim. I will never know how to swim until I try, and only an instructor can help me, the one who is near me and teaches me. All ather advices are useless. And of course, you know that different leaders have different style of leading. When I see such advices for newbies like "DO NOT DO THINGS THAT LEADER DID NOT ASK YOU TO DO", then I have to disagree! I like to see followers that can help group w/o my order. And it is possible only when players do something themselves, when they plan how to use their power and see their own mistakes.

Hm... too many words... Blackmore said everything :)
Gnu
40 Prime Poster

Next

Return to General Chat (Registered)