Is Warcry overpowered?

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes : 23

warcry

Postby Qa » Mon May 23, 2005 8:47 am

So I grouped for the first time in a couple of months Friday night. Deju lead a nice tight group, I got another 5% or the way to a level, and I wasted a couple of hours. Sloth usual.

I have posted frequently about not being able to keep up with all the crap that gets added to the mud, and couldn't read the help file with the group spam going, so it took me a while to figure out this warcry thing.

I think warcry is horrendously overpowered.

In my "group" mode I am running a touch over 800 hp (with stamina up.) Pretty buff for an old-school Cl/Ma yeah? Imagine my surprise when I notice my hp over 1000! This is cool, but every once in a while it will happen with a eudaemon in "tank" mode. Next thing I know my hp is over 1100! Stop the bus - somebody put me in Sarge!

Not sure what all warcry does, but what is the idea with this? A 40% hp increase is a big deal.

Qa

ps - Now if ya want to give me a cleric prime spell that bops up my hp 40% that would be truly cool.
Qa
40 Prime Poster

Postby kjartan » Mon May 23, 2005 9:01 am

It's supposed to max out at +100 maxhp. Possibly there's a bug.
kjartan
Creator

Postby Deju » Mon May 23, 2005 9:01 am

One thing to keep in mind:

Our tank for that group (Bird) has a very large number of kills associated with his warcry. The higher the # of kills, the better the bonuses... or at least this is what i understand. Therefore Qa, what you were getting was probably somewhere around the top of the heap as far as bonuses are concerned.

Is warcry overpowered in general? Maybe, but I personally dont think so. Is warcry overpowered relative to other aspects of the game? Absolutely NOT. There are plenty of other aspects of the game that are way, WAY out of control (high level Juju and followers come to mind quickly, although i could come up with more).
Deju
Double 40 Poster

Postby kjartan » Mon May 23, 2005 11:22 am

We're going to leave it alone. If it's overpowered, it's only much overpowered in big groups, and what can we say, we like big groups.
kjartan
Creator

Postby Autolycos » Mon May 23, 2005 12:51 pm

thats good to know.. I have over 1000 kills on my warcry atm, and my group sunday was getting +50 to +100hp on cry and it was great..

As far as Bird goes, that meatshield is just a badass tank anyway, so i would expect to get crazy bonuses from his warcry..

LONG FLAP DA' BIRD!! :twisted:
Autolycos
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Leaf » Mon May 23, 2005 1:11 pm

Well Bird is OLD School class order. More Bad ass are like Ash, Ninja and
Flight
Leaf

Postby Leaf » Mon May 23, 2005 1:11 pm

Well Bird is OLD School class order. More Bad ass are like Ash, Ninja and
Flight
Leaf

Postby kjartan » Tue May 24, 2005 3:40 pm

I thought I'd warn you that there does appear to be a bug in warcry, and I intend to fix it. Sometimes it may be applying the effects twice. I'd suspect if you're seeing the message twice, then you're getting the effects twice and you should not be surprised if this stops. (For example, the max hp bonus it can give is +100; the level below this of hp bonus is +60. If you're getting more than +100 then you are definitely getting affected twice).

Also, I am going to change it to make the hp bonus work like temporary hp do in D&D, which is that you get them during the warcry and if you use them, great, but if you don't they go away when the warcry wears off. Basically, damage goes to the warcry extra hp first, and only when they are exhausted does it start hitting your real hp. This will fix a possible exploit where warcry could be used for free (if slow) healing. Allegedly there is not widespread use of this exploit, in which case this should have little visible effect.
kjartan
Creator

Postby Qa » Tue May 24, 2005 4:05 pm

Not sure if my sieve that I call a brain can remember correctly, but it didn't seem like I was getting +200 hp for joining a single attack after uttering the warcry. Bird and the Deju were smacking through mobs like no tomorrow, so the warcries and RIPs were pretty close together. Think that I was getting the +100 bump every other kill or so, and I lose the 'excess' hp kinda slow, so that is how I got to 1.1k and change.

I am trying to understand here, though. You consider it ok for a ca/ca running in a 'regen' mode to be able to amass 1100 hp through warcry? Those juju's must really effing be powerful, if this is considered 'in balance.'

Here I thought I was going to be cool and all. I have (half-heartedly) been trying to amass a complete set of +hp items. Thinking that at 5x40 I would get to about 1k hp in -10 gear. (A tanking cleric! Film at 11.) Parry eliminated any real usefullness of this, and then the addition of +spelldam EQ made +hp gear for non-warriors even more so. Just funny that I can finally get not 1k hp, but 1.1k. Hell, I could probably get to 1.2 or even 1.3 k!

-Qa

Edited for spelling mistakes.
Qa
40 Prime Poster

Group, group, group

Postby Avatar » Tue May 24, 2005 4:56 pm

That's pretty much only going to happen during large groups. Warcry when you're soloing isn't quite so powerful.
Triple 40 Poster

Postby 13 » Wed May 25, 2005 8:49 am

Get something valid to whine about already QA.
The perfect blend of poetry and meanness..

Postby kjartan » Wed May 25, 2005 9:34 am

Ok, changes are in next crash or reboot. These are that

1. instead of raising your max hp, warcry will now give you the same amount of temporary hp. These will look like they are over your max (310/300 or whatever) but they won't bleed away like over-the-max hp usually do. They will however go away immediately when the fight ends. Damage comes off temporary hp until they run out, then off real hp. Temporary hp cannot be healed.

2. The bug that sometimes applied the effects twice is fixed.
kjartan
Creator

Postby Leaf » Wed May 25, 2005 10:40 am

So tanks that use to find this skill "useful" is now useless for them...

Good job QA, let the bitching from tanks/groups begin!!!
Leaf

Postby Alberich » Wed May 25, 2005 10:45 am

extra hps are useless? maybe it's just because I never run in groups, but the logic in that escapes me...
Don't be stupid - we have politicians for that

Alberich

Postby 13 » Wed May 25, 2005 10:51 am

that dude ******* pisses me off
The perfect blend of poetry and meanness..

Next

Return to General Chat (Registered)